Touring China. Which cities are worth a visit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hie Guys,

I'm looking to tour China with my family come december. Any recommendations ? CHina is huge.... . Its a 10 day trip max... . Leave photography out of the picture for now, my family's enjoyment is paramount.

huangshan.. :thumbsup: suitable for family also.

wilis128 said:
huangshan.. :thumbsup: suitable for family also.
But it will be winter in China then. Winter can be quite cold. How about eastern China such as Yunnan areas?

eric69 said:
But it will be winter in China then. Winter can be quite cold. How about eastern China such as Yunnan areas?

huangshan is not that cold as its position can be considered south of china... beijing and other northern part of china even worse during winter :)

wilis128 said:
huangshan is not that cold as its position can be considered south of china... beijing and other northern part of china even worse during winter :)
Oh. But consider it being so high up in the mountains, it would be freezing cold! But anyway Huangshan is nice. The morning scenic view on top of the mountain is great. It has this saying that the view on top (in the morning) is like standing on clouds .. Like some immortal in the sky! A definite worthwhile trip, but the climb up is "killing" unless you pay for some sedan ... hehe..

wah got to go china :) sure got lots of things to shoot.

Actually i also hope to go china someday :) Cos the scenery is simply stunning.

You could try the jiuzhaigou valley. I've heard the scenery there is simply stunning and will be heading there myself this nov. ;)

Stoned said:
You could try the jiuzhaigou valley. I've heard the scenery there is simply stunning and will be heading there myself this nov. ;)

Yeah, the Jiu Zhai Gou is fantastic, i tot in between winter and spring is the good time to go, dun go on summer cause the lake will dry.
But heard a lot accident there ... hard to reach that place, is it true ??
Need to reconfirm.
Anyway this is my next target place to go after just visiting Beijing.... :thumbsup:

Given now is approaching Winter and turning cold (btw, i am in china now and it's between 3-15 degrees), the northern part of China can be ruled out unless you wanted to experience Har-er-bin ice-carving etc...

I think Yunnan will be a relatively good choice as it's cooling. Alternatively, maybe, Hainan island.

jiu zhai gou is nice,not sure about the weather..but Guilin is worth a visit as well very serene kinda place with very very nice mountains and lakes..
was there 4 yrs ago and the province is under a major upgrading for their roads which i heard is scheduled to be ready in 5 yrs..should be almost done by now.

By the way... is China notorious for robbery and pick pocketting ? Can I walk alone in the street with my Camera hanging over my neck with no problems at all ?

marcwang said:
By the way... is China notorious for robbery and pick pocketting ? Can I walk alone in the street with my Camera hanging over my neck with no problems at all ?

China is pretty safe if you are in a crowd. As for pickpockets, i can't say so,just have to be alert and make sure things are kept properly to deter them. It's the same everywhere. In any case, so far, i have not encounter any problem,... maybe my Manfrotto tripod is a very good deterrent! ahaha. :bsmilie:

marcwang said:
Europe is equalling bad lah. I don't recommend that you show your camera in public, but if you wanna hang your camera on your neck, maybe use a black tape to cover the brand e.g. Nikon / Canon ..

first of all, WHAT does your family enjoy doing? shopping? countryside? visiting religiously/politically significant places? chinese history buffs? beach? eating? long bus/van rides? roughing it out? seeing snow first hand?? etc etc etc etc.......

and, does your family mean all adults or are there kids too?

THEN its easier for us to recommend.

ed9119 said:
first of all, WHAT does your family enjoy doing? shopping? countryside? chinese history buffs? beach? eating? long bus/van rides? roughing it out? etc etc etc etc........

THEN its easier for us to recommend.

I wanna experience the culture (like having some noodles in the middle of the forest with a "xiao er" to serve me :bsmilie: ), I wanna see scenery that will stun me, I wanna see history, I wanna see that temple in the middle of nowhere on a hill top amongst the clouds with 2 shifu drinking tea and playing chess.

Is that too much to ask ?

marcwang said:
Another question.......

I realise it might be minus 20 degrees at times .... do u think my D100 can take it ?

yeah i reckon your d100 can take it... but can u? :bsmilie: bbrrrrrrr...... :eek:

beijing and shanghai for the shopping and scenry, old and new... guangzhou and hangzhou for the delicacies... :D

jonlou said:
beijing and shanghai for the shopping and scenry, old and new... guangzhou and hangzhou for the delicacies... :D

Went to hangzhou once but no time to walk around. Ended up only have a tour of Xi Hu (West Lake) on the car... sighhh

I heard Xi Hu is exceptionally beautiful in winter especially when the ice formed to bridge the Duan Qiao (Broken Bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.