Toronto anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I'm now in Toronto. Wonder if there are any shutterbugs who've shot in Toronto b4. If so, do you know at which location I can get a good shot of the CN Tower with the city skyline? Do I have to get to the highway?

Thanks!

Head over to Toronto Island for some up close work... Not a lot of great places for skyline work in TO...

Here is a shot I took very shortly after I bought my Nikon 950 3 or 4 years ago.. Anyways. Not of the highest quality but a fun compisition..

http://208.231.0.96/bedpan/Tower.jpg

Originally posted by kiwi2
Hi, I'm now in Toronto. Wonder if there are any shutterbugs who've shot in Toronto b4. If so, do you know at which location I can get a good shot of the CN Tower with the city skyline? Do I have to get to the highway?

Thanks!

Hi Bedpan, thanks. Hmmm, Toronto Island. It's frezzin' cold right now... not sure if I wanna go there. Was told most activities are not on anyway.

Yah, I find it's very hard to put the CN Tower into the skyline. I saw one picture from a Toronto guidebook which looks most reasonable. But I don't know where it was taken. It showed the Tower together with a row of buildings. I suppose it's taken pretty far away from downtown... probably from some highway opposite.

I find it hard to capture a distinct landmark in Toronto. There isn't really a special "icon" like Paris' Eiffel Tower or Big Ben in London... And given this cold winter now, oh boy, no fun being out for long. The sky's usuall a gloomy whitish grey. Though I like the snow! I think a video cam would do much better than a still camera....

Its nice out in Toronto now.. When I was home just a couple weeks ago it was -20 to -25 the entire time.. I think its a balmy -10 now...

If you can show me the picture I can most likely tell you about where it is from. Not saying I am an expert on TO, but know my way around reasonably well..

Another good place to go is Strachan, just south of King. There are the railway tracks there. From the tracks you get a pretty good shot of the Skydome and CN Tower. Some great Night shots there as well... But not the safest area at night ( bring a friend).

You can goto mapquest.com and get a map, or if you want I can email it to you.. Also have some samples of what you might find that I can post if your interested....

Originally posted by kiwi2
Hi Bedpan, thanks. Hmmm, Toronto Island. It's frezzin' cold right now... not sure if I wanna go there. Was told most activities are not on anyway.

Yah, I find it's very hard to put the CN Tower into the skyline. I saw one picture from a Toronto guidebook which looks most reasonable. But I don't know where it was taken. It showed the Tower together with a row of buildings. I suppose it's taken pretty far away from downtown... probably from some highway opposite.

I find it hard to capture a distinct landmark in Toronto. There isn't really a special "icon" like Paris' Eiffel Tower or Big Ben in London... And given this cold winter now, oh boy, no fun being out for long. The sky's usuall a gloomy whitish grey. Though I like the snow! I think a video cam would do much better than a still camera....

Hi Bedpan,

Thanks for the new tips! I don't have a scanner to show you the picture but it's one of those typical shots found in my Lonely Planet guidebook and I believe other travel brochures.

Oh yah... the railway tracks. You were the one who mentioned in a post here some time back about it right? So far, I find Toronto to be pretty safe even at night. But ok, I'll heed your advice if I really do go down there.

Yah, I was here about 2 weeks ago and the temperature was like -15 to -20. I was feeling a little depressed in fact! Now it's a nice -10 to 0 though I'm still not used to it when the wind blows!

Oh, I'd love to have some samples from you. Could you please PM me? Hey, maybe I can capture the winter season at those places and pass them to you too! I just went to the south Union station last weekend and the scene was beautiful. Just white ground and the lake is frozen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.