Today's DL: Frame fatale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Just read today's(15 Aug) Digital Life article, "Frame fatale", about three women professional photographers (or "professional women photographers" as it was written in the article).

It seems that for these highly acclaimed professionals, their equipment of choice for work are the Canon digital bodies, whereas, for pleasure, two of them cited the Nikon workhorse FM2.

I find this rather interesting as it would be logical to assume that they would opt for the same brand of cameras for both work and leisure, since we know both brands have got products that fit all the requirements of work and play. Or do they?

What are your thoughts? :dunno:

Please. I am not trying to start a C vs N flame war thread. If you can't participate in an objective and factual discussion with an amicable attitude please do not post. :)

Um, maybe it's like an F1 racer who prefers to drive a 30 year old vintage car for leisure? Both are cars, but the experience is different?

i kinda miss the manual film rewind dial on my first camera too, but just too lazy to mess with film anymore.

Yup .. why not...

Though i'm just shooting as hobby, I'm using canon digital body... but sometimes when i just want to get back to basics... I use my dad's old school Minolta SRT-101 ... its a great and decent camera like the FM2. Sometimes its just nice use a camera that doesn't decide and tell you all the time and rather learn from mistakes.

Yes, I agree with both of you that you want to get back to basics when at leisure, just like I sometimes like to use my manual wind watch because the winding process is very therapeutic. I love the SRT-101 btw. ;)

The thing that intrigued me was, why Nikon FM2, when Canon has got very good manual mechanical wonders such as the legendary F1 and FT series.

Ansel said:
Yes, I agree with both of you that you want to get back to basics when at leisure, just like I sometimes like to use my manual wind watch because the winding process is very therapeutic. I love the SRT-101 btw. ;)

The thing that intrigued me was, why Nikon FM2, when Canon has got very good manual mechanical wonders such as the legendary F1 and FT series.

Maybe they don't have a equipment choice for their work since it is usually provided by the company. :think:

Ola said:
Maybe they don't have a equipment choice for their work since it is usually provided by the company. :think:

This is usually the case. I'm also guessing these women photographers are photojournalists who shoot for newspapers, magazines, or news agency. If they are, it makes sense if they use Nikon FM2 for their personal work. Long before the digital era started, very many photojournalists use Nikon. Old habits just die hard, I guess. :)

Ansel said:
It seems that for these highly acclaimed professionals, their equipment of choice for work are the Canon digital bodies, whereas, for pleasure, two of them cited the Nikon workhorse FM2.
If you read carefully, the 3 were saying that their workhorses are either from their own repsective companies or from Canon (as in Canon sponsoring the cam?). This is probably due to the strong arm tactics of the filthy rich Canon Corporation, as I was told that pro cams or lens are given or sponsored freely to the super-pro shooters anywhere in the world, without any questions or obligations asked....:bigeyes:
What surprised me was the pretty one with the Mark IIn and the ef24-70 .... this is the perfect combo set for photojournalist but for a lady (approx. 2.5kg+)? :sweat: :thumbsup:

Yes Canon does sponsor pro photographers to switch camp. A good Aussie professional photographer friend in Perth switched to Canon when he was covering the America's Cup years back. Never swiched back to Nikon ever since as he felt Canon had the edge for long telephotos. Then again, as a professional, any camera is fine as it all boils down to whether you've got a creative eye. I've seen his work using Nikon and Canon and I could not tell the difference. Actually I don't see why Canon's sponsorship methods are "strong arm". Nobody is forcing the photographer the photographer to use Canon and it is a marketing strategy common in lots of areas eg. watches, golf, etc. (pyramid of influence marketing).

In the case of the three pro women photographers, digital is the way to go as the workflow is faster. When I was in London 2 months ago, all the photographers covering Jennifer Aniston's movie premier immediately uploaded their pictures to their editors within 15 minutes of the event. I can understand why the three women photographers use mechanical manual SLRs for their personal work because it forces one to crank up the creative juices. I guess they chose the FM2s because it is easier to get hold of Nikon AI lenses.

They choose FM2 probably becoz it was a full mechanical body without batteries able to operate with ease. speed B mode; 1s - 1/4000s ..

I have a FM body with me and it used to be my backup when my main SLR failed .. ie no batteries .. :sweatsm:

Canonised said:
What surprised me was the pretty one with the Mark IIn and the ef24-70 .... this is the perfect combo set for photojournalist but for a lady (approx. 2.5kg+)? :sweat: :thumbsup:

eh...dun look down on these women. i saw a few at ndp. 1d series with various lenses.. one even had 2 lenses 17-40 and 70-200 f/2.8. and if add a flash... :)

Wow...many good points have been raised. The companies could have provided the Canon equipment for them to use, thus it is a no-brainer to just use the provided equipment. Or they could have been sponsored by Canon, that's a very good marketing strategy.

When at leisure, they use their own equipment, which can be quite different, and the FM2 with Nikkor lenses are very accessible, and affordable, not to mention excellent quality.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!

Canew said:
Are those women featured, CS members?
Most likely, and probably under a guy's nick ....:bsmilie:
Mi siow siow .... saw one in an event with 2 bodies and L lens! and she was so petite.:sweat:

All 3 use Canon digital bodies :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.