Total Defence Photo competition -- $70,000 worth of prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Yee

Feb 13, 2004
www.fotopassion.com
Dear fellow clubsnappers,

I am pleased to inform you about the following photo competition which is really one of its kind. The prizes are worth a total of $70,000!!! This is a record breaking feat for any photo competition, and we eagerly urge you to participate.

Just in case you need to know more about Total defence and also to download the form, you may like to visit the link below:

http://td2005.totaldefence.org.sg/take_the_challenge.html

All the best and we shall wait for your entries.

Regards,

Steven Yee Pui Chung
Honorary Secretary
The Photographic Society of Singapore

----------------------------------------------------------------
Caught in Action Total Defence Photo Competition 2005

Organiser:
Nexus
The Photographic Society of Singapore

Sponsor:
Nikon Singapore

More than $50,000 Cash and $20,000 worth of Prizes to be won!

As part of the launch celebrations of the Total Defence PhotoFest 2005, we invite entries for the Total Defence Photo Competition "Total Defence Caught in Action"

Whatever the occasion, keep your camera loaded to capture moments of fellow Singaporeans doing their part for Total Defence. It is easy to see how Total Defence is part of our everyday lives and we all have a part to play in it!

Your Challenge

To submit photo that capture different aspects of Total Defence Caught in Action! Scope of topics may include scenery, people and activities centred on each aspect of Total Defence.

Military Defence - Being operationally ready
Civil Defence - Being alert and prepared
Economic Defence - Learning to stay employable
Social Defence - Building bonds among all races
Psychological Defence - Standing up for Singapore

Closing date: 15 May 2005.

Thanks for your info Steven....was wonder why Canon never involve in large scale Photography competition like Nikon....

military photos arn't going to be easy.
shooting esp of exercises, buildings are all restricted.
you can't expect to wait for some buildings to get on fire, and
shoot the firemen at work..

its a challenge.

R there any places where there r frequent marches of the soldier in public roads ?? are those shots illegal ?

I saw some of the shots, mostly are authorised shots by government authorities..

we don't have such privileges access..

Seriously, you do not need to portray soldiers marching/involved in exercises etc or firemen fighting fire to portray military defence and such stuff. Even if you are going to get access its just going to be sterotypical.
There are other more subtle elements that you can use to display the themes of total defence. What matters most is that the pictures bring out the theme and essence of total defence, in ways that are creative.

Here's a suggestion for those NS uncles aka NSMEN :bsmilie: just hang around at home on sat afternoon... position the TV to face the maindoor. Set up the camera along the corridor put on the dusty pair of no.4 and standby the boots. focus the camera to to able to see you putting on your boot while in the distance there's a blurred view of the green mobilisation thingys ;) That's Military Defence - Being operationally ready

bwilly said:

its a challenge.
total defence isn't only abt the military aspect.

there are 5 elements or so, like social defence etc. which refers to bonding, building rapport with fellow singaporeans so as to have a cohesive and united society.

something like that.... correct me if i'm wrong.

obviousdude said:
total defence isn't only abt the military aspect.

there are 5 elements or so, like social defence etc. which refers to bonding, building rapport with fellow singaporeans so as to have a cohesive and united society.

something like that.... correct me if i'm wrong.

Yup,

there are 5 different categories for the open section, and one should not concentrate on just one category.

Let us see who can hit jackpot, winning first prize in 5 categories and walk home with, you can calculate, was it $10,000 cash and more than $10,000 worth of camera!

Klose said:
Here's a suggestion for those NS uncles aka NSMEN :bsmilie: just hang around at home on sat afternoon... position the TV to face the maindoor. Set up the camera along the corridor put on the dusty pair of no.4 and standby the boots. focus the camera to to able to see you putting on your boot while in the distance there's a blurred view of the green mobilisation thingys ;) That's Military Defence - Being operationally ready

Great, this is one creative angle.

We can also have an angle where the car book has the FBO on standby. Oh Yeah!

We can also have an image of an NS boy about tying his boots getting out of the house to get back to camp. On BMT POP day, quite lots of opportunities to shoot interaction between soldiers and family.

At the same time, you can bring your kids for the shoot as there is a youth section, with 5 categories also.

but nothing beats having real military stuffs.
(equipment, A&B vehicles, troops)

Chance much lower of course.

The 4th point of Rules and Regulations states 'The images must be printed by photographic lab process and unmounted.'

Does this means I have to send digital files to a lab and cannot use inkjet printer to print? Any labs to recommend for 8R or S8R digital prints?

CY_OH said:
The 4th point of Rules and Regulations states 'The images must be printed by photographic lab process and unmounted.'

Does this means I have to send digital files to a lab and cannot use inkjet printer to print? Any labs to recommend for 8R or S8R digital prints?

Yup, the digital files must be printed by the lab and not via inkjet.

Nowadays, it is easy to get a 8R or S8R print at prices from $2 to $3.50 per piece. Have a walk around Sunset Way, or Peninsula plaza, and you will find a few. Enough clues for now.

Hi...Steven,

I need some clarification on the rules & regulations in the website. I could get the answer for the followuing questions:

1. It says all photo submitted must be photolab processed....Does it mean we cannot send in B&W prints that we developed in the darkroom and we shld send the original film neagtive for hi res scan then manipulate n software then print at the photo labs? Pls advise.

2. How are we able to get the print back after the competition? There isn't any details on the website regarding the return of prints for those that are not selected or win any prizes.

jcryan55 said:
Hi...Steven,

I need some clarification on the rules & regulations in the website. I could get the answer for the followuing questions:

1. It says all photo submitted must be photolab processed....Does it mean we cannot send in B&W prints that we developed in the darkroom and we shld send the original film neagtive for hi res scan then manipulate n software then print at the photo labs? Pls advise.

2. How are we able to get the print back after the competition? There isn't any details on the website regarding the return of prints for those that are not selected or win any prizes.

Hi,

Point 1 actually means that the competition does not accept inkjet prints. Only accept photographic print, be it lab processed or DIY.

Point 2, the prints submitted are not returnable. The organisers will only use those winning entries for their future publicity purpose.

bwilly said:

its a challenge.

Military defence doesn't mean you have to shoot soldiers with rifles lor... can try going to MRT and take picture of NSmen returning to camps during open mob...? Just a suggestion...

For civil defence... I think you can try going for those CDEC Emergency Preparedness Day... can visit this website for more info...

http://app.scdf.gov.sg/html/newsroom/news_event.asp

*boing boing*

:: There was once a little red dot which was more than a little red spot. A closer look would show that it was really made up of many little dots ::

are we allow to add in caption or title on the photo itself or we can only submit plain photo only ?

Steven Yee said:
Hi all,

I just went to the total defence site and saw they have posted the pictures that were featured in their photofest in Feb 2005. You can have a peek at the images at the below link.

http://td2005.totaldefence.org.sg/photofest_gallery.html

There is no way we can fight with the Army inhouse photographer in the miltary defense...unless the judges really open their 'eye'...

Status
Not open for further replies.