Too lazy to zoom?

tehzeh

Aug 7, 2009
Thomas More's Vision
Has anyone here experienced this? I prefer to use a prime lens or I would just use my UWA zoom lens as a prime lens because I find it tiring to zoom in/out... I would prefer to just move closer or further using my legs.

Is zooming for lazy people? Not really. :bsmilie:

Has anyone here experienced this? I prefer to use a prime lens or I would just use my UWA zoom lens as a prime lens because I find it tiring to zoom in/out... I would prefer to just move closer or further using my legs.

:bsmilie: Actually I am pretty much the opposite, I prefer to zoom than to walk. Everyone has their own preference :)

haha i would rather find it more annoying when using a prime and not being able to zoom in/out because for a variety of reasons:

1. i cant walk on water
2. im only 5"10'
3. theres a pesky kid in the way
4. etc....

Sometimes zooming with its faster speed (compared to shifting yr legs) is advantageous, be it a sweet/handsome/ interesting person that walks by or changing lights or even clouds.
And sometimes .... Imagine you walking up to someone in 1 metre range to take the photo. will be hilarious.

I guess i similar to you. I am using mainly zoom lenses but somehow, i always find myself moving forwards or backwards instead of using the zoom. Hmm. Why's that?:think:

Depending what I am shooting. Prime lens has it's limitation

each serve it's own purpose, but u're to lazy to zoom and rather walk up, lol that's new, if u're saying u prefer prime than zoom i can understand :bsmilie:

tehzeh said:

Nope. Sometimes foot zoom is not feasible.

Ryan

Try zooming with your legs when shooting the lion/tiger at the Singapore Zoo.

That's interesting. I'm considering using primes more often cos I feel that zooms can contribute to me taking the easy way out (standing where I am and zooming in or out). With the need to move around more, I might end up seeing things that I miss when I just stand in one place and zoom in or out.

Last edited:
If insufficient reach from lens zoom then I will use my "foot dependent teleconvertor" => :thumbsup: No loss of light, just a few drops of sweat :sweat:. :bsmilie:

if it is a 200mm with a 2x "foot dependent teleconverter", then can be really alot of sweat bro ..

Ryan

Hi TS, I'm another prime lens lover here, but not because I'm lazy to zoom :bsmilie:
I like prime for several reasons. The main one is because I like to move closer to the subject, check the interesting part of the subject and shoot from the angle I find odd but nice. Secondly prime lens gives me the extra edge of DOF control and sharpness at wide open which let me isolate the subject from the background nicely and sharply. It also allows me to shoot at some low light situations without using flash.
Third reason is the light weight of prime lens compared to the trinity zoom 24-70mm and 70-200mm. I can carry my gears and shoot for long hours without feeling tired.
Ya there are some disadvantages for prime like what mentioned above, but they haven't happened or created problem for me so far because my legs manage to do the "zoom" :bsmilie:

There are pros n cons of zooms/primes that has been discussed for eons but IQ is surely closing up. Thinking back, had canon's diffractive optics really (worked) and took off we might have much lighter pro lenses...