Total Eclipse July 22 2009 - The Eclipse of the Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nenjia

Sep 19, 2007
So prepare your equipment for it?

On the 22 of July 2009, there will be a spectacular total solar eclipse across a large area of Asia. This eclipse is a must see opportunity as there will not be one as long as this one until 2132!

The total solar eclipse of July 22 2009 will be visible across south-east Asia and the western Pacific. This will be a spectacular total eclipse, the longest this century, lasting over 6� minutes at maximum and visible to millions of people over a path up to 258 km wide. The total eclipse begins just off the coast of India at 00:51:17 UT on July 22, and ends in Polynesia at 04:19:26 UT on July 22. The maximum eclipse is at 02:35:21 UT on July 22, when the total phase will last a stunning 6 minutes and 39 seconds. The partial eclipse will be visible over south-east Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Pacific between 23:58:19 UT on July 21 and 05:12:25 UT on July 22

cool~ but i dun think sg can see right?

I know channel U showing this special on tv... at 8am in the morning on 22 jul :)

I know channel U showing this special on tv... at 8am in the morning on 22 jul :)
singaporesingapore2009j.gif

Animated .GIF image, save and view if the image is not animating.

maybe a partially not full? try google it out?:

The July eclipse will be partially visible in Singapore from 8.41am to 9.44am, peaking at 9.11am.

THE eclipse of a lifetime takes place in July, and people here will get to see a small slice of the action.

During the July 22 solar eclipse, the Sun will be completely blacked out, and day will turn to night for six minutes - the longest eclipse this century.

Complete darkness will affect a swathe of land that will stretch across parts of India, Bangladesh, China and the Pacific Ocean, but which will be just 16km- to 32km-wide.

In Singapore, which is outside the band, the Sun will be partially cloaked.

A solar eclipse happens when the Moon passes in front of the Sun and blocks it.

While there are up to five eclipses a year, total eclipses are rare, happening in the same location once every 370 years and lasting mere seconds to minutes. The last one - which lasted about 21/2 minutes - was on Aug 1 last year.

The July eclipse will be partially visible in Singapore from 8.41am to 9.44am, peaking at 9.11am.

Seen from here, 10 per cent to 20 per cent of the Sun will be obscured because of the Moon's path in relation to Singapore's location.

To catch the sight in its full glory, a small band of eclipse-chasers from the Astronomical Society of Singapore will be travelling to the Chinese city of Wuhan, about 600km west of Shanghai, to view and photograph the spectacle.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_349118.html

Last edited:
Hi,
Total solar eclipse are not that rare la... usually there is once every year, but Singapore usually can't see it. Anyway, a lot of my Astronomy friends are also going to china to see it... I no time and $$ to go, so good luck to them and hope they'll bring back wonderful photos.

Have a nice day.

Any of you guys care to spare some film to see the eclipse? Read that you can use 2 or 3 film together and view the eclipse.

Aiya sad that time I will be in school ):

The last time I saw total eclipse of the sun was many years ago out at sea when I was sailing onboard the ship! Unforgettable natural phenomenon. I used a SEXTANT to look at it.

The last time I saw total eclipse of the sun was many years ago out at sea when I was sailing onboard the ship! Unforgettable natural phenomenon. I used a SEXTANT to look at it.

Please use proper solar filter or ( exposed film negative - at worst )...

never never attempt to see it by naked eyes...even if it is a complete solar eclipse...chances is that you cannot really see it, and futher more may damage your retina :(

Last edited:
I remember one recently that was visible in Singapore. I was in a taxi and it was quite late in the afternoon (early evening even). In the taxi, they had those coloured sticker on the top of the windscreen. While still very bright, through the sticker, by squinting, could see the eclipse happening. It was hit/miss though, cos trees would block it and direction of taxi travelling kept moving the image. I remember I was travelling east to west, so lucky me :)

I remember one recently that was visible in Singapore. I was in a taxi and it was quite late in the afternoon (early evening even). In the taxi, they had those coloured sticker on the top of the windscreen. While still very bright, through the sticker, by squinting, could see the eclipse happening. It was hit/miss though, cos trees would block it and direction of taxi travelling kept moving the image. I remember I was travelling east to west, so lucky me :)

That was on 26-Jan-2009, on the first day of the Lunar New Year, around 4.45pm..
It was a partial eclipse covering almost 80% of the sun..
As for this 22-Jul, only a small slice across the edge of the sun..

Last edited:
By the way.. how do we shoot a solar eclipse?

I'm more concerned with 2012 rather than that tsunami :)

we would be able to see the eclipse from singapore, anyway if you want to photograph the sun, u will need a solar filter.. or you can self make from floppy disk's magnetic flim or exposed developed flim (not recommended though)

Hi,
Anyway, a lot of my Astronomy friends are also going to china to see it... I no time and $$ to go, so good luck to them and hope they'll bring back wonderful photos.

This is hardcore man :sweat:

Hello All,

I did a post this morning on this topic as well...I was as excited as you guys. But a lot of you going to be disappointed....I called up Science Center, they confirm we can see 10% only - hardly can see any difference - they also don't have any event on 22 July...too bad :cry::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.