...took 1 week ++ for Sigma lens repair....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee...

Just received my lens back from repair. Hmmm....quite impressed by the 1 week ++ turn around time and full maintenance. They changed the front lens assembly and the internal rack gear train. FYI - lens still under waranty. Receipt is important so a blank warranty card without any official receipt will be deemed void.

Happy photo taking....

regards,
me

lucky you, my sigma flash took 3 weeks to repair! And it was just a replacement of the flash bulb assembly. Plus I had to call several times to rush them somemore.

My Sigma lens's AF is dead. Where did you send for the repair? Can anyone post the contact number and location of the service centre?

Hi All.....

FOr the sake of all photographers...

Here is the Turn around time estimates for servoice...(worst case condition)

- Lens Chip Upgrade - ETAT(Estimated Turn arount time) 3wks ++ - Sulhan
- Internal rack gear replacement - ETAT 1wk ++ - Sulhan
- Flash Bulb replacement - ETAT 3wks - Tweek

FYI:
Sigma repair center address is located here:
Sigma Optical
Alexandra Distripark Blk 3, #03--18/21
Pasir Panjang Road (S 118483)
Tel:6 273 9622

regards,
me

Originally posted by sulhan
Hiee...
They changed the front lens assembly and the internal rack gear train. FYI - lens still under waranty. Receipt is important so a blank warranty card without any official receipt will be deemed void.

IMHO what was replaced could be viewed as a good example of fast service, or a classic example of poor build quality .. as having to replace that much of a lens inside the waranty period really does make one wonder about build quality.

Originally posted by Ian

IMHO what was replaced could be viewed as a good example of fast service, or a classic example of poor build quality .. as having to replace that much of a lens inside the waranty period really does make one wonder about build quality.

So these lenses are still suffering SIGnificant MAlfunctions? Over all these years? ;p :devil: :rbounce:

Regards
CK

Hieee there,

I really feel sorry that you guys feel that way about the Sigma lens. If you think SIGMA lens sucks - Its your opinion an i really respect them.

I think the main reason that this looks like "SIGMA" is the "BAD" guy here as i am trying to list out and provide some idea for amatuers and pros out there who may be in dire straits when thinking of how long it would take to get stuff repaired.

I can just say that you guys are lucky to have PERFECT equipment which does not fail.....hmmm or should i say NEVER fail.

In Any product, there will always be some "bad" parts and that may fail who knows when. These happens to fall in the hands of those who are not born lucky as you guys.

So are you going to look down on photographers that have failed equipments and just laugh at them....???????

Have a great week ahead......

Regards,
me

Tweek: how did you know the flash needed changing of the flash assembly? I mean compared to a lens, its diff to tell when it's malfunctioning internally isn't it?

Sulhan: Glad you got your lens back so fast! All the better to take more pics with! Say whatever happ to your moon-telescope shooting? Still doing that?

I think like Sulhan said, there will always be bad apples amongst the good. That's why there's quality engineering, to moniter and get as close to 6 sigma (no pun intended!) manufacturing standard which is perfection, but there will always be defects. I think its great that Sulhan got his lens back in a week, I think that's REALLY fast given it takes me 4 days to get my B/W pics developed. to repair so much and so fast says alot about their customer care.

Hiee...

I think, the reason for the "fast" repair would be the available of stock for the spares. For those parts that need delivery from other country, it may require more time.

Being in the industry and understanding the recent tighter customs import/export requirements parts may be subjected to additional delays which aren't avoidable.

regards,
me

Originally posted by hoppinghippo
Tweek: how did you know the flash needed changing of the flash assembly? I mean compared to a lens, its diff to tell when it's malfunctioning internally isn't it?

I was told so by them when they called me to inform me of the quote. But I must say that the customer service is quite good, the receptionist was very patient with my many calls, and she did understand my urgency of needing the flash unit soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.