Tokina ATX pro 80-200mm 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nub-bie

Oct 11, 2006
Serangoon
Hey does anione else own the tokina version of 80-200? seems to me i found a wierd problem with this lens. It might be some fault of the AF or somthing. At wide open 2.8, It is known to give soft pictues and that im sure of. The softness however seems to be comming from overexposure from certain parts of the pictures, creating the glowy effect captured by this lens.

In broad daylight at 2.8, my d50 goes all the way to shutter speed 4000 and HI, came out blurry by overexposure. So i did an experiment, i took an old 72 mm polarizing filter and placed it in front of my lens. The grey filter acted something like a light reducer and i found that my pics at 2.8 were much sharper than be4, moreover, without shifting the camera, the AF readjusted itself when i put the lens on though still focusing on the same object.

I was wondering if i could get better results from an ND filter maybe a .3 or a .6 one might do the trick? anione have any thoughts?

I'm not exactly sure about this lens since I've not used it yet but for that F2.8 settings that made your shutter speed go to 4000 of a second, I presume you are using aperture priority. Perhap you could try using fully manual and tweak the settings yourself to get the picture quality you want.

P.S. - I'm using a D50 myself too :cool:

What was your ISO setting when you took this glowing pic?

now why would you want to shoot at f2.8 if you know that it gives you soft images?

stop down lor, i suggest f5.6 or f8

Any special reason that you want to keep the aperture at f/2.8? Stopping down by 1/3 to 1 stop might do the trick.

i wanna try using this lens for portrature shots instead of the usual nature my iso was at 200 and manual mode doesnt help cause my max shutter speed is 1/4000. The pics at f5 is sharp but then again who would buy a 2.8 lens if it wasnt to use its 2.8 advantage? i might as well have gone for a 70 300 sigma. What i was thinking of was to find a solution to the soft images

hmm... interesting... I've tried a Tokina 28-70mm too with this kinda glowy effect too on my D70 at f2.8... has it got something to do with the Tokina lens construction? I'll see if I have pics to post when I get home tonight.

i wanna try using this lens for portrature shots instead of the usual nature my iso was at 200 and manual mode doesnt help cause my max shutter speed is 1/4000. The pics at f5 is sharp but then again who would buy a 2.8 lens if it wasnt to use its 2.8 advantage? i might as well have gone for a 70 300 sigma. What i was thinking of was to find a solution to the soft images

normally the sweet spot of a lens is 1 or 2 stops down

When I first bought my f2.8 lenses, i too shot at f2.8
but experience has tought me otherwise

now only if got no choice then go f2.8

eg. my nikkor 105 f2.8 macro is used mainly from f8 and up
almost no one shoots macro at f2.8,
so why did the engineers at nikon designed this lens with f2.8?

think about it

it worked!!! i got a hoya ND4 and used it on my 2.8 aperature, worked like a charm, it removed the glowy effects and sharpened my pics only thing is that you'll have to compensate it with shutter .... whoohooo finally a usable 2.8 200

my ATX 828 has fogging problems and fungus growth in its elements. beyond repair is the advice fr expert. i will show u the pics taken by my "dying lens" after i return tonite from the SFW shoot at Raffles City.

my ATX 828 has fogging problems and fungus growth in its elements. beyond repair is the advice fr expert. i will show u the pics taken by my "dying lens" after i return tonite from the SFW shoot at Raffles City.

haha sure thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.