Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 vs AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

Status
Not open for further replies.

HELLOSTEVEN

Mar 1, 2008
Hi all,

Just purcharsed the Nikon D7K camera with kit lens. Now I'm need some feedback / opinions from the pros out here. :)

I'm thinking to get either Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 or AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED to replace my kit lens. Any advise on which of this lens perform better in term of sharpness and other. :embrass:

Btw, Why wide-angle no VR and any built in motor for Tokina 11-16mm??

Thanks.:)

Last edited:
so what will be your main lens? one of these uwas?

Both lenses listed are UWA. And you are using it for group photos?:think:

Both lenses listed are UWA. And you are using it for group photos?:think:

I need wide angle lens with f2.8 for shooting indoor (group photo at meeting room, hall and other area). At present the kit lens c/w 18mm f3.5 only...:cry:

Therefore, thinking to get either Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 or AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED to replace my kit lens.

:)

Last edited:
Y not consider 17-50 range for your purpose, they come in f2.8 too... There's Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Nikon...

Hmm.. group photo with f2.8?? :think:
Why do u need f2.8 for group shot? If its because of low light, I suggest a flash would work better..
At such large aperture, u will need everyone to stand in 1 straight row to get everyone's face in focus..

I would actually go for the sigma 10-20. Lighter, cheaper and wider. The tokina is heavy but well built, and i doubt ill be using 2.8 for landscape anyway. If you want a portrait lens, do note that UWA will have distortions at the ends, which may or may not be able to correct with CS3/4/5.

Y not consider 17-50 range for your purpose, they come in f2.8 too... There's Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Nikon...

I need more wide angle (11mm) lens with f2.8 for shooting indoor ..:D

Why do u need f2.8 for group shot? If its because of low light, I suggest a flash would work better..
At such large aperture, u will need everyone to stand in 1 straight row to get everyone's face in focus..

Yes, I do use flash. But sometime unable to use flash (eg. meeting) and the room are having low light then other place..:(

:D

I would actually go for the sigma 10-20. Lighter, cheaper and wider. The tokina is heavy but well built, and i doubt ill be using 2.8 for landscape anyway. If you want a portrait lens, do note that UWA will have distortions at the ends, which may or may not be able to correct with CS3/4/5.

Ok, noted. Anyway distortion at 11mm or 16mm ?

Care to share?

Ok, noted. Anyway distortion at 11mm or 16mm ?

Care to share?

there will always be distortion for most of the uwa lens at the wide end.
If you want to find out how is the distortion like, gotto flickr and search for tokina 11-16 and nikkor 10-24 groups for their photos. Once and all all you can see for yourself how is the distortion like. It is kinda hard for us to put into words and make you imagine the distortion between these 2.

actually at the wide end, dof isn't such an issue.

I need wide angle lens with f2.8 for shooting indoor (group photo at meeting room, hall and other area). At present the kit lens c/w 18mm f3.5 only...:cry:

Therefore, thinking to get either Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 or AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED to replace my kit lens.

Just for the record, smaller f numbers does not equal to better lens.

a larger aperture does allow more light in and with that it allow you to have a shutter speed fast enough for hand hold photos that are reasonably sharp. however comparing between f2.8 and f3.5 (both lenses at the widest) it is just 2/3 stop inbetween them. How much advantage do you think you will gain by having f2.8?

Hi all,

Just purcharsed the Nikon D7K camera with kit lens. Now I'm need some feedback / opinions from the pros out here. :)

Btw, Why wide-angle no VR and any built in motor for Tokina 11-16mm??

At 11mm, you can comfortably shoot at 1/20 s handheld with any of the two Tokinas. Now think when and how would a VR be useful given this situation.

The Tokina 11-16mm has no built-in motor. The D7000 can drive the focusing mechanism.

Last edited:
i don't recommend using either of the uwa lens for group photos . . . :nono:

have you tried using uwa for group photos yet ?

I believe you can push the ISO of D7k higher . . . :)

f/2.8 is good for low light but not for group shots. normally f/5.6 or bigger f/stop numbers would be nicer to keep your subjects in focus and leaving the background slight out of focus. You need light more than replacing the lens for indoor shots. How do you get light? Either from ambient light or controlled light from a flash. I would suggest matching the kit lens with a flash SB-600 / SB-700 / SB-900.

TS... sounds like you have really no idea what you need.

Better stick to your kit lens. You need a good flash more than anything. Get the SB600.

Status
Not open for further replies.