Too afraid to go for outings

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
Got myself N d5000 few months back and now been playing it all alone and just random trial and error few shots and play around.

Majority of the Cs-ers advice beginners like me should go for outing to learn more from them .
But the main thing I'm scared , I tend to be the silent one and such . As in shy.
Hmm any advice guys ?

Yes. Speak up. Smile. Talk. Most of us don't bite. Much.

Most of us don't bite. Much.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

i think firstly, u must ask urself, do u need the outings? if ur just gonna go out, shoot xmm for personal private collection, i'll say its a bit pointless. but if ur out to interact and learn from each other, so far the ones i met are friendly and willing to teach.

some are even willing to wake up early morning and shoot sun rise with u:)

just try. if u dun like the outings, u can just give them a miss next time:)

Most of us are friendly and approachable , no problems with joining the outings.

Here are the last few outings in 2010, at least join one before the year ends !!

24th Dec, Christmas Eve:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813930

25th Dec, Christmas:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815383

31st Dec, New Year Eve:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818219

Looking to see you in the outings soon !! :)

What's there to be afraid and shy about?

What's there to be afraid and shy about?

because i'm less type of outgoing person . i don't interact that well with person i just met for first time because im kind of shy . LOL !

because i'm less type of outgoing person . i don't interact that well with person i just met for first time because im kind of shy . LOL !

You would need to overcome your shyness !

I wonder how he bathe in the army.....

Majority of the Cs-ers advice beginners like me should go for outing to learn more from them .
But the main thing I'm scared , I tend to be the silent one and such . As in shy.
Hmm any advice guys ?

you don't need to go for any outings to learn anything in photography. period.

if you don't like outings, then they will do nothing much for you and you might end up feeling very very irritated by the fact that you have to cope with dealing with people during these outings. after seeing quite a number of these outing groups develop into something much more monstrous, i can't really blame you for being apprehensive, if there's where you're coming from. you have teachers, seniors, and the whole hierarchy. perhaps you are worried that you will be condemned to become a peon or a grunt for the rest of your photographic life.

what are you in photography for?

to take photos? then go take them.

Got myself N d5000 few months back and now been playing it all alone and just random trial and error few shots and play around.

Hmm any advice guys ?

if u want to join outing then do it what's with i'm to afraid kinda attitude, no one gonna kill u even if ur pic turns out bad :bsmilie: infact they might teach u a better way to do things further more u wanna learn right, how do u learn if u're even to afraid to approach the people who teach :nono:

find & join the outings that suits ur shooting style, meet others that share the same passion with u, i think it'll be fun and i doubt they'll left u out alone there, most of CS member are nice here (though i might never even meet anyone of them face to face :bsmilie:)

Last edited:
post ur pix more often then if u still want to learn faster..
easier to develop a thick skin behind a computer terminal..

or get a long zoom lens, and spy on those outings.. :think:

Hmm any advice guys ?

I wanted to join the outings at first. But end up didn't. I dont like to bother people by asking them too many questions cos they need to shoot too.

My bf accompany me now. I bring photo guide books along, he carries for me hehe. Take my time to adjust the settings and try. I feel I learn more this way.

maybe 1 day i will join the outings when im more confident.

scared what ? can't take critiques and criticisms ?

I wanted to join the outings at first. But end up didn't. I dont like to bother people by asking them too many questions cos they need to shoot too.

My bf accompany me now. I bring photo guide books along, he carries for me hehe. Take my time to adjust the settings and try. I feel I learn more this way.

maybe 1 day i will join the outings when im more confident.

most of us don't mind sharing our "knowledge" & experience, i for one feels content if i can enlight someone from doing the "wrong" way even though in the end they might disagree with me but i respect that cos it's their own decision

good for u if u do ur own home work by urself but there's nothing wrong with hanging out in a group, u get more information and inputs, not to mention u might be able to borrow & try out others lens or flash or accesory or etc2 :D

Last edited:
outings isnt the only way to learn photography. there r lots of online guides n tips in photography. even library has lots of books on them. if u got the money, u can even buy books on photography from book stores. even this forum has lots of information on photography.

u can also post pictures u take in the critique corner. let the seniors tell u wad's right n wrong with ur photo, n then guide u from there.

No shame in not joining outings if you don't want to. I wanted to join some outings in the past but after seeing the size i decided not to. Big crowds are not my thing. Just go have shoots with one or two friends who know their stuff, you will learn a lot too.

To those people who are putting the TS down, just a reminder that everyone is different and being shy or reserved is not a crime, so stop judging him based on your own terms, you are just making yourself look bad.

you don't need to go for any outings to learn anything in photography. period.

if you don't like outings, then they will do nothing much for you and you might end up feeling very very irritated by the fact that you have to cope with dealing with people during these outings. after seeing quite a number of these outing groups develop into something much more monstrous, i can't really blame you for being apprehensive, if there's where you're coming from. you have teachers, seniors, and the whole hierarchy. perhaps you are worried that you will be condemned to become a peon or a grunt for the rest of your photographic life.

what are you in photography for?

to take photos? then go take them.

Strangely but utterly agreeable. Good point to note. :sweat:

Go for it! Make more friends. I would love to join a lot of those outings, but my schedule in army always clashes, for example the last few outings mentioned above. (yea holiday chiong like a saigang warrior) :thumbsd:

Hmm any advice guys ?

Just because people advocate outings doesn't necessary mean it is for you. Different people thrive under different conditions. Start off with what you are comfortable with.

There is nothing wrong with shooting and learning on your own. If you need information, there are always books and the internet. Just as there are many groups of people who like outings, there is a substantial number of people who pursue photography on their own and never join any outings.

Last edited:

Hmm any advice guys ?
as many have already stated, joining outings is not the only way to learn photography. With many people attending, usually attention is divided. The main task at hand (trying to capture nice photographs) can sometimes become secondary.

But if you're a shy person, maybe treat this as a way to overcome your shyness? ;)
After all, you've got something in common with everyone, so that's sort of an ice-breaker...