Toshiba e740 , can buy or not eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
saw this in computer times today, not bad leh, got cf slot, got wlan.

any comments from any expert?

TIA.

buy buy buy :devil:

It sure looks like a decent PPC. The built-in WLAN is particularly attractive. The form factor too, is excellent. Alternatively, you can consider the iPAQ 3970 if you don't mind the size. UOB is offering it at $900 in 9 installments of $100 if you buy from Protocol.

Regards
CK

do be careful. there is a recall in the US for this product. check whether the serial number of the product you are going to purchase falls within the recall range before buying.

I will choose iPAQ if I were you. For 900 bucks 3970 is a good pda.

Originally posted by Klause
I will choose iPAQ if I were you. For 900 bucks 3970 is a good pda.

xscale sx250 is overhyped.. slower than strongarm sa1110, go for the 3870...

Originally posted by zephyr

xscale sx250 is overhyped.. slower than strongarm sa1110, go for the 3870...

Xscale processor were designed to run best on CE.net, though it under-perform in PPC2002. :gbounce:

if you like sleek and slim design, then e740 is good. Else IPAQ is still the most popular ppc.

Originally posted by Verre Vrai

Xscale processor were designed to run best on CE.net, though it under-perform in PPC2002. :gbounce:

I think it's the other way round... CE.net is designed to run best on xscale.. PC2002 is optimised for SA1110 Arm4 core if i still remember correctly, while Xscale core is Arm5... that's why performance is not as good as SA1110.

Originally posted by ckiang
Alternatively, get the ultra cool and svelte Palm Tungsten T which is just released.

Regards
CK

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by zephyr

I think it's the other way round... CE.net is designed to run best on xscale.. PC2002 is optimised for SA1110 Arm4 core if i still remember correctly, while Xscale core is Arm5... that's why performance is not as good as SA1110.

Yup, your're right on.
But the problem is that when will PC2002 be optimsed for Arm5?
If I didn't remember wrongly (reading from the net), this won't be anytime soon, as the PPC programmers would have to re-design the coding for ARM5, and it will not be backward compatible with ARM4. So I don't think they are going to re-code just for a small group of xscale users.... (true?)

So it seems that those xscale people would have to run underpowered PPCs for now...

And PS: Just a note for those that are getting under the OUB promotion, go get it quick.
This was what my friend's experience was:
He went to the shop (and he said that the shop was kinda run-down...)
Paid, and he was put on a waiting list...
Stocks will come, but the salesperson isn't sure on when will they arrive......

it wont!
Microsoft has clearly stated that it wouldnt be officially supported ... so looxers like me will have to wait for .NET ... sigh!
M$ does it again!

Originally posted by Jason Ho

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hey, I think Tungten T is a good looking PDA!

But from threads @ SPUG.net, some of them are having problems with the screen having dust on them (most probably entered thru the headphone jacks), and the lack of a MP3 decoder.

And I think they will have their own market of users, especially on those who are already hooked onto the Palm platform.

Just my 0.000000000002 cents. :)

Originally posted by tempest
it wont!
Microsoft has clearly stated that it wouldnt be officially supported ... so looxers like me will have to wait for .NET ... sigh!
M$ does it again!

I think M$ is trying to force people to adopt rather than encourage people to use .NET...

Anyway, after reading this, I'm personally more swayed to PPC now...
(About Palm's lack of features)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/ap/20021107/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_palm_os_5

:rolleyes:

I have tested the wireless signal ... not really impressive ... signal kind of weak compare to iPAQ and HP jornada with wireless CF Card :(

wah very chim eh. i am a palm user for 3 years. i got no clues about ppc. i dunno wat are u guys talking about. guess I have to read more liao..................:(

Originally posted by SNAG

Hey, I think Tungten T is a good looking PDA!

But from threads @ SPUG.net, some of them are having problems with the screen having dust on them (most probably entered thru the headphone jacks), and the lack of a MP3 decoder.

And I think they will have their own market of users, especially on those who are already hooked onto the Palm platform.

Just my 0.000000000002 cents. :)

It is a nice device. Style and design are always the main attraction for Palm devices. Tungsten does have DSP to do MP3 decoding but unfortunately the software isnt ready.

Originally posted by megaweb
:rolleyes:

I have tested the wireless signal ... not really impressive ... signal kind of weak compare to iPAQ and HP jornada with wireless CF Card :(

oh really.........hmm......actually i like it when there are many disadvantages, then i can don't buy and safe money . :D

Status
Not open for further replies.