Tour Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipha

Oct 17, 2006
As the school holidays is coming and my family is going on a Europe trip, armed with a Canon 350D with standard lens and a 90mm-300mm, wonder it is enough? Do i need any other lens?

Thanks and sorry for the newbies question.

Europe has vast sceneries that may demand a superwide.

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm, while not a necessity, would be a welcome bonus.

Having said that, you existing 2-lens setup should suffice under most situations. Due to the cooler climate, a second battery could prove to be more important.

Enjoy :)

As the school holidays is coming and my family is going on a Europe trip, armed with a Canon 350D with standard lens and a 90mm-300mm, wonder it is enough? Do i need any other lens?

Dude how often do u travel? n how often u tink will u be taking pictures in e near future. If the answer is no, then i suggest ur kit lens is more than sufficient. No point in rushin to get a lens and not using it later.

BUt if u'r into landscape(wide) n dont mind spending, EFS 10-22 is a good buy.

a kit lens is good enuff. not sure what's the 90-300 for, unless u want to take candid pic of ppl/faces. i wouldnt bring the long lens .... save space to carry family things and shoppings.

Thanks but how much will the 10-22mm cost? as do not want to miss the scene too.

- If you have the budget for a new lens, then let us know how much, and we'll find ways to use up all the budget.
- But a little more seriously, if you're just planning to go on holiday and take some photos along the way, your kit lens is enough. Kit lenses are designed with people like you in mind. You don't want to be carrying too much equipment and be a target for thieves.
- You're going on holiday for fun and not to sell your images, so no need to worry about having every range from 10mm to 300mm covered. I've gone on holidays with a 50mm lens only and came back happy.

well the Canon 10-24mm cause $1100 at Alan Photo without GST...
so yup...if ur willin to spend tis amount y nt...
its a good len for those scenary shots

If you know you want it... if you don't have to sacrifice much... ie, if it's within your budget (you have that disposable income), get it !!! Yes, it's only an EF-S but this Canon superwide is a very welcome addition to bring along to such fine places you have in mind.

Yes, you could go for a holiday with just the basics and come back very happy; but you could also go to Europe with the 10-22mm and be back even happier!!!

*** if only i could mount it on a Nikon DSLR; sad

Don't forget a 2nd battery too!

I will be going on a tour next month to Europe with family.

My gear?

1 Olympus E1 with 14-54mm. This alone will take care of 95% of my requirements. The rest of the 5% I just do not bother with. This is for color.

2 I have not yet decided on my camera for B&W film. Either a SLR with a fixed 28 or 35 mm lens, or a rangefinger with a fixed 35 mm or 50 mm.

well the Canon 10-24mm cause $1100 at Alan Photo without GST...
so yup...if ur willin to spend tis amount y nt...
its a good len for those scenary shots

Will give that a serious thought and discuss with my wife about it. As first time going europe thus do not want to miss out lots of things. Thanks.

I am going this saturadayThailand for two week for Loy Kathong festival, my gear is canon 15mm fisheye; 17-40Lf4;28-135IS -DSLR 10D;1V film body. compact camera Leica minlux 2.4 lens.

Will give that a serious thought and discuss with my wife about it. As first time going europe thus do not want to miss out lots of things. Thanks.

A sure way not to miss out lots of things is to enjoy the trip with your family and not worry too much about photography. :)

What you have should be sufficient.

But I would pick up an Olympus Mju II (28mm f2.8 lens) and a few of rolls of slide film - Fuji Velvia 50/100 or Provia 100/400F too. The Mju IIs go for under a $100 on Ebay nowadays (in mint condition).

You can't visit Europe and not capture it on film. You won't regret it and it would be a sin if you don't do it.

If I travel light, then a Olympus E-1 with a 11-22 would be all I need.

is there any travel restriction to UK? :think:
ie. DSLR & equippments can bring onboard to cabin?
restricted size of luggage bag for onboard cabin?

is there any travel restriction to UK? :think:
ie. DSLR & equippments can bring onboard to cabin?
restricted size of luggage bag for onboard cabin?

See the SQ site for their latest update (other airlines have similar pages advising their passengers). At one time they only allow some basic personal stuff in a clear, see through plastic bag. All cameras and stuff are to be checked in.

This is the latest from Cathay Pacific for your reference :

UK Latest Travel Information
Last updated: 27 September 2006 15:30 HKT

Other General Information

Passengers travelling from UK or connecting onto British Airways (BA) flights from London

The Department for Transport in the UK announced changes to the UK's aviation security measures, notably increases to the size of cabin baggage that can be taken onboard an aircraft. The changes came into effect on Friday 22 September 2006.

