Tokina terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanjyj

Apr 8, 2007
Just wanted to ask since I like Tokina the best of the third party lenses I see often in shops (Tokina, tamron and sigma), but for the life of me cannot figure out some of their terminology..

Even if it's just for marketing purposes, I would still like to know :bsmilie:

What is the difference between ATX PRO, ATX PRO D and ATX PRO DX?!!!

N.B. I know ATX stands for Advanced Technologies-Extra

Jan 14, 2005
Just wanted to ask since I like Tokina the best of the third party lenses I see often in shops (Tokina, tamron and sigma), but for the life of me cannot figure out some of their terminology..

Even if it's just for marketing purposes, I would still like to know :bsmilie:

What is the difference between ATX PRO, ATX PRO D and ATX PRO DX?!!!

N.B. I know ATX stands for Advanced Technologies-Extra
DX is for cropped sensor. I suspect D is refering to lens with coating optimised for Digital systems.

BC

boredphuck

Deregistered
Aug 24, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
theres prosv as well for the cheaper variant of the pro lenses. fyi, the pro range are being discontinued. from now on only pro dx if i am not wrong.

Jul 19, 2007
theres prosv as well for the cheaper variant of the pro lenses. fyi, the pro range are being discontinued. from now on only pro dx if i am not wrong.
its now all at-x pro dx and at-x pro d. only 1 lens in the at-x pro d and thats the 100 micro. dx is quite straightfoward, it refers to the lens compatibility on dx format cams only. i believe d could mean that there is an aperture ring, like the nikon lenses. cos the at-x d also has an aperture ring (80-400)

of course manual focus lenses are totally different (sz-x, sl, etc.)

boredphuck

Deregistered
Aug 24, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
can try getting from taiwan if interested in tokina lenses. i was quoted 550 for the 28-80 f/2.8 lens. cheap. too bad i already got a standard zoom.

Jan 14, 2005
So I am right.

AT-X Pro DX - For APS-C or DX format only
AT-X Pro D - Updated AT-X PRO lens for Digital SLR
AT-X D - Updated AT-X lens for Digital SLR

BC

Jan 14, 2005
Not all lens are listed in there.

Anyone know the diff between AT-X and AT-X PRO?
PRO series seems to be better built compared the the AT-X. From page 3 of the brouchure:

"PRO models have a hardened Alumite (Armalite) finish to increase durability and give a top-quality feel and finish."

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom