Too sharp? or not sharp enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurry80

Jul 23, 2007
Toa Payoh
www.flickr.com
For portraits. Would you delibrately focus less accurately with intention to hide certain facial artifacts like small freckles and pimples. this is assuming we have not gone to the photoshop workflow yet.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
Hi

What do you mean by focusing less accurately ?

I would try to take at wider apertures to have less dof and make the features slightly less sharp.

Ryan

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
For portraits. Would you delibrately focus less accurately with intention to hide certain facial artifacts like small freckles and pimples. this is assuming we have not gone to the photoshop workflow yet.
...soft focus? has been done in the old days, can still be done today

best not to have the focus too off though.. one still has to see the eyes relatively sharply.. else the portrait would not work most of the time :(

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
no, it is better to get in focus images, you can use soft focus filter and many other method to soften the look, if you don't want to photoshop it, do a Google search "soft focus" will find what you want.

soft focus ≠ out of focus

Zeckson Chow

Mar 1, 2005
Currently in Singapore
My recommendation is to better get the portrait in focus, as sharp as possible from the camera. In my experience, I have not come across too sharp an image produced by the camera and lens but I have seen lots of out-of-focus images though.

Just remember, if you do get an image too sharp (in your preference), you can always use a photo editing tool to soften it. But if your image is already blurred, there is nothing in this world that can correct it except taking the shot again.

Post processing is almost inevitable nowadays. Even the best out-of-the-camera image can still benefit from a little post processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom