Tokina SZ-X Series Manual Focus zoom lenses for Nikon DSLR. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurrealDreamWalker

Jul 11, 2009
The Outer Limits
Hi all, i still have 2 of my 'obsolete' Tokina lenses which are used with my Nikon FM2.
The 2 of my Tokina SZ-X Series Manual Focus zoom lenses (Ai-s) are:

SZ-X 270 SD (MF 28-70mm f3.5-4.5)

SZ-X 210 SD (MF 70-210mm f/4-5.6)

Thinking of converting them to fit to my Nikon D1 and Nikon D70, so as to give new life to the lenses and use them.

Is it possible, and may i know who to ask for the conversion services?

But then, before i am going to fish out some more of my money, may i have your opinions/advices as to the lenses' rating with DSLR?

Thanks, and best of regards.

Mmmm... maybe i answered my question already... If the 2 Tokina lenses i have are AI-S, then they could be used on my D1 and D70... Am i right?

"AI-S — The successor to AI, AI-S added two mechanical features required for the automatic or semi-automatic exposure modes of the Nikon FA, F301/N2000, F501/N2020, and F4 cameras. First, AI-S lens apertures move linearly in relation to their stop-down levers, and this feature is indicated by a special notch in the lens mount. Second, AI-S lenses with a focal length of 135mm or longer are indicated by a special ridge on the lens mount (used by FA, F501, and F4 only). The development of CPU-enabled AI-P and AF lenses meant that no later cameras would require these features, although the linear aperture control of AI-S remains advantageous over the non-standardized control of AI and pre-AI lenses. The term AI-S is now commonly used to refer to manual focus lenses, although all Nikon autofocus lenses with aperture rings also meet the AI-S specification." extracted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount

So i will try them out ... Mmmm...

erm if i remembered correctly, those lenses can mounted on present nikon DSLR.
Metering on D90 and below not possible, have to use manual mode.

however they should be able to meter on D100 and above.

Thanks big-boss oretga, and forumer pairdes for your advices.

Downloaded the D1 and D70 manual in PDF from Nikon's website, and read the pages 109-111 on D1, and pages 183-184 on D70.

Will use manual mode on both my D1 and D70 when using my 'obsolete' AI-S Tokina lenses.

Thanks with regards.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.