Too many cars, too few carpark lots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun_Of_The_Beach

Sep 25, 2005
Yew Tee
I was driving down to Orchard area last weekend, trying to get some shopping list done. However, seems that whichever carpark I go, there is always a long queue.

Of course, I must agree that driving a car brings a lot of convenience, and owning a car seems to be A LOT of Singaporean's dream. (I highlight "a lot", and not "All"):)

My thought is that, will we ever reach the stage where its like the traffic jam in other countries, like Bangkok, or Indonesia? Been to these places, and can practically jam on the same spot for almost one hour!!

Especially in CTE peak hours, getting more and more alike to traffic in Bangkok. No wonder the government called it CTE... (Continuous Traffic Expressway, or Constantly "Ta Chia" Expressway)

just plan your route and avoid crowded places.
since you have a car you can go anywhere to shop.

Like IMM or some other ulu place with lots of parking space.

ortega said:

I beg to differ... even ulu places like IMM quite hard to find parking during peak periods :(

IMM everyday peak hours one! The only off peak is when the shops are closed.....:) So go there do what?

orchard ah..pay more lor...park at the hotels. such as 4seasons. sure no Q entry nor exit... $4/hr... u wan cheapest? then u exchange time for it.no such thing as cheap and yet still save time! or...sacrifice sleep.wake earlier reach orchard at 10am etc.

or there's cheapstake tactics...if u'r driver.u shld know where.....

ortega said:

wad's so ulu abt IMM? it's so crowded most of the time when I went there!!

U wan ulu, try sungei buloh or tuas south... ;p

hazekang said:
my econs textbook says gota increase the price of the carparks to maximise revenue... ;)

did yr econs textbook says anything abt building large shopping centres with small carparks.. so that yr carpark will be always full and u can charge a lot of money for pple who wants to park? lolx... :bsmilie:

if have, they muz have all learn from the same textbooks... ;p

Seems to b the trend of all the shopping and office buildings here in s'pore.. except for IMM and a couple of places. (I excluded IMM as they do have lotsa carparks but do not charge for parking, Suntec is the next closest, quite a lot of lots.. but den can be still full during peak hrs...)

Ashleyy said:
wad's so ulu abt IMM? it's so crowded most of the time when I went there!!

U wan ulu, try sungei buloh or tuas south... ;p

Got any shopping centres there? ;)

Ashleyy said:
did yr econs textbook says anything abt building large shopping centres with small carparks.. so that yr carpark will be always full and u can charge a lot of money for pple who wants to park? lolx... :bsmilie:

if have, they muz have all learn from the same textbooks... ;p

Seems to b the trend of all the shopping and office buildings here in s'pore.. except for IMM and a couple of places. (I excluded IMM as they do have lotsa carparks but do not charge for parking, Suntec is the next closest, quite a lot of lots.. but den can be still full during peak hrs...)

the same econs textbook also say, carparks is a deficit to the profits for the entire operation... so demolish carpark, built more shops... cut 1/2 of the the B1 for Supermarket... den fortify 1 corner for B2 for Car Cleaning & Maintenance... thats profit maximization... and also another marketing textbook say, to create supply, must fake demand... so when ppl see a queue, automatic will go join in the line (singapore proprietory concept...) :thumbsup: HELLLLLLOOOOOO KITTY! :lovegrin:

Some of you might remember that there used to one scheme called Park n Ride. There were a few fringe carpark for that purpose and it ended up a failure. Maybe, we can revive it now.

For example, to go to the dual expo of Autosalon and Sitex, I am sure the carpark will be jam pack and full - long queue to enter and then, drive round to find a lot - likely to waste an hour or so to park. So, I will be parking nearby and take the train.

smallaperture said:
Some of you might remember that there used to one scheme called Park n Ride. There were a few fringe carpark for that purpose and it ended up a failure. Maybe, we can revive it now.

For example, to go to the dual expo of Autosalon and Sitex, I am sure the carpark will be jam pack and full - long queue to enter and then, drive round to find a lot - likely to waste an hour or so to park. So, I will be parking nearby and take the train.

:thumbsup: also deter u from buying alot... ;)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
:thumbsup: also deter u from buying alot... ;)

they dunno how 2 do business, they nv read ur econs textbook. ;p

I still think Orchard Road carparks are too cheap, in Shenton Way office hour, the charge is about $3-4 for 30 minutes.

now i know wat book our garment reads.
:)

hazekang said:
my econs textbook says gota increase the price of the carparks to maximise revenue... ;)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
anyway, on economic sense, how come expo no multistorey carpark? :bsmilie: :think:

Expo has no economic sense & common sense, its d architect's fault. 1 2 show off. if rain oso hard 2 get 2 car... :(

should hav an underground carpark, dun hav 2 bake d cars in tropical weather.

sORe-EyEz said:
Expo has no economic sense & common sense, its d architect's fault. 1 2 show off. if rain oso hard 2 get 2 car... :(

should hav an underground carpark, dun hav 2 bake d cars in tropical weather.

so in a way, u think it makes no sense... hehe...

now i think, suntec exhibition hall also no sense if they have expo... no place to park, conjested, when emergency, i think all will die there... worse... pay CBD charges on weekdays to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.