Too Desperate??

MotionFellas

May 12, 2011
Affordable Photographer Wanted for Wedding 14 Aug
Hi! I'm having my wedding dinner on Sunday, 14 Aug. Yes, hungry ghost festival It will be from 6:30pm to 10pm at Pan Pacific Hotel, Claymore Road. If you are interested, please message me ASAP with a link to your portfolio and your rates. I am on a budget so I welcome skilled amateurs and budding photographers. Also willing to consider more market-priced photographers if rates are not too exorbitant and the work is good. Thanks!

Wow!

Damn.

Pity the 'photographers'. $160....$200... guys come on.

at that price, minus transport charges, it's simply not worth taking up this job. and pardon me, it is this type of photographers that throws away photographer's grace and makes us looks cheap.

either they are hard up for money or chance to build port folio of their own.

i would rather shoot for my friends free then charge this kind of price to make myself looks cheap.

Charging this kind of price really is ridiculous.

This reflects a photographer's value and reputation. Maybe that is how much his skills and works worth. :flush:

where's the sauce? c'mon... this is too much. this is how much the person thinks of photography. although it's more accessible these days, there's a difference between photos for your memories and photos that you'll regret.

Come on guys... Everyone has to start somewhere. A 17 years old and just got a second hand camera would think $200 pocket money is good for 4 hours of work.

Of course, if the person is looking for "price", they will know what they are getting.

It's like, there are $2 toys and there are $200 toys.... Both have very different quality so it is up to the buyer to decide.

Of course as a professional, you wouldn't even consider that as it is way below the cost.

The thing in this world is, if you do what everyone is doing, then it is acceptable, but if you do outside "acceptable" you are deem unacceptable, either you are too cheap or you are too expensive.

Open your mind and stop criticizing and spend more times thinking how you could help to educate both up and coming Photographers and the market.

I don't find a price spoiling the market. What spoils the market and give the biggest dent to the market is the unethical Photographers who is out doing their monkey business. As that in terms tainted the whole community.

Just my 2cents.

Regards,

Hart

Agetan said:
Come on guys... Everyone has to start somewhere. A 17 years old and just got a second hand camera would think $200 pocket money is good for 4 hours of work.

Of course, if the person is looking for "price", they will know what they are getting.

It's like, there are $2 toys and there are $200 toys.... Both have very different quality so it is up to the buyer to decide.

Of course as a professional, you wouldn't even consider that as it is way below the cost.

The thing in this world is, if you do what everyone is doing, then it is acceptable, but if you do outside "acceptable" you are deem unacceptable, either you are too cheap or you are too expensive.

Open your mind and stop criticizing and spend more times thinking how you could help to educate both up and coming Photographers and the market.

I don't find a price spoiling the market. What spoils the market and give the biggest dent to the market is the unethical Photographers who is out doing their monkey business. As that in terms tainted the whole community.

Just my 2cents.

Regards,

Hart

Hi hart, what would monkey business means for you?

Agetan said:

Just my 2cents.

Regards,

Hart

What you say the things very true. Where got people born immediately is pro. Have to start from new and if new how dare charge so expensive one? Must take a few years experience then got face ask for more money mah. Pro of course angry price low but pro also must think when they new they got dare charge so expensive or not?

If you are new, pls do not risk the wedding couples' once-in-a-life-time event for the purpose of building up your own portfolios, even if you are offering free services.

To build up portfolios, there are many ways to do it, like shooting as 2nd photographer or working for a professional photographer as assistant, you might get paid as well.

However, shooting for fun and shooting for main income or as a career are totally different things. You may attend some sharing sessions organized by the professional photographers to get know more about the business side of wedding photography.

Hi hart, what would monkey business means for you?

Meaning those who say promise one thing but deliver another.

Generally the over promise under deliver type.

That in turn create the anger from clients and then give the rest a bad name.

I am not pointing at anyone, just overall observation and my personal experiences, not necessary the photography area.

Regards,

Hart

Meaning those who say promise one thing but deliver another.

Generally the over promise under deliver type.

That in turn create the anger from clients and then give the rest a bad name.

I am not pointing at anyone, just overall observation and my personal experiences, not necessary the photography area.

Regards,

Hart

It's true, in general anyone who overcommits for the sake of taking up assignments are usually suiciders. But would there also be cases of customers who has set an over-expectation for individual even though it could be brought forward to their knowledge during the qualification stage?

Not rebutting your opinions, but I felt these two sides would always co-exists.

It's true, in general anyone who overcommits for the sake of taking up assignments are usually suiciders. But would there also be cases of customers who has set an over-expectation for individual even though it could be brought forward to their knowledge during the qualification stage?

Not rebutting your opinions, but I felt these two sides would always co-exists.

Unfortunately, it bound to happen.

However, things will be easier and complain will be very rare if everything has been communicate through to the clients in the first place. That is why, I insist on putting everything on email and not to take last minute job unless things can be communicated properly. It's slow things down and might lost the job, but it is amazingly effective.

I have 1 complain for 3.5 years for things outside my control. Don't rush to get jobs.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Hart

Unfortunately, it bound to happen.

However, things will be easier and complain will be very rare if everything has been communicate through to the clients in the first place. That is why, I insist on putting everything on email and not to take last minute job unless things can be communicated properly. It's slow things down and might lost the job, but it is amazingly effective.

I have 1 complain for 3.5 years for things outside my control. Don't rush to get jobs.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Hart

yup, I totally agree to this, time translate to quality.

use "ghost month" so can get cheap photographer? oh ...

but doesnt apply to christian / caucasian / hindu client right?
since chinese and muslims clients are out for this month :D

Are you all threaten? Are you all jealous?
If others want to live their lives their way, what is it to you?
You all so free, no jobs?

I ask because I am curious. Not that I am taking any sides.

use "ghost month" so can get cheap photographer? oh ...

but doesnt apply to christian / caucasian / hindu client right?
since chinese and muslims clients are out for this month :D

I spoke to a lot of wedding photographers before and they all comment that this month is a slow month since most chinese couples will not want to hold their wedding in this 7th "month". So I can only guess the person who put out the advert was thinking slow month, so can low ball.

Are you all threaten? Are you all jealous?
If others want to live their lives their way, what is it to you?
You all so free, no jobs?

I ask because I am curious. Not that I am taking any sides.

Threatened? How does a guy with a three inch long knife threaten the guys with three feet long sword?

Jealous? Who would be jealous of low pricings?

:)

If you are new, pls do not risk the wedding couples' once-in-a-life-time event for the purpose of building up your own portfolios, even if you are offering free services.
It takes 2 hands to clap. The onus is on the couple to find a cheap photographer who they feel will be able to deliver/meet their expectations.

As the saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. So if the outcome didn't turn out well, don't blame the photog. Blame the couple.

:Later,

The video bros complaining about the same thing.

why are videographers charging so low?

We can hug together and cry or we can try to make lives better.

I still look forward to a better tomorrow.

Last edited:
The photography market is not a nice fluffy cotton candy world where everyone hopes it is.

There will always be room for budget photographer, as is the case for high-end pros who serve a different market.

If some of you feel that you have the skills, portfolio, go ahead and charge the "pro rates" that you envision. Thats the perfect way to determine your standards and ability. If you don't get the job-flow, I suggest re-thinking the thought process which fuels this thread.