Top few things to get after a DSLR

DDIONN

Jun 23, 2010
Hey there peeps! Hmm I wanna know what are the few top and important things/stuff/accessories to get after getting a DSLR body. I know some, maybe you guys could help me with what I have missed out.

-Lens pen/cleaning kit
-Dry box/cabinet
-Filters?

A tripod will be good.
A good and comfortable bag to keep your expensive equipments from knocks when walking around.
:)

A tripod will be good.
A good and comfortable bag to keep your expensive equipments from knocks when walking around.
:)

a good bag is a must, tripod i'm still not sure which type to buy..

Hey there peeps! Hmm I wanna know what are the few top and important things/stuff/accessories to get after getting a DSLR body. I know some, maybe you guys could help me with what I have missed out.

-Lens pen/cleaning kit
-Dry box/cabinet
-Filters?

Shooting:
first off, if you want to get a great landscape shot, get a tripod. ;)
for portraits, if you've got a decent kit lens, get a flash first before chasing all those fast glass.
to protect your lens, attach a UV filter and keep it there unless necessary to remove (night shooting)

Cleaning/Storage
yup, a lens pen is a must in your bag. a drybox is good enough as a starter. and get a good dslr bag for your walkabouts. :thumbsup:

important thing is know your camera and go shoot shoot shoot :cheergal:

errr....extra battery? lcd protecter? I think those comes first to me before tripod :bsmilie:

a good bag is a must, tripod i'm still not sure which type to buy..

If anything, maybe a cleaning kit first.

Tripod, flash- no need to rush into it so fast, until you realise you do need one. It depends on how your shooting style develops, personally, I have used flash and tripod less than 10 times in five years. So take people's suggestion on such accessories with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

-Lens pen/cleaning kit
-Dry box/cabinet
-Filters?

let me be frank with u, if the c'ser were to list out all the accessories, it will be a very long list..

Skip the dry box/cabinet unless you already have a collection of lenses and a few body, I'm telling you this is because when I started photography my DSLR & few lenses is always with me (cam bag) where ever i go (i even bring it to work). So having dry cab now is a waste.

Lens pen is a MUST.

Filters...... well personally i only uses the UV (act as a protection) n Polarizer (which most of the not in use).. Others might have different thought.

Hope this helps

errr....extra battery? lcd protecter? I think those comes first to me before tripod :bsmilie:

Err extra battery i dont think i need cause i'll be getting battery grip...

-Lens pen/cleaning kit
-Dry box/cabinet
-Filters?
How are you going to take photos without any lens? I'd recommend all the above plus

-lenses to cover from 10mm to 400mm (or 600mm) focal length, macro, super tele, probably abt 15 lenses in all,
-At least 3 types of camera bags for that few different occassions,
-A couple solid flash and accessories,
-A grip for that fashion look unless you bought the top of the line body like D3s or Mk1,
-a few Tripods from Gorillapod to mini to Standard to Monopod, etc,
-100gb of memory cards,
-ND, GND, Stars, etc filters
-another DX or FX body, depending on which body you already bought,
-and then some...

Since you ask you shall get:devil:

Err extra battery i dont think i need cause i'll be getting battery grip...

Hmmm.. you are aware that the battery grip doesn't come with batteries?

Hmmm.. you are aware that the battery grip doesn't come with batteries?

I don't think he's aware.

Battery grip, means u need to get another battery.... Battery grips don't come with batteries..

Though i think 3rd party ones might have package that comes with batteries with the grip, not too sure on that.

And... For me, priority is to protect ur camera/lens first.

Therefore, LCD protector/Camera Bag/Dry Cabinet(Long Term Investment - 5 Years Warranty)/UV Filter/Cleaning Kit

No point getting tripod, flash etc when ur camera itself is damaged even before u start shooting, right? Heart already pain, how to shoot properly :sweatsm:

Last edited:
Worse/Best place to ask :O

In my own opinion?

1st Priority is Protect, be it UV filters, hood (if that's ur style) or cleaning kits/ dry-cabs.

2nd Priority is Enablement. This includes:
1)Tripod
2)Flash

Both are must get...but the order is up to you depending on which you do more. To me tripod was first, as low-light shooting (dusk/dawn/twilight/night) is futile effort without a proper tripod.

3rd Priority is Enhancement. A good polarizer and an ND filter will fit into this category. Subsequently it's all the BBB virus. I suggest...70-200mm.

canon_ef_70_200mm_f4_l_is_usm.jpg

No, seriously, just kidding. Get what you need that you cannot shoot with what you have. Else shoot what you can till you can buy what you need.

-Lens pen/cleaning kit
-Dry box/cabinet
-Filters?

Hmmm.... to me, the most impt thing to get after a DSLR is TIME!
- Time to read and learn
- Time to understand how my DSLR works
- Time to think about what to shoot
- Time to go shoot
- Time to edit photos after shooting
- Time to evaluate each shot
- Time to buy some more experienced photog's coffee and pick their brains
- Time to discover what kind of genre of photography I like

Well... u get the picture :D

As for gears... u'll find out along the way what you lack... then u go and buy, buy, buy...

after getting a dslr, the first thing you should get is get a job xD
to fund for this hobby HAHA!

alright joke aside,

after my dslr, i got more lenses, got myself a big dry cabinet, a tripod, a strobist light stand, reflector, more flashes, cleaning kit, bagssss, wireless trigger.

Hmmm.... to me, the most impt thing to get after a DSLR is TIME![...]
:thumbsup: Another item to be included in the list: time to browse and read the forum. Many many people ask the same question again and again .. chances are good that you will find answers to your beginner question quite easily. Finally it's faster than posting a question and waiting for replies.

Get knowledge to learn how to operate your camera, and how to take good pictures, and the basics of photography.

Cheers!

Get time to shoot, shoot more.
Reflect on your shooting...

Of course get basic stuff to protect your equipment ....
Have fun learning ! ;)