Tomb Raiders: Angkor CNY 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaywalk

Aug 11, 2005
Hi,

We're planning a trip to Siem Reap this coming CNY (to set off on the night of the first day of CNY). IMO, we'll need to act fast to secure tickets, especially outgoing, because it is peak travelling season then. As such, I need the interested parties to commit to the dates below by 1500 hours, this coming Friday, 18th November 2005. Then we'll meet to swiftly book our train tickets to KL and outgoing air tickets to Phnom Penh, if not also the return. Call me KS if you will (my initials anyway, heehee), but better safe than sorry.

Here are those who have contacted me, in alphabetical order, so I don't get into trouble ;p .

1. exhibitj (not confirmed)
2. icarus (confirmed)
3. kaywalk (confirmed)
4. Nisa (confirmed)
5. numzkull (confirmed)
6. skinnylatte (confirmed)

There are 6 on the list. Anybody else who is interested, please let me know soon. We will be capping the headcount at 8 people. Please PM me your real names, e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers. Let me know if you'll be able to meet on Friday night, 18th November to book the tickets via the Internet together. If not, Monday or Tuesday night the following week. Meeting details coming later.

:cool: A new idea that was floated by icarus was to do a second week in Vietnam! I'd like to know the interest level for this. Sorry, no budgetary figure or logistical sketch for this yet.

1. Siem Reap/Angkor
Set-off date: late night of 29th January 2006, Sunday (first day of CNY). We'll take the night train to KL and sleep in it. The next day we fly to Phnom Penh via AirAsia.

Return date: 5th February 2006, Sunday. This is a change from before. I have decided that we fly from Phnom Penh back to KL via AirAsia, spend one night in KL and then head back to Singapore by land transport (bus).

Budget: At a glance, according to skinnylatte, it is possible to do everything for under S$500. I still haven't done a rough verification yet, please forgive me! :embrass:

2. Vietnam
Brief: To move off from Phnom Penh to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh.

Return date: 11th (Saturday)/12th (Sunday) February. Somehow.

Sorry for the lack of detail. This is a new idea and the I/C(arus) ;) has yet to work it out. However, it is more crucial to iron out the outgoing first, and fast, because that is the CNY peak period. OK, Tomb Raiders who are interested please fill in your nick in the list.

1. exhibitj (not confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)
2. icarus (confirmed) (OK for Vietnam)
3. kaywalk (confirmed) (OK for Vietnam)
4. Nisa (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)
5. numzkull (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)
6. skinnylatte (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)

Edit: I would like to thank skinnylatte and icarus for their assistance so far. :)

I may be interested. Is S$500 for the whole trip (including accom & food), or just for the transport?

quekky said:
I may be interested. Is S$500 for the whole trip (including accom & food), or just for the transport?
Well, the word is that S$500 is enough for the whole trip. I haven't verified it at the item level, but at a glance, it looks like it's certainly doable if you stay in rooms with fans and no aircons (USD5 per night or thereabouts). USD15 per night can get you aircon.

OK, OK, I got it. I'm eating numbers for breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. ;)

PM me your e-mail address please. I think I'd like to send the numbers in an Excel file, you see.

1. exhibitj (not confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)
2. icarus (confirmed) (OK for Vietnam)
4. Nisa (confirmed) (NOK for Vietnam)

I'm at the office now, I'm going home. :faint:

kaywalk said:
I'm at the office now, I'm going home. :faint:

Gawd are we in the same timezone here? :bigeyes:

Hi friends,

I have worked out the first cut of the budget. Please check your e-mail.

Looks like at the baseline, we'll still bust the $500 mark some. I'll await your comments and flames. :)

it's quite okay from a glance.
Don't worry about a thing. u are doing a great job :)

Nisa said:
it's quite okay from a glance.
Don't worry about a thing. u are doing a great job :)
Thanks, what you said makes it all worth it. :sweatsm: :)

Hi Kaywalk,

Excellent planning so far...I like your excel spreadsheet!
I still cant confirm the dates yet, you know how it is like i army that they likie last minute changes! Trying to squeeze the training prg out frm my OC. Will let u know the dates asap, by friday!

