Tonsil Removal Surgery (tonsillectomy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Teoh

Staff member
Oct 16, 2004
Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
I'm having my surgery next week at Changi General hospital to remove my tonsil which has been causing a lot of sickness and sleeping problem. Just want to find out if anyone has done this before? How is the recovery process because I read that it is going to be very painful:sweat:?

Cheers

I'm having my surgery next week at Changi General hospital to remove my tonsil which has been causing a lot of sickness and sleeping problem. Just want to find out if anyone has done this before? How is the recovery process because I read that it is going to be very painful:sweat:?

Cheers

bro did it... i think the painkillers will take care of most of the pain... rem to gurgle the antiseptic mouth wash they provide you with... should be ok in a week. Just imagine a giant
ulcer in your mouth... shouldn't be that bad i guess...

Cheers

dun worry bro...

let me know ur ward and bed and i visit u...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bro did it... i think the painkillers will take care of most of the pain... rem to gurgle the antiseptic mouth wash they provide you with... should be ok in a week. Just imagine a giant
ulcer in your mouth... shouldn't be that bad i guess...

Ok thanks for the advise.

Cheers

I had mine more than 10 yrs back in TTSH, spent total 3 days in Hosp

Day 1- fast fast fast stay overnight in ward
Day 2- go into Op Theater, knocked out by drugs, slept a dreamless sleep and woke up with massive sorethroat.

Day 3 - Morning, hospital fed me fried hor fun with chilli, hungry no choice so i ate haha...Afternoon, discharged from hosp, MC for 2 weeks at home and ate porridge everyday. Every swallow is an agony, drank everything with a straw.

The wound is an open wound and will heal by it self in one months time but in the mean time, you'll have the pleasure of spitting blood and blowing blood from your nose everyday.
However, your life is definitely changed for the better w/o those tonsils which inflame every now and then....all the best:bsmilie:

Actually, I was asked to go for this operation long time ago, but after reading more about it, the tonsils are there to take the first viral hit... so that it does not get further down the track. removing the tonsils doesn't mean you will not have these problems may even be worse.

But I have to say I am no doctor, so please take my comments with a barrel of salt..

Take care John and have well deserving rest after the operation, should be a quick and fast routine surgery.

../azul123

I had mine more than 10 yrs back in TTSH, spent total 3 days in Hosp

Day 1- fast fast fast stay overnight in ward
Day 2- go into Op Theater, knocked out by drugs, slept a dreamless sleep and woke up with massive sorethroat.

Day 3 - Morning, hospital fed me fried hor fun with chilli, hungry no choice so i ate haha...Afternoon, discharged from hosp, MC for 2 weeks at home and ate porridge everyday. Every swallow is an agony, drank everything with a straw.

The wound is an open wound and will heal by it self in one months time but in the mean time, you'll have the pleasure of spitting blood and blowing blood from your nose everyday.
However, your life is definitely changed for the better w/o those tonsils which inflame every now and then....all the best:bsmilie:

Sound scary..... think I'm going to have sleepless night :sweat:

Actually, I was asked to go for this operation long time ago, but after reading more about it, the tonsils are there to take the first viral hit... so that it does not get further down the track. removing the tonsils doesn't mean you will not have these problems may even be worse.

But I have to say I am no doctor, so please take my comments with a barrel of salt..

Take care John and have well deserving rest after the operation, should be a quick and fast routine surgery.

../azul123

Thanks. Actually I also think quite long if I should proceed with the surgery but I don't don't want to be tied to CPAD(?) for life where you need to wear a mask when sleeping. During the sleep test in July, the result shows that I can stop breathing for as much as 53 times in an hour. The longest was 1 min 43 sec (Don't think I ever be able to hold my breath so long underwater :bsmilie: ).

So your tonsils are blocking your breathing? that is a different ball game altogether. My case is entirely different from yours then. Take care ok?

../azul123

Cheers

I had my 11 years back. Did it concurrently with a laser-surgery on my nose for sinus related problems. It took one month to recover from the raw wounds after the operation. Stayed in hospital for 2 days. The first week was painful. Loss of apetite. Lots of antibiotics and pain-killers. The long term effect of such surgery is beneficial. At least for me. No more tonsillitis anymore. Save $$! One acute tonsillitis can cost me about S$80 to S$100 in medical expenses.

An advise. Take vanilla ice-cream to 'smooth' your raw wounds.:)

Perhaps some of this info may be useful, taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillectomy

Tonsillectomy in adults is perhaps more painful than in children, though everyone's experience is different. Post-operative recovery may take 10-20 days, during which narcotic analgesics are typically prescribed. A diet of soft food (e.g. pudding, eggs, soft noodles, soup, etc.) is recommended to minimize pain and the risk of bleeding; the duration of diet restriction varies from patient to patient and may last from several days to two weeks or more. Proper hydration is also very important during this time, since dehydration can increase throat pain, leading to a vicious cycle of poor fluid intake. At some point, most commonly 7-11 days after the surgery (but occasionally as long as two weeks after), bleeding may occur when scabs begin sloughing off from the surgical sites. The overall risk of bleeding is approximately 1-2% higher in adults. [4] Approximately 10% of adult patients develop significant bleeding at this time. The bleeding may quickly stop naturally, or via mild intervention (e.g. gargling cold water). Otherwise, a surgeon must repair the bleeding immediately by cauterization, which presents all the risks associated with emergency surgery (most having to do with the administration of anesthesia on a patient whose stomach is not empty). There are several different procedures available to remove tonsils, each with different advantages and disadvantages. In children and teenagers it may be the case that there is a noticeable change in voice [5] after the operation.[6] [7]

Good luck with the surgery, and take care.

everyday eat icecream
:)

did mine abt 3 years ago at CGH. day surgery only.
went in early morning, had the op, recover in ward until afternoon, was home by early evening. went home to continue to sleep the GA off.

did hurt abit, like a really bad sore throat but having the pain for the next few days beats having super high fevers every 2 weeks cos of the infection that my sick tonsils created.

just have lots of ice cream in the freezer, helps alot.. the hospital also gave me ice cream as my first 'meal' after the op.

no worries mate, you'll be fine! ;)

everyday eat icecream
:)

COMPLETELY AGREE with this.

your best diet is and WILL BE:

Frozen ice creams and Frozen NATURAL yoghurt.

I removed mine when i was rather young but i vividly remember all the details. Mine was rather bad, it obstructed the passageway for food to go down properly. not only that i was easily proned to high fevers and stuff liddat.

i was like drinking a glass of milk for 1-2 hours..... worse, everytime kana caned because parents (long time ago) think i just refuse to drink...until they got fedup and sent me to see a doc....LOL

../azul123

If the tonsils aint no performing what they are suppose to do, it'll be better to remove them. I've suffered bouts of recurring fever whenever they are inflammed, with pus discharges and 39Deg (minimum) body temp for 1 week in a row, i'd gladly chop them off at the first opportunity...:bsmilie:

My close fren had his removed recently at CGH too. Well, sounds scary but the benefits of its removal outweighs the scary part I guess. Post surgery ... my fren seemed ok, the pain killer would have lessen the discompfort.

Yeah keep us posted and we shall keep u accompanied

Status
Not open for further replies.