Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Ho

Jan 10, 2003
Punggol
Hi fellow CSers,

I have just acquired a new hobby, and that is playing with torch lights. It all started some time back when I was looking for owls in Pulau Ubin with a small useless mini Maglite. I next bought a 3 C cell Maglite for extra power but decided it is heavy and bulky. I then tried sourcing for some of the most powerful small size torches with high power output. I ended up initially with an Underwater Kinetics Q40 which uses 4 AAs to power. I thought that was it, but until I come across Surefire's website http://www.surefire.com that I realised what I have is peanut.

I am now a happy owner of the Surefire M2 Millennium combat light with 120 lumens light output, a Streamlight Scorpion with 60 lumens light output, and the Inova X5T LED light with about 5 lumens output.

If there is anyone in CS who is interested in torchlight (flashlight in States) hobby, please feel free to write down your experience and/or why you are into this hobby. You may feel free to PM me if you would like to arrange a trip overnight in Pulau Ubin to play torches and take photos.

Andy Ho
http://andyho.clubsnap.org/gallery

What bulbs are those torchs using? are they white light? are these suitable for macro photography lights? Afterall in the web someone build a lens mounted macro (round light) using white LED.

Andy :thumbsup:
cool surefire: their catalog
http://www.surefire.com/misc/2003Catalog.pdf

By the way how much you pay for those torch.

likes flashlight too :lovegrin:

so far i think i have at least 6 flashlights :)

1 pelican mini mitylite AAA
1 AAA maglite (Gold)
1 Energizer Double Barrel (8 x AA)
2 Energizer Double Barrel (4 x AAA)
1 old 2xAA energizer flashlight

oh.. and a specialized flashlight for my bicycle (spoilt recently) :(

caseytan said:

1 AAA maglite (Gold)

Are your double barrel using those xenon (don't know if this is the right spelling) bulb? Is the light white or yellow?

pcwe68 said:
What bulbs are those torchs using? are they white light? are these suitable for macro photography lights? Afterall in the web someone build a lens mounted macro (round light) using white LED.
The Surefire M2 is made for military use and is suitable for use with P60 (65 lumens) and P61 (120 lumens) Xenon+Halogen incandecent lamp with the capability to blind an attacker to allow you time to take action. They are just torchlights for seeing in the dark, and if you want you may use them to do light painting when doing photography.

The Streamlight Scorpion uses only Xenon 65 lumens incandecent bulb, also good enough to blind an attacker in the dark.

The Inova X5T is fitted with 5 high intensity LEDs to provide ample light for walking and reading when camping. What is good is that it last for about 20+ hours with 2 CR123 batteries. I did use it a few times to light my product photos.

Remember, this is a thread started regarding torchlights and has got nothing to do with photography.

Surefire M2 - S$280.00
Streamlight Scorpion - S$90.00
Inova X5T - S$80.00

Regards,
Andy Ho

not sure, should be xenon i guess... the light for my 8AAs should be nearer to light white if i remember correctly :dunno:

for the 4AAA double barrel, more of yellow light

caseytan said:

1 AAA maglite (Gold)

Hi Casey,

I am interested to see the Double Barrel 8 X AA Energizer. Would you mind show it to some of my friends too? If you can, bring the whole lot out. Hee hee hee... We can meet sometime and I can show you what I have plus what some of my friends have. We frequently stay overnight in Ubin just to play with the torch and the beams are like light sabre in your hands!

Andy Ho

hi andy, is the surefire available locally? sngarms? does it come with a barrel or front foresight post mount?

thanks!

-jon

Hi pcwe68,

Do you own flashlights? If you do, care to show me and my friends? If you are keen, you can join me and my friends to Pulau Ubin too.

What do you think?

Andy Ho

sure sure, no problem :D but ubin is too far ;p ;p

or bring our flashlights to the next SEED and blind the others :devil:

jon33 said:
hi andy, is the surefire available locally? sngarms? does it come with a barrel or front foresight post mount?

thanks!

-jon
Hi Jon,

Surefire torches are available from

Sheares Marketing
43 Beach Road,
Evershine & Century Complex.
1st floor.

They do carry other products also. I don't like Sngarms as the customer service there sucks big time. My friend purchased a Surefire Z3 combat lighht from Sngarms at S$290 and Sheares is only retailing for S$190.

Andy Ho

Andy Ho said:
Hi Jon,

Surefire torches are available from

Sheares Trading
43 Beach Road,
Evershine & Century Complex.
1st floor.

