Totally newbie! Come and share if you won't vomit blood :D

Csboi

Jul 18, 2011
Pulau Ubin
Hello everyone, I am lately kind of fell in love with photography and have decided to try it out. First step has been made. I bought a second hand Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens. Some of the photos I see is really very nice taken. Like see already, it's like I am at the scene itself. :bsmilie: Anyone got tips to share on how to take wonderful photos? Like the angle, or what ISO and stuffs? When to adjust the ISO thing. And what other things can be adjusted? Newbie needs help here. Please be kind and share if you don't mind.

P.S. Wonderful photographs makes my day! :thumbsup:

Protip: Read Newbie stickies. When you have a more specific question then you can probably try asking again.

Please read up online on exposure and photography basics. Also, the stickies that are posted in the newbies corner for a good reason.

there is no magic magic setting. all parameters have a purpose. once you read up and understand, you'll know how to effectively use your camera

there is not tips to wonderful photos.

you've got a very decent setup already.
so next is to google/borrow book on all the basics of photography (ie. exposures, shutter speed, apertures, ISO, depth of field, lighting (natural/artificial) )

with those basics, you can start trying out the aperture priority and shutter priority modes, understand the different meterings of your camera, and thus from there learn what is lacking and the limitations.
Which will then lead you to use manual mode to overcome those limitations.

After reading and trying, you'll have more specific questions to ask, where we could help better.
enjoy your journey on photography! :D

Last edited:
Csboi said:
Hello everyone, I am lately kind of fell in love with photography and have decided to try it out. First step has been made. I bought a second hand Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens. Some of the photos I see is really very nice taken. Like see already, it's like I am at the scene itself. :bsmilie: Anyone got tips to share on how to take wonderful photos? Like the angle, or what ISO and stuffs? When to adjust the ISO thing. And what other things can be adjusted? Newbie needs help here. Please be kind and share if you don't mind.

P.S. Wonderful photographs makes my day! :thumbsup:

I would advise you to approach the process of learning photography in a similar way to learning how to drive.
You learn some fundamental concepts (steering, braking, accelerating, etc) and you 'should' be able to apply them to most driving situations :)

You don't need to memorize "oh, when traveling along Orchard Road, I should be in 3rd gear and my RPM should be ..."

I would advise you to approach the process of learning photography in a similar way to learning how to drive.
You learn some fundamental concepts (steering, braking, accelerating, etc) and you 'should' be able to apply them to most driving situations :)

You don't need to memorize "oh, when traveling along Orchard Road, I should be in 3rd gear and my RPM should be ..."

:thumbsup:

Many of the things are trial and error (at least to me). You need to practice and shoot more... and you need to read your manual for the different settings in your camera (you can download it from the net if you didn't have a manual). And like many others had explained, you need to read exposure and other stuff like that from the net.

Actually from the net, what you wouldn't find alot was the setting in absolute values because there really is no absolute values... it was like a really amazing shots was shown in the flickr of some photographer, he might have the EXIF information in it... however if you imitate or copied his every settings, but you wouldn't get the same result as he/she had. That is because there are different lighting condition, angle of shots, etc. So it is pretty redundant to come in here and ask for settings in absolute value - like "How much ISO value should I set, f-so and so, shutter speed etc... because all you would get is, "set high (or low) ISO, set bigger (or smaller) aperture value and so on and so for.

Hope I am not confusing you more.

This month's Digital Camera Magazine includes a free A-Z SLR tips book.
I found that the tips provided in the book to be very helpful and I did learn quite a bit from it (I'm also new to photography).
Maybe you can check it out as well, it retails at 14.90 at Kinokuniya :)

Look thru the works of different photographers.. See which photographer makes u have a closer look at your screen. That may be the genre you're into. Personally, I like Henri Cartier-Bresson and Daido Moriyama's works.. From there.. you'll know what you have to learn.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot guys! And I am thinking of editing the photos, the funny thing is that I have Photoshop but I don't really know how to use it.

Thanks a lot guys! And I am thinking of editing the photos, the funny thing is that I have Photoshop but I don't really know how to use it.

you can learn from the videos on youtube..
many many videos available..
And most importantly, free :D

Buy a book from the bookshops, amazon, whatever, read the net on how to use photoshop and also be specific if you want your questions to be answered in any meaningful way. When I say specific... I mean, "What do you want to do with your photoshop. what effect are you trying to achieve?"

Err... From your many threads, I guess you're very excited about what you can do, from shooting the photos, to editing them etc... But perhaps the better approach, would be to take these 1 step at a time??

If you're unsure of what to shoot, how to achieve the shot you want with your camera/set-up, then photoshop won't be able to miraculously turn your photo into something that you dream of?

Csboi said:

I have Photoshop cs5 n lightroom 3 but i dun reali Noe how to use it as well. Still in e midst of learning, searching for videos books n asking frens is my approach now lol
Jus learn as we progress, shoot more n edit more =x

For me, I'm trying my best to keep PP at a minimum. Try to achieve effects in camera. You'll be amazed at the things you can do. :)

For me, I'm trying my best to keep PP at a minimum. Try to achieve effects in camera. You'll be amazed at the things you can do. :)

hi

always interested in learning new things.. mind sharing?

Lacus21 said:
I have Photoshop cs5 n lightroom 3 but i dun reali Noe how to use it as well. Still in e midst of learning, searching for videos books n asking frens is my approach now lol
Jus learn as we progress, shoot more n edit more =x

A little amendment to my post, not saying to be over reliance on pp tho, I use Photoshop mainly to touch up on e models skin and removal of distracting items or filling up missing parts when stitching images.
Msg is when u practice a skill more n more u get better at it
Be it photography or editing, we all start out in e learning stage ^^

hi

always interested in learning new things.. mind sharing?

Hi.. Generally, i try to do what film guys did.. rear curtain sync for light trails with flash, telephoto lens for portraits to reduce skin smoothening, grey cards, white card etc.. it adds a lot of challenge to the photograph. But I shoot in raw so I can still do high quality PP if i need to..\

It's not much.. but i try.. LOL