Torch batteries leaked - can clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaywalk

Aug 11, 2005
Just took out a 1-year-old torchlight and found the D batteries have leaked. Is it safe to clean up the torch and re-use, or must I throw it away? Does anyone know what the clear liquid that comes out is?

I put them in after the last blackout that hit Singapore. So what can we do to prepare for a blackout anyway? :confused:

Wouldn't it be nice if torchlights had a "battery disengage" mode at the push of a button, so that the batteries become in contact with a non-conductor when it is not in that mode. (I presume batteries don't leak that way?) Then when there's a blackout, I don't have to load batteries in the dark. I just need to push a button to reconnect the contacts, and then switch on ;p .

The liquid u see is acid.

Highly corrosive stuff.
U can clean it up and give it a go again, but my advice is to just get a new torch.

Inside a cell battery (AA, AAA, D size etc) is liquid, it is this liquid that hold the energy of the battery (power), it is also this liquid that leaks out after a few months. If u dont like the battery leakage, u can try to change to new set of battery every 6 months or so.

for emergencies, keep a new set of batteries with the torch. not inside the torch. leaked batteries are to be disposed of properly.

for emergency purpose, best is to get a flashlight/torchlight that uses Lithium CR123s. These batts has a 10 year shelf life and does not leak.

In some HDB shops, they sell a new (old?) touch light, no battery required, there is a hand winder that the user wind up and then the touch is ON.

what D cells you use? mine are in my torch for >3 years only leak a tiny bit wetting the packaging only.

Anyway if the contacts have not been corroded by the acid. you can go ahead and just use diluted soap and clean it.. then wipe it dry.

if it's corroded.. well.. it's your choice. there's no harm in using it still

reachme2003 said:
for emergencies, keep a new set of batteries with the torch. not inside the torch. leaked batteries are to be disposed of properly.

In Singapore, how do we dispose of batteries "properly", leaked or unleaked? Some other countries collect battery trash separately.

I just threw them away with the rest of the trash ;p .

i am no environmentalist. just handle the leaked batteries with care eg. using a plastic bag to avoid direct contact. contact may cause skin irritations.

kaywalk said:
In Singapore, how do we dispose of batteries "properly", leaked or unleaked? Some other countries collect battery trash separately.

+evenstar said:
Surefire flashlights...:lovegrin: :lovegrin:

$$$$$$$ :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

kaywalk said:

Last time Ikea in Bukit merah used to have a used batteries collection counter. Dunno if they still have it now. Check out with them.

yanyewkay said:
what D cells you use? mine are in my torch for >3 years only leak a tiny bit wetting the packaging only.

Anyway if the contacts have not been corroded by the acid. you can go ahead and just use diluted soap and clean it.. then wipe it dry.

if it's corroded.. well.. it's your choice. there's no harm in using it still

Can't remember what D cells. The minute I felt the fluid on my fingers, I tossed the batteries into the bin. But I think the outside was black.

Actually, not interested in messing around with mysterious chemical fluids. Will throw away the torch. Anyway, my hand is too thick to reach the D-sized compartment and clean the inside. :bsmilie:

A few years ago, a fluorescent lamp on the toilet ceiling leaked a clear viscous fluid onto the floor. I didn't know at first, thought it was some cleansing liquid that nobody washed off. I touched it, and even after washing my hand, it still itched! :eek: If anyone knows what THAT is, I'd like to hear it!

Belle&Sebastain said:
evil evil:nono:

Actually, from what I read in comics, this is how people get superhuman powers - exposure to radiation or weird chemicals. :bsmilie:

adamadam can have the superhero name Energizer.

if got major blackout again batt in useable condition, torch spoil oso got no light. jus use AF assist beam as backup (lasts longer den pop-up flash at dunno how many milli-sec!)!!:bsmilie:

Astin said:
In some HDB shops, they sell a new (old?) touch light, no battery required, there is a hand winder that the user wind up and then the touch is ON.

if it isn't too much effort 2 keep d bulb powered hrs i'm all 4 such torchlights, but if i need light 4 several hrs its a diff story...:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.