Tomato

Status
Not open for further replies.

espion

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2005

the reflection works against for me.
The tomato was sharp and crystal......chic and sleek.
but somehow the reflection came out as shallow, sloppy, clumsy and weak.
instead of complimenting the object, it distracted.

... but somehow the reflection came out as shallow, sloppy, clumsy and weak.
Care to explain how it is "shallow, sloppy, clumsy and weak"? :confused:

Care to explain how it is "shallow, sloppy, clumsy and weak"? :confused:

well, in comparison with the strong distinctive lines of the object, the blurry lines of the reflection made the reflection look sloppy, and translated a sense of clumsiness in the overall look and feel.

The object looks so full and dimensional, but the reflection did not reflect the 3D feel of the tomato, and made the reflection look shallow.

And why is the reflection weak?
it speaks for itself when contrast against the strong object.

well, in comparison with the strong distinctive lines of the object, the blurry lines of the reflection made the reflection look sloppy ...
But that's exactly the intended effect: sharp vs blurr, strong vs subtle, etc its all about contrasts ... in any case I think this is a more exciting effect than an exact reflected replica as in a mirror - the reflection is more like a shadow, suggesting but not exactly the subject itself, and definitely not as crystal clear too.

I still dont see how the adjectives of "clumsy", "sloppy", "shallow" and "weak" apply. In fact I dont understand what you mean by these terms at all.

I think in English, clumsy suggests that the image is somewhat unbalanced, as in a clumsy person tripping over himself.

I would agree that there is some hint of unbalance, at least at first glance, but this hint is to create a tension in the otherwise still picture.

Sloppy suggests carelessness, as in a the much contented phrase here, a snap shot. That I would say you have no evidence to say, but on contrary the picture suggested total deliberateness.

And if by "shallow" you mean simple, then I agree completely. But you seems to suggest shallow means "flat" or 2D as the reflection is in contrast to the 3D object. I see that as only accentuating the contrast between object and reflection.

And finally if by "weak" you mean subtle, then again I accept that completely. The reflection is meant to be "weak".

But that's exactly the intended effect: sharp vs blurr, strong vs subtle, etc its all about contrasts ... in any case I think this is a more exciting effect than an exact reflected replica as in a mirror - the reflection is more like a shadow, suggesting but not exactly the subject itself, and definitely not as crystal clear too.

I still dont see how the adjectives of "clumsy", "sloppy", "shallow" and "weak" apply. In fact I dont understand what you mean by these terms at all.

I think in English, clumsy suggest that the image is somewhat unbalanced, as in a clumsy person tripping over himself.

I would agree that there is some hint of unbalance, at least at first glance, but this hint is to create a tension in the otherwise still picture.

Sloppy suggests carelessness, as in a the much contented phrase here, a snap shot. That I would say you have no evidence to say, but on contrary the picture suggested total deliberateness.

And if by "shallow" you mean simple, then I agree completely. But you seems to suggest shallow means "flat" or 2D as the reflection is in contrast to the 3D object. I see that as only accentuating the contrast between object and reflection.

And finally if by "weak" you mean subtle, then again I accept that completely. The reflection is meant to be "weak".

i kind of agree. if the reflection was too strong, all the more will it distract the viewer from the object. overall i think it's quite a good picture.

well, no need to get so up tight lah.
take it easy.
my views are mine to keep.
perhaps i belong to that small sample population to whom that picture just does not click.

maybe there might be a bigger pool of people out there who appreciate that pic.
just like no president in the world wins with a 100% majority.

And one cant say the minority are not so savvy in their views,
its just that they view things differently.

my views are mine to keep.
But when you speak your views it is no longer private, and then people who "hear" you - which on the Internet is all the whole world - must understand what you mean ... or else people may get wrong ideas ... :confused:

But when you speak your views it is no longer private, and then people who "hear" you - which on the Internet is all the whole world - must understand what you mean ... or else people may get wrong ideas ... :confused:

its true that speaking up means its no longer private.
when i mentioned "my views are mine to keep",
it does not equate to not being able to share the views.
it just simply equates to an articulation of views, but
minus the intention to influence opinions over to my point of view.
;)

Take it easy, yah! :)

... but minus the intention to influence opinions over to my point of view.
That's not the question here.

We are simply trying to understand what you see. Maybe you see something we don't.

And that is the most valuable thing about critique, and also distinguishes a good from a bad critic.

That's not the question here.

We are simply trying to understand what you see. Maybe you see something we don't.

And that is the most valuable thing about critique, and also distinguishes a good from a bad critic.

Now, thats a profound one.

In your opinion
what makes a good critic?
what makes a bad critic?

deja vu! .....:confused: :sticktong

ok.. im totally newbie on giving comments.. but the first time i saw the pic, the reflection also dont work for me... its kind "overexposed a bit" ... its kinda strong against the soothness of the tomato.... but honestly i really love the way you captured it..worth printing on a3 and give to someone special...

one more thing about your dispute here... i think critiques should avoid those adjectives to describe once photo that will offend the person... imagine how a newbie will feel using those words to criticize his/her photos... :nono:

i think critiques should avoid those adjectives ...
I think as long as a critique is honest and accurate then the words - any words - are good.

If is when what is said is not what is meant, then any words - even "good" words - are bad. For example to tell someone performing poorly that he is doing well does more harm than good, and also vice versa.

And as I've said earlier, a critique reveals more the critic than the thing critiqued.

And as I've said earlier, a critique reveals more the critic than the thing critiqued.

alamak, not very nice leh.:angel:

somehow, maybe I get a feeling that perhaps some folks cant
take it in good stride.

cos earlier, i try to not impose my view
and make peace by saying, " my views are mine to keep " :angel:

then suddenly, the context turns to
"But when you speak your views it is no longer private, and then people who "hear" you - which on the Internet is all the whole world - must understand what you mean ... or else people may get wrong ideas ... "

and then now, the context turns to
"And as I've said earlier, a critique reveals more the critic than the thing critiqued."

while I gave my views on a picture,
somehow, a nagging tot suggest
that maybe it is possible that its an inneudo
others are giving views about me based on so little words
I typed.

I might be wrong though, pray i am wrong though. :think:

so does it mean, voicing support means a good critique?
if not, then does the opposite mean its a bad critique?
then under what circumstance can a unpopular, non pleasing critique be a good critique? :dunno:

Take it easy lah, bro.
good critique or not, the reflection just does not satisfy some people's taste buds.
Oh, I did suggest I like the tomato through the following phrase.
"The tomato was sharp and crystal......chic and sleek."
in case, you didnt manage to get it. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.