As for the Viet trip, I wont be able to make it. Take too much leave already loh..:(

Yip!!! ANother interesting trip!
Must join!

Keen on Vietnam only, so i suppose i'm out. Keep the details posted here, maybe can arrange to meet you folks in Vietnam if i happen to be there and our schedules meet.

Hihi!
I'm quite interested in both trips. Can somebody PM me the details???
The $500 budget is only for the 1st trip rite? Wat will be the cost like for both places?? It's a backpacking trip or wat?? By the way... r there any females in the grp so far??

Hi,

Sorry I posted and then deleted the original post as I reworked the numbers.

First, the bad news, I am afraid that for the itinerary and dates we have chosen, a realistic budget is S$800. This is for Cambodia alone. Apologies to those who liked the S$500 budget, but it is not attainable for this trip. Keep in mind that every figure in USD is going to be blown up 1.7 times.

Other things to note:
1) The numbers for Vietnam have not been worked out yet. Please stay tuned.
2) There are ladies and gentlemen in this group.

Can the people already on the list confirm that you are OK with the itinerary and the budget?

Anybody who is still interested, please PM me your e-mail address and real name. If there are more interested parties than places, I know you will understand if we will take the first few who PM me their confirmation. :)

1. exhibitj (not confirmed) (NOK for Vietnam)
2. icarus (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)
7. Damien (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)

Btw, I have not put down the nicks of those who only said they are interested, but haven't confirmed that they are OK with the dates and the plan.

Oh yes, those who have sent me their e-mail addresses should be receiving the budget in Excel.

I cannot make it for the vietnam trip... :(
:rolleyes:

1. exhibitj (not confirmed) (NOK for Vietnam)
2. icarus (confirmed) (NOK for Vietnam)
7. Damien (confirmed) (OK/NOK for Vietnam)

Btw, I have not put down the nicks of those who only said they are interested, but haven't confirmed that they are OK with the dates and the plan.

Oh yes, those who have sent me their e-mail addresses should be receiving the budget in Excel.
Today 10:35 AM

Hi, am a newbie. Can I join? I'm a female. Convenient to travel with you guys? Can I have the details for the trip? Just saw this thread.. Thanks

munch said:
Hi, am a newbie. Can I join? I'm a female. Convenient to travel with you guys? Can I have the details for the trip? Just saw this thread.. Thanks
PM me your e-mail address and name. Newbie, pro, male, female all can.

To update, skinnylatte and exhibitj won't be able to make it.

In view of the current and anticipated response to the Vietnam idea, I have decided to leave it out of this trip. There'll be a chance for Vietnam, icarus. :)

And I have sent out version 3 of the budget to you guys by e-mail. Do take a look. Basically, our options range from $700 to $900.

Hey, we all need to get together and vote on the thing, so please let me know your availability to meet this Friday night. If not, Monday or Tuesday.

1. icarus (confirmed)
2. kaywalk (confirmed)
3. Nisa (confirmed)
4. numzkull (confirmed)
5. Damien (confirmed)

didn't get budget for version 3 leh.... :cry:

kaywalk said:
To update, skinnylatte and exhibitj won't be able to make it.

In view of the current and anticipated response to the Vietnam idea, I have decided to leave it out of this trip. There'll be a chance for Vietnam, icarus. :)

And I have sent out version 3 of the budget to you guys by e-mail. Do take a look. Basically, our options range from $700 to $900.

Hey, we all need to get together and vote on the thing, so please let me know your availability to meet this Friday night. If not, Monday or Tuesday.

1. icarus (confirmed)
2. kaywalk (confirmed)
3. Nisa (confirmed)
4. numzkull (confirmed)
5. Damien (confirmed)

am interested if this is purely a photo trip. coverage only siem reap / angkor? if i decide to join based on the plans, can i make my only flight arrangements and join you guys in siem reap?

Status
Not open for further replies.