Touching up blemishes in Model Portraits

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
What's people's general views on touching up models portrait pics?
Is it fine to remove skin blemishes such as moles, pimples, stratches, bruises etc?
I tend to like my pictures flawless, although some people may think that permanent marks like moles should remain?

Is it fine to remove skin blemishes such as moles, pimples, stratches, bruises etc?
I tend to like my pictures flawless, although some people may think that permanent marks like moles should remain?

Depend, if it's a birth mark I normally leave it alone. For pimples & scar I would PP away.

I even pp acne blemishes for portrait for friends...I feel they spoil the portraits:bsmilie:
but not moles...it's part of the person's identity i feel...

Very subjective...

If the photo is for that person, ask if they would like specific blemishes removed or minimized.

If the photo is your showcase of work, the artistic decision is yours, generally.

I agree with acne, bruises, stratches, anything non-permanent, but unsure on moles.

I generally remove them because i'm going for smooth creamy look, and moles may be distraction.

blemishes should be removed for the most part.

for moles, birthmarks etc, sometimes you can leave them in, that's up to personal preference. also depends on the size, etc. for example, if the mole is the first thing that everyone sees, then it is a problem that needs to be removed. like DM says, it depends on what you're shooting the pictures for.

the main problem that is seen here in cs is to touch up to the point where the model's skin no longer looks like it's living. it looks like a wall of wax, smoothened to the point that if you threw anything on it it would slide right off. that is not the way to go, some amount of skin texture should be retained to bear at least a wee bit of semblance to something human.

Last edited:

Likewise, i will pp those undesiring parts away.. but never too perfect to a extent that it appears unnatural.. *know when to stop* :)