TOTAL NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY!!

zahidzed

May 26, 2013
Tampines
Hey, I have zero knowledge about photography. What shall I purchase for my first ever Dslr????

You should READ THE FAQ threads. They are there for a reason.

Specifically:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html

Also:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newb...m-related-faqs-other-useful-info-newbies.html

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/206981-photography-related-faqs-links-newbies.html

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/309544-photography-notes-newbies.html

Now, do note, the WORST THING you can do is ask other people what to buy. You should make up your OWN mind and choose a camera that is best for YOU.

Hey, I have zero knowledge about photography. What shall I purchase for my first ever Dslr????

You should increase your knowledge about photography first.

Very difficult to answer your question, bro.

Not that we are being harsh or what, but you would need to give us more information, instead of stating that you have zero knowledge. You can ask question on what you don't know and we will try to help you in term of photography, but don't ask us what you shall purchase... because different people had different preference for their DSLR.

zahidzed said:

Any budget? Any particular genre? This can help narrow down choices.

canon 500d and kit lenses

if you really have no idea what photography is about and have never tried it before...but you still want a dslr, i'd say go for a 1100D. Cheap, so you won't feel such a big loss in the pocket if you decide the hobby is not for you...if it is, you can still use it for a good 2-3 years before moving on to a better camera =)

You should switch off your Caps Lock when typing subject lines.
You know that you don't know anything - that's a good starting point. Going further does not need a camera as first thing, but the patience of reading that has been posted here numerous times. Happy reading :)

If you have zero knowledge, you should not be buying a DSLR.

Go read up first and get some knowledge before you buy.

maybe post some pics from ur camera phone...see what comes up...

dun get into the hobby just because so n so bought one and its cool to have one too.

Start with a digital compact! Learn how to use auto!

Start with an entry-level DSLR, as long as it fits your budget. One thing I've learned is that photography as a hobby is not cheap, and it takes many moons to build a system, if your interest lasts.

Any entry-level DSLR can be like a bicycle on training wheels - there's the full auto mode which you can wean off as you explore more into the semi-auto and manual exposure modes. My opinion is no point getting into non-interchangable lens options when pretty soon you want to experiment and then find your current equipment limiting to play with. You may want to rent lenses to experiment as you find out which lens suits your developing shooting genre - it took me some time to find out what the genres I'm comfortable shooting in.

Most importantly, keep yourself in the learning cycle - read and practice, and then read some more. Books, forum posts, internet articles, whatever. Bounce your ideas off friends and don't be afraid to experiment.

most affordable starter's kit:
500D
50 1.8
kit lens

most affordable starter's kit:
500D
50 1.8
kit lens
The 50mm is not for everyone, but I guess it's cheap enough to not make a huge dent should OP not like it..

Don't have to be DSLR to be called Photography rather to what extent is your passion? I remember playing with my kfc mini cam, and I actually took the initiative to shoot at crazy angles. Heck, even a mobile can shoot, or a lomo. I even saw someone shot something with his Samsung HP, and seriously it was WOW (but of course, he's a real photographer), great compo and angle. It all boils down to your skill and needs and how far you want to take it, also theme of interest, etc. If you don't know where your interest is, how to get the lens for it? 16-55mm=wide 50mm=up close and personal 200mm=shy stalker 400mm=sniper etc
But then as age catching up, so does my long windedness.

Last edited:
i realized i could understand more about aperture width and depth of field when i actually had a camera where i could control the aperture values. just saying !

if u really want a dslr decide between nikon or canon as u will definitely think of buying lens after playing with the camera for a while and these 2 brands have the most lens available in the market today.