TOTAL NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY!!

Hi there. Read your post and about your statement.

I hope I am not long winded but I am able to give you a general guide on what is photography about.

Photography isn't just about buying a camera to take pictures. It is a live long passionate and enjoyable hobby for many.

In order to start off on the right footing, may I suggest that you read up on photography, there are plenty of beginners reference materials that are available online, the public library and bookstores. A good source is the photography books section at Kinokuniya Orchard, a vast selection of photography books of all level is available . Browse for books on photography for beginners.

Begin by reading up the basics of digital photography. Then general photography books about the general controls of a camera. Once you have an idea about what is involved and what is required for photography in general, may I suggest that to start off, get a used advanced compact camera or a used entry level DSLR camera. This way you will be able to learn about photography without much cost and difficulty. Also you will not be overwhelmed with all the controls of more advanced cameras.

The next step is to read the camera manual front to back and learn to use the camera really well. Next is to read up on books about the creative art of photography.

When you are confident on the usage of the advanced compact camera or entry DSLR camera and is able to set and use the camera to capture pictures that are satisfactory, then prepare yourself to have full manual control of the camera and use it to its full potential.

From here onwards if you are still interested on photography, my suggestion is that you practice to take pictures whenever possible, continue to read, join club outings, take up courses on advanced photography and digital editing & etc.

When you have truly hit the limit of your gear by then, you will be well and truly prepared to make your own choices to decide on what is the next camera and lenses to buy.

if u really want a dslr decide between nikon or canon as u will definitely think of buying lens after playing with the camera for a while and these 2 brands have the most lens available in the market today.
And which beginner needs all these lenses? On the other hand: there are more than these two brands with each having unique features, functions and concepts, coupled with a good range of lenses. Looking only at Canon and Nikon is very shortsighted. Especially since brands matter so little in the final result.

And which beginner needs all these lenses? On the other hand: there are more than these two brands with each having unique features, functions and concepts, coupled with a good range of lenses. Looking only at Canon and Nikon is very shortsighted. Especially since brands matter so little in the final result.

I really like what you had said but sometimes it is not easy to convince or explain that to layman, eg why you should choose this and not that or vice versa. Ultimately laymen are more attracted to big brands (eg the Nikons, Canons, etc) and I think nobody can deny that.

if u really want a dslr decide between nikon or canon as u will definitely think of buying lens after playing with the camera for a while and these 2 brands have the most lens available in the market today.

That is seriously flawed thinking. Although Canon and Nikon offers the most number of lens, but no one would want to get ALL the lenses... and for those most commonly used ones all brands of cameras (Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc) have equivalent ones too.

The logical thinking would be to ask TS to do a research on what he want in his camera, then shortlist the brands of cameras that had those features in it. Then go to the shop and test out these cameras and do more research into which one suits him better (in term or ergonomic, price, form factors, right down to sounds of the shutter release).

Btw, TS had disappear after the first posts and never to heard of again. I have this nagging feeling that we can ignore this thread because obviously TS doesn't really show much interest in all the advise given.

Start with the iPhone , if you can create wonderful images from there .. then u can move on.

Good (Any) camera doesn't mean great pictures.

By saying that the 2 brands have the most lenses, does it mean that one has to buy all of them to enjoy photography? I do not think so. Once you know what you want to shoot, you will pick a few of the lenses for that genre.

I really like what you had said but sometimes it is not easy to convince or explain that to layman, eg why you should choose this and not that or vice versa. Ultimately laymen are more attracted to big brands (eg the Nikons, Canons, etc) and I think nobody can deny that.
I don't deny that and I admit that I followed the same pattern when I got my first DSLR. Today I would not do it again this way because I know about the different options. This freedom of choice should be given or highlighted at least in the beginning, to the unknowing newcomers. And then, luckily there are those people who dislike mainstream anyway :)

Why DSLR? Why not start with mirrorless? I think mirrorless cheaper for beginners. I'm using one and lovin it!

Maybe you wanna learn about aperture, shutter speed and ISO relationship before committing your hard earned money. You can search for these on the net or if you are lazy to read like i am, then search in youtube. Loads of vids that would teach you the basics.

An expensive sophisticated camera doesn't make one a good photographer. I have learnt that there is a lot more science involved than a keen eye and an occassional splash of creativity behind every good picture.

Actually I don't believe anyone will have zero knowledge abt photography. If u know how to on ur camera, put subject into viewfinder and press the shutter. Tat is photography in my opinion.
The veterans could be a little crude in regards to their replies. But I think it's either u did not elaborate enough or u didnt even read the stickies which could already answered ur questions.
In the world of photography, it requires one to have upmost curiosity to keep the passion and interest alive. It's also good to look amongst your own circle of friends to find out those who knew a thing or two, to ask "such" questions and they are ok to answer "such" questions. Like what I did. lol
My call for u is to go get any camera that is within ur budget. In the world of photography, a cheap camera/lens might not be a bad camera/lens. But a good camera/lens is definitely not cheap. So if you don't know the stats now, it wouldn't hurt u to jus gauge by the dollars u can afford. I started off with a 600D and I feel it's a good entry lvl cam. But if u ask me now, I will think that I wouldn't mind the single Ds for a starter camera too. Lol
The fact that ur purchased cam and lens will have a certain amount of return value if they are kept in good condition is also a point to take note. Keep them well and u may still get some kaching the day u want to drop photography. Look out for the wtsell forums. There r so many people selling cameras. And even better if u can get the seller to mentor u at the same time.lol