Torchlights and Photography?

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
Hi all,

I was shooting macros at the Tulipmania at Gardens By The Bay earlier in the day and chance upon a fellow shooter getting into works with a torch.
Never thought too much about it.
Went over to TK Foto as my lady was searching for a backpack and happened to chance upon the Felix line of torches that they are selling.

My question is, what's the link between torchlights and photography?

Is it something to do with flash units or is it for the camera to do some reading or something?

TIA!~

Could be assisted lighting, could be using it to obtain focus in AF mode before shooting, could be light painting. :)

I use them to light up my subjects for focus, find my subjects, find my way around, etc... when doing night macro.

Photography can be done in any location at any time of the day. Having a torch or two in the bag can be helpful at times.

Since photography is about the capturing of light, a torch light essentially can be a source of light for your photos. You can choose to "paint" your photo using the torchlight, which is a genre of photography called light painting.

I used LED lights instead of torch light... mainly to provide additional lighting to create a different feel by playing with shadows/contrast.

Lots of use actually...

1) As Kei suggested - provide constant lighting,
2) Creative Photography
3) Provide more lighting to the environment
4) Videography
5) To give you lighting when you are tracking down some dark places.
6) etc

It is important to carry one for night photography. You just never know when you might need lights. It helps when replacing equipments in the dark - you wouldn't want to lose or misplace your expensive items. LED light is great for street photography, but use with caution and not attract unnecessary attention.

It is important to carry one for night photography. You just never know when you might need lights. It helps when replacing equipments in the dark - you wouldn't want to lose or misplace your expensive items. LED light is great for street photography, but use with caution and not attract unnecessary attention.

That's why i carry a lightsaber around. All of the above and inclusive of self-defense :)

The correct spelling for the touchlight is FENIX
It is a very power LED touchlight that comes with very nice pricing too.

torchlight very good for finding that black accessory in an all-black bag, too.

Can get very gd flashlights cheaply frm dealextreme, jus follow the reviews..

i am wondering if anyone carries those camping fluorescent lamps too, seems easier to use for area illumination?

it just seems so uncomfortable to hold a torch using mouth.

i am wondering if anyone carries those camping fluorescent lamps too, seems easier to use for area illumination?

it just seems so uncomfortable to hold a torch using mouth.

have you tried head-mounted LED lamps?

No need camping fluorescent lamps
For night Macro photography is usually a head light with a touch light.
Below is an example of the headlight used.
30422561-260x260-0-0_Energizer+Headlight+with+6+Leds.jpg

have you tried head-mounted LED lamps?

actually i have one in my van for setting up bridal car decorations in low light.

that's why i have the standing lamp also. but we're talking about area illumination here.

actually i have one in my van for setting up bridal car decorations in low light.

that's why i have the standing lamp also. but we're talking about area illumination here.

You can always get a wide area coverage LED flashlight and tie it to your head :)

You can always get a wide area coverage LED flashlight and tie it to your head :)
wait la.
when im 120 and upgrade to become an angel, you can borrow my halo. :)

A bright LED torch light can be useful to illuminate your subject in low light portraits, especially if you don't have an external flashlight with you. I had at times, used my small LED torchlight, together with a small portable soft box or simply bounce off a wall/ceiling, as the main light source for low light portrait, food/product photography and even some close up flowers/bug photos.

When it comes to a pinch, and you don't have all the "proper" equipment with you for an ideal photoshoot, you just have to make use of whatever you have to assist you. So thats where a torchlight can comes in useful. After all one of the main component of photography is light.

Like that? heh heh! :D