They do carry other products also. I don't like Sngarms as the customer service there sucks big time. My friend purchased a Surefire Z3 combat lighht from Sngarms at S$290 and Sheares is only retailing for S$190.

Andy Ho

very true about the sngarms part. was afraid i would have to go through them to get the surefire.

sheares: the same company that's selling blackhawk products here in singapore right?

thanks!
-jon

Hi Jon,

In regards to your last post, I am sorry but if it is weapon mounting you are referring to, sad to say they are controlled items by the authority. Just like we are not allowed to buy double edge knives unless we belong to a commando unit or something of the likes.

Andy Ho

jon33 said:
sheares: the same company that's selling blackhawk products here in singapore right?

thanks!
-jon
YUP!! You got it!

Andy Ho

Andy Ho said:
Hi pcwe68,

Do you own flashlights? If you do, care to show me and my friends? If you are keen, you can join me and my friends to Pulau Ubin too.

What do you think?

Andy Ho

Nowdays don't play anymore, I used to play it because I was a RP in during my army days in Paya Lebar Airport, we carry our own torch (so can blind people-"intruders") - not those army angle torch. And because we do 24 hour shift, so was on duty during the 12mn-4pm hours and nothing to do and since its airbase its quite dark and flat, so we can play with torch. like you say like light sabre. and since we are RP, we can shine at anything we want - controll tower etc of course when there are no more flights.

Nowadays , happen to be interested again more for photography lah (which is not the purpose of this thread)

hi, yeap! you're right.. sheares carries blackhawk and surefire! their customer service ROCKS! hee.. ;)

ok, torchlights owned by me and my bf:

surefire M3
arc lsh-p
arc 'aaa' x2
and a couple of maglites here and there.. :D

s_wrx said:
hi, yeap! you're right.. sheares carries blackhawk and surefire! their customer service ROCKS! hee.. ;)

ok, torchlights owned by me and my bf:

surefire M3
arc lsh-p
arc 'aaa' x2
and a couple of maglites here and there.. :D

Oh yes! I found another Surefire kah kee. I am still waiting for my M3 to be delivered to me. I paid S$100 deposit but was later told that they are back ordered. :angry:

How do you like the Arc LSH-P? I was wondering how it compares in terms of power to my Inova X5T.

Andy Ho

I am organising a small gathering for the siow torch people in Singapore to meet. Meeting place is Kim's fried hokkien mee at Liang Seah Street. It is a restaurant looking place. Ambience is not bad. Time and date is Tues, 18th Nov, time 8pm. If you are interested, please list down your name.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

If you want to join me and my friends to overnite in Ubin this Sat, please list down here...

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Andy Ho

lol COOL....
in case u do not noe there's hehehe

www.candlepowerforums.com

veri cool... quite alot of Singaporeans there, most of them buy from the US like www.meridiantactical.com , with usps shiping onli a few bucks 6-7 us$ ....

s-wrx ; where did u get the arc aaa's from? thier pretty cool rite? haf one 2

andy ho: u should check out the arc ls, search for arc flashlight :0,
also the surefire e2e, really small with 60 lumens, or the L4,L1 or A2 but more expensive but uses leds...
the inova x5t is really nice bombproof almost, where did u get urs? btw its more like 12-15 lumens... n if u need cr123s .. drop me a pm... i haf some on the cheap :)

hammer_400 said:
lol COOL....
in case u do not noe there's hehehe

www.candlepowerforums.com

veri cool... quite alot of Singaporeans there, most of them buy from the US like www.meridiantactical.com , with usps shiping onli a few bucks 6-7 us$ ....

s-wrx ; where did u get the arc aaa's from? thier pretty cool rite? haf one 2

andy ho: u should check out the arc ls, search for arc flashlight :0,
also the surefire e2e, really small with 60 lumens, or the L4,L1 or A2 but more expensive but uses leds...
the inova x5t is really nice bombproof almost, where did u get urs? btw its more like 12-15 lumens... n if u need cr123s .. drop me a pm... i haf some on the cheap :)
Hi hammer_400,

Thank you very much. I know about CPF (candlepowerforums.com) and my nick is pjandyho in CPF.
I am looking at the Surefire L4 Lumamax next. My friend just got his L4 and it is real cool man. 65 lumens of white light from a 5 watt LED bulb head. Just not enough throw compared to an incandecent. L4 is really a good EDC (Every Day Carry for those not familiar with the terms in CPF) torch.

I got my X5T from Sheares in Singapore. It is black body and it's really neat.

Andy Ho

Status
Not open for further replies.