Totally New on buying of cameras.

kelun1

Aug 27, 2014
Space! =)
Hi guys,

my gf and i have been using our cameras phone all the time, but sometime both of us will agree that quality of the photos come out quite bad. so this time we have decided that we should get a standalone camera for ourselves.

I really know nuts about camera and sorry if my questions were to kill any bros here. :embrass:

Normally we will use the cameras for the following:
1. selfie (its the gals things :sweat: )
2. scenery during out trips (phone taken one are quite =( at times. maybe we digital zoom too much to capture far image? because the image looks pixelated)
3. food
4. fireworks! (Yearly event ya!)

basic looking points for the camera:
1. selfie (so meaning the screen should be tilted 180 degree? or i saw Samsung have one which have additional lcd at the front one?)
2. weight is an issues, so DSLR should be kinda out as its kinda heavy for its body.
3. decent night function? because fireworks?
4. outlook of the camera (too "ugly" she may not wanna carry around :sweat: )
5. budget wise. I think between 500 ~ 800. can go 1k, but i dont know if it i needed or not. haha!

Camera i hands on before:
1. Samsung Nx Mini : Really like the size and weight of it, but dont seems to be able to zoom far with the it?
2. no more. As the rest have got no batt for me to try.

we dont mind trying something slightly complicated, as it maybe a stepping stone to something advance!

Thank alot to anyone who help! =)

While I can't think of a camera to suggest, but I think I should point out something....

The Night Function you want for the fireworks shooting.... Is it for the selfie with fireworks or to shoot fireworks and landscape stuffs?

If you are going to be shooting fireworks as part of the landscape, you just need a camera with manual controls (e.g. those that can let you choose various settings like aperture, shutter speed and ISO) and a stable tripod..

It sounds like you are both just looking for something fuss-free but can still produce better images. From experience I can recommend the Samsung NX300. It's ridiculously user-friendly and but can produce images that will likely be just nice / suited for your taste.

As for selfies, you'll need to look out for the model that allows >180 degree tilt (I think that's the NX300S? Not sure).

For fireworks .. don't expect the fireworks (pun fully intended), but I've caught some decent ones with it. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you won't get the best fireworks shots with the fireworks scene mode (I know it's ironic) but another scene mode instead ... night I think? You'll need to toggle with it a bit at the start.

Body aesthetics - it's still one of the prettiest mirrorless models to date. Vintage look. Don't get the white although that's damn pretty (becos obviously the colour can't last ... mine's yellowing slightly after about a year of moderate use). Not sure if brown has good resale value either, so safest is the black.

Firsthand off the shelf retail is $900+, but you can find a lot of under-utilised 2nd hand sets for slightly cheaper in Carousel. I got mine firsthand (with additional complimentary 50-200mm lens) for $850 from ebay. If you're open to purchasing from international sellers, you can even find complete firsthand sets at just about US$400 - give or take. Not sure about warranty status though.

Some people don't think the price justifies the camera's outputs, but I've managed to squeeze some really gorgeous shots of my son (still and moving) with it so depends on user's expectations too. For the UI convenience (touchscreen LCD, including focus points), body look / style and flexibility of interchangeable lens system, I think it's worth it especially for your intended use and since you have the cash to spare.

Last edited:
If u are not ready to invest in a interchangeable lens camera systems, some of the prosumer grade compact cameras fulfil ur needs, provided u know what u are doing and not just use full auto mode.

A few candidates are sony RX-series, canon powershot G and S series, Panasonic lumix LX series, and fuji X series compacts.

If Canon is one of the brands you are considering, pop in to the Canon showroom in Vivocity. It's next to GV cinema & Challenger on the 1st floor. You can try out the range of point & shoot compact cameras. It's a showroom, they don't sell cameras there. But you can try the different models for as long as you like. And if you finally decide to buy one, registering online will get you 3 more months of warranty (15 months).

If Canon is one of the brands you are considering, pop in to the Canon showroom in Vivocity. It's next to GV cinema & Challenger on the 1st floor. You can try out the range of point & shoot compact cameras. It's a showroom, they don't sell cameras there. But you can try the different models for as long as you like. And if you finally decide to buy one, registering online will get you 3 more months of warranty (15 months).

Same goes for sony. They have a showroom at 313 where u can molest almost anything there.

Lots of options for 'selfie' cams out there but this one just came in. Literally announced today:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2305964581/olympus-pen-e-pl7-compact-mirrorless-camera-announced
http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/products/dslr/epl7/

What you shoot:
1. LCD flips 180 degrees downwards, specifically designed with some selfie functions.
2,3 and 4. With the kit (optical zoom) lens, it should handle most photographic genres just fine. (yes, digital zooming will result in pixelation if you over-do it).

Camera points:
1. Selfie: see above
2. Its in the mirrorless interchangeable lens category. It'll be much smaller than DSLRs but not as small as some compact P&S
3. The camera will be capable of night photography just fine. The onus will be on you learning to use it.
4. I'll leave this one to you - too subjective.
5. No pricing yet but I suspect it should fall within your budget.

------
Just noticed that the older E-PL6 does selfies too but the LCD flips up instead of down. I suspect the E-PL7 will have more customised selfie functions though.
Pricing should be a bit higher than the E-PL6's current street price given its the replacement model and brand new.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks to all bro for the introduction.

Firstly I will go take a look at those cameras that are introduced.

Next I will drop by canon and sony show room too! I didnt know there is one that display camera other then mega store. Haha.

Because like some of the bro mentioned, we arw not very into complicated ones as we are worried that we will just buy and collect dust if we dont know get to understand it :(

samsung nx support raw shooting mode??

I keep reading about selfie so you may want to consider a5100.

Casio seem to make popular selfie cameras. Perhaps the ZR1500?

If u Are not in a rush , consider the E-PL7 , just did a review for it so u can see for yourself what it is capable of ;) Go check it out at General -- Reviews

Last edited:
consider a Canon Rebel series. 500d or 550d. good performance and second hand price berry cheap. but not heavy.

hi guys. been looking around for some time..

rx100 m3 : very nice and handy camera. quite like it but the price tag is WOW! can anyone advice if this camera zoom function is it further then nx mini's zoom lens? didnt get to see the diff as inside the mall :p

a5100: *edit* not out in market yet right?

nx mini: nice and handy too. but i was told that this camera only have 2 lens now... and the only zoom lens dont seems to be able to take very far too.

E-PL7: didnt see any E-PL7 around. so didnt get to try it =(

Last edited:
hi guys. been looking around for some time..

rx100 m3 : very nice and handy camera. quite like it but the price tag is WOW! can anyone advice if this camera zoom function is it further then nx mini's zoom lens? didnt get to see the diff as inside the mall :p

a5100: *edit* not out in market yet right?

nx mini: nice and handy too. but i was told that this camera only have 2 lens now... and the only zoom lens dont seems to be able to take very far too.

E-PL7: didnt see any E-PL7 around. so didnt get to try it =(

I saw the a5100 selling at Sony stores, I think it's out already...