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport are required to be aware of the following:

The new hand baggage restrictions are as follows:

1. ONE item only of cabin baggage is permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm (22.0" x 14" x 9") (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.
2. Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm (22.0" x 14" x 9")(including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) are allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. Passengers should contact Cathay Pacific Reservation office for special arrangements.
3. No liquids of any kind are permitted. The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures, aerosol spray and the contents of pressurised containers (for example, toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups and perfume). These must be checked in as hold baggage.
4. Cigarette lighters are NOT permitted in hold baggage or through the security search. These may be purchased airside.
5. The bag CAN now include:
* Electronic equipment including mobile phones, digital cameras and MP3 players (such as iPods)
* Prescription medicines in liquid form, sufficient and essential for the flight and verified as authentic; baby milk and liquid baby food (which must be tasted by the accompanying passengers).
6. Laptops must be removed from the bag for X-ray.
7. Pushchairs and walking aids are permitted but must be X-ray screened. Wheelchairs are also permitted but must be thoroughly searched.

All remaining items in pockets - for example, car keys and fobs, cash, solid food, books, newspapers, cigarettes and tobacco - should be placed in the clear plastic bag provided. Please note that passengers may be subject to a hand search by the security team and required to remove footwear to be x-ray screened.

There are no changes to current security measures for hold baggage.

Passengers are advised to check in as normal but to expect delays.

Other General Information:

Passengers are advised to pre-pack their hand carry items in their check-in baggage. Passengers are also advised not to pack valuables or fragile items in their checked in baggage. Cathay Pacific will not assume liability for any loss or damage of such items checked in. Passengers are advised to check they are covered for loss or damage under their own personal insurance.

For more information, you may visit the following sites:
UK Department for Transport : www.dft.gov.uk
British Airport Authority: www.baa.com

Note: This is linking to an external website. Cathay Pacific Airways is not responsible or liable for the information contained in any external websites

* These arrangements are subject to change by the British Airport Authority and the British Department for Transport. Passengers will be advised of any changes accordingly.

I am going this saturadayThailand for two week for Loy Kathong festival, my gear is canon 15mm fisheye; 17-40Lf4;28-135IS -DSLR 10D;1V film body. compact camera Leica minlux 2.4 lens.

Like going for war. Just joking.

A sure way not to miss out lots of things is to enjoy the trip with your family and not worry too much about photography. :)

Agreed with that and thanks.

This is the latest from Cathay Pacific for your reference :

UK Latest Travel Information
Last updated: 27 September 2006 15:30 HKT

Other General Information

Passengers travelling from UK or connecting onto British Airways (BA) flights from London

The Department for Transport in the UK announced changes to the UK's aviation security measures, notably increases to the size of cabin baggage that can be taken onboard an aircraft. The changes came into effect on Friday 22 September 2006.

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport are required to be aware of the following:

The new hand baggage restrictions are as follows:

1. ONE item only of cabin baggage is permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm (22.0" x 14" x 9") (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.
2. Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 36 cm and depth of 23 cm (22.0" x 14" x 9")(including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) are allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. Passengers should contact Cathay Pacific Reservation office for special arrangements.
3. No liquids of any kind are permitted. The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures, aerosol spray and the contents of pressurised containers (for example, toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups and perfume). These must be checked in as hold baggage.
4. Cigarette lighters are NOT permitted in hold baggage or through the security search. These may be purchased airside.
5. The bag CAN now include:
* Electronic equipment including mobile phones, digital cameras and MP3 players (such as iPods)
* Prescription medicines in liquid form, sufficient and essential for the flight and verified as authentic; baby milk and liquid baby food (which must be tasted by the accompanying passengers).
6. Laptops must be removed from the bag for X-ray.
7. Pushchairs and walking aids are permitted but must be X-ray screened. Wheelchairs are also permitted but must be thoroughly searched.

All remaining items in pockets - for example, car keys and fobs, cash, solid food, books, newspapers, cigarettes and tobacco - should be placed in the clear plastic bag provided. Please note that passengers may be subject to a hand search by the security team and required to remove footwear to be x-ray screened.

There are no changes to current security measures for hold baggage.

Passengers are advised to check in as normal but to expect delays.

Other General Information:

Passengers are advised to pre-pack their hand carry items in their check-in baggage. Passengers are also advised not to pack valuables or fragile items in their checked in baggage. Cathay Pacific will not assume liability for any loss or damage of such items checked in. Passengers are advised to check they are covered for loss or damage under their own personal insurance.

For more information, you may visit the following sites:
UK Department for Transport : www.dft.gov.uk
British Airport Authority: www.baa.com

Note: This is linking to an external website. Cathay Pacific Airways is not responsible or liable for the information contained in any external websites

* These arrangements are subject to change by the British Airport Authority and the British Department for Transport. Passengers will be advised of any changes accordingly.
Thanks for the detailed information.

Status
Not open for further replies.