Top 5 Digital cameras?

Subbu

Jan 23, 2019
Singapore
www.esourceit.com
Can you guys advise on top 5 Digital cameras (sorted by affordable price)?

I need to buy one for my friend for her b'day next month.

What type of digital camera are you thinking about? Point and Shoot? Action Camera? Bridge Type with large zooms? Mirrorless? DSLR?
Instead of buying something that might not work for your friend I would recommend giving voucher for the amount you are willing to spend.

Reactions: Subbu
The digital camera market has a wide variety of choices at different price points. You need to let us your requirements, then we can analyze and help you narrow down your choices. Even then everyone will have their own preferences, and you have to decide which fits your or your friend's needs the best.

Just as an illustration, a random list of 5 digital cameras with more expensive on the top:
1. Leica M10
2. Sony A7R III
3. Fujifilm X-T3
4. Olympus EM10 III
4. Panasonic TZ220

Oops no more space for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and many other brands...
And for the cameras with interchangeable lenses, remember to budget for the lenses

Budget is far more important... Most cameras these days are very good. Its a matter of preference for ecosystem (lenses, menus, software, mounts)

What type of digital camera are you thinking about? Point and Shoot? Action Camera? Bridge Type with large zooms? Mirrorless? DSLR?
Instead of buying something that might not work for your friend I would recommend giving voucher for the amount you are willing to spend.

voucher - a good choice. Yet he prefers wild life shots. So now will that help you filter your options?

The digital camera market has a wide variety of choices at different price points. You need to let us your requirements, then we can analyze and help you narrow down your choices. Even then everyone will have their own preferences, and you have to decide which fits your or your friend's needs the best.

Just as an illustration, a random list of 5 digital cameras with more expensive on the top:
1. Leica M10
2. Sony A7R III
3. Fujifilm X-T3
4. Olympus EM10 III
4. Panasonic TZ220

Oops no more space for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and many other brands...
And for the cameras with interchangeable lenses, remember to budget for the lenses

Thanks

voucher - a good choice. Yet he prefers wild life shots. So now will that help you filter your options?

Wildlife shots as in those pictures taken at South Africa kind? Or bird shooting?

Wildlife shots normally require zoom lenses, which is often costly. Whats your budget?

I see a general trend towards smaller sensors (APS-C or m43) to get more reach. But that does not narrow down much.. a lot of brands and cameras are still possible and price tags can go up really high.
A voucher for renting a system might be cheaper and your friend can try for a few days what works best.

You are a generous friend but the cost of even a brand new basic setup for wildlife is significant.I wonder how serious your receipient of this gift is.The longest reach can be had by M43 format sensor which is 2 times so a 300mm focal length becomes 600mm..good enough for birding but aperture wise usable only on very bright days for budget lens.
Finally how knowledgeable and skillful is your friend about handling telephoto gear? There is a learning curve.Wishing is one thinking,doing is another matter. Think carefully in your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: fongwk8
You are a generous friend but the cost of even a brand new basic setup for wildlife is significant.I wonder how serious your receipient of this gift is.The longest reach can be had by M43 format sensor which is 2 times so a 300mm focal length becomes 600mm..good enough for birding but aperture wise usable only on very bright days for budget lens.
Finally how knowledgeable and skillful is your friend about handling telephoto gear? There is a learning curve.Wishing is one thinking,doing is another matter. Think carefully in your decision.

Agree... Another thing is the "brand preference". Everyone has their own favourite brand.

Agree... Another thing is the "brand preference". Everyone has their own favourite brand.

Yes..the brand is important as far as bang for the dollar and I'm leaning towards the one with 5 axis IBIS ( in-body image stabilisation) in terms of cost n practicality although people might argue whether in lens solution is superior but what matters most is whether the user has a good experience and not get turn off photography because of the "unexpected" results that may arise from unsatisfactory performance of the gear..saying it's not the gear but the person behind the camera is no consolation either.
Again I stress that wishing to do it is totally different from actually shooting..finding suitable places or habitats , right time and at the mercy of weather..of course going to the zoo, bird park or sungei buloh is a no brainer but actually finding the bird or animal is a lot teadious than what is shown on nature programs on tv. :) In fact most of bird photography is "staged"!

I see a general trend towards smaller sensors (APS-C or m43) to get more reach. But that does not narrow down much.. a lot of brands and cameras are still possible and price tags can go up really high.
A voucher for renting a system might be cheaper and your friend can try for a few days what works best.

Thanks!!

Wildlife shots as in those pictures taken at South Africa kind? Or bird shooting?

Wildlife shots normally require zoom lenses, which is often costly. Whats your budget?

He prefers wild animals and live shots. Thanks for the advise!!