Tokina 12-24mm or Sigma 10-20mm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogieMAN

Feb 27, 2005
Bros of CS,
i m looking for a good wide angle lens... have the following in mind but couldn't decide which one to choose... can someone tell me which one is a better choice? many thks. :D

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX

none... define your "better" choice? :dunno:

tokina 12-24... looks like you are using nikon.. nikon has 1.5x crop.. 12mm end is sufficient :thumbsup:

why not tokina 10-17mm? :dunno:

Non-rectillinear lens. I would assume from the TS' queries that he's looking for a rectillinear lens (and probably doesn't want to go through too much PP to correct everything that's FE-ed :bsmilie: )

i need a wide angle lens... the tokina 10-17mm is a fisheye lens... too much distortion for my liking.

i use the tok 12-24. it's a good lens. good build + contrast. not as sharp as the sigma, but sharpness is not everything. the tokina gives more 'pop' than the sigma equivalent. :)

my gf recently borrowed my lens for a trip to paris and london. u can click here to see her pics. many of them were taken by the tok 12-24

i own the canon 10-22. but i've tried all 3 before. i'd say go for the sigma in terms of sharpness and image quality.

but if you are using a canon, i would strongly suggest that you save a bit more and get the 10-22. it's worth every single cent you spend on it.

The good thing about Canon is that our "DX" or EF-S wide angle is marginally more expensive than third party offerings. Take the Tokina 12-24. It's around $860 or so? The Canon EF-S 10-22 is $1080 now, so I'd save up.

The Nikkor DX Wide Angle is also a 12-24 f/4, but that costs around $1.6k

i own the canon 10-22. but i've tried all 3 before. i'd say go for the sigma in terms of sharpness and image quality.

but if you are using a canon, i would strongly suggest that you save a bit more and get the 10-22. it's worth every single cent you spend on it.

i m a nokin dslr user... thanks everyone for their great contribution to this thread... i hav gone thru each & everyones postings & found equal positive reviews of both the lens... my initial guts feel was to go for tokina 12-24 due to its quality built & many sellers saying that it pix quality is compariable to nikon 12-24... however going thru all the reviews (btw, i pretty skeptic abt ken rockwell's review on the wide angle lens), i now more keen on the sigma 10-20mm lens due to pix quality & sharpness... i hoping to get a copy from HK, cos the SG price is really too expensive for the sigma 10-20. ;)

i m a nokin dslr user... thanks everyone for their great contribution to this thread... i hav gone thru each & everyones postings & found equal positive reviews of both the lens... my initial guts feel was to go for tokina 12-24 due to its quality built & many sellers saying that it pix quality is compariable to nikon 12-24... however going thru all the reviews (btw, i pretty skeptic abt ken rockwell's review on the wide angle lens), i now more keen on the sigma 10-20mm lens due to pix quality & sharpness... i hoping to get a copy from HK, cos the SG price is really too expensive for the sigma 10-20. ;)

Nokin? Haha. Okay anyway, the thing I really dislike about Sigma is the fact that the QC and variations among different copies of the same lens are horrendous.

wah lao, use tokian lens on nokin dslr :bsmilie:

wah lao, use tokian lens on nokin dslr :bsmilie:

Ha nice one bro.

Somehow, alot of Nikon users use the Tokina because it's said to be almost on par with the Nikkor (lacking in something, compared to the Nikkor, but what it was slipped my mind), at around half the price.

Ha nice one bro.

Somehow, alot of Nikon users use the Tokina because it's said to be almost on par with the Nikkor (lacking in something, compared to the Nikkor, but what it was slipped my mind), at around half the price.

agree with caleb..
a fren of mine uses Tk12-24 with d80.. the lens is good for the money you pay.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.