Today is the 63rd anniversary of D-Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
The invasion of Normandy by the Allies on 6 June, 1944 marked a turning point in the war against Nazi Germany in Europe.

'The Longest Day', a book by Cornelius Ryan, has been and is still one of my fave books based on WWII historical events, as well as the 1962 film of the same name.

The invasion of Normandy by the Allies on 6 June, 1944 marked a turning point in the war against Nazi Germany in Europe.

'The Longest Day', a book by Cornelius Ryan, has been and is still one of my fave books based on WWII historical events, as well as the 1962 film of the same name.

Yeah, my favourite too together with the other book also by Cornelius Ryan - A Bridge Too Far (Operation Market Garden). :thumbsup:

Remind me of the Band of Brothers during D-Day World War II.

bob_wp06s.jpg

Thanks for the grim reminder, lest we forgot.
2 days ago was the 65th Anniversary for Midway too.

wen do u think our D-Day will come? :think:

:devil:

VCD.JPG

:thumbsup:

wen do u think our D-Day will come? :think:

:devil:

Our local version -- the best we can come up with is the RPL haven't hit the shore, all the recruits cheong ah, book out time !

Nowadays, these kind of mass beach cheong by infantry is no more. Nowadays all the infantry/marines hide inside LVTP (or equivalent). Look at the cross-straits exercises to get some ideas.

cheong arr... ack ! ack ! ;)
Life's tough being a grunt and a 'bloody footsoldier'. :(

Compared to now where the fly boys and arty guys bomb the crap outta a place before the grunts go in to pick off pockets of resistance, I wonder how did ppl actually survived Beach Landing at Normandy.

Life's tough being a grunt and a 'bloody footsoldier'. :(

Compared to now where the fly boys and arty guys bomb the crap outta a place before the grunts go in to pick off pockets of resistance, I wonder how did ppl actually survived Beach Landing at Normandy.

paratroopers also, during the invasion, the germans flooded the grass plains, knowing these are good terrains for airborne landings, so as a result, many 82 and 101 guys got drowned in it.

My Favourite too!

Yeah, my favourite too together with the other book also by Cornelius Ryan - A Bridge Too Far (Operation Market Garden). :thumbsup:

Also my favourite too! His last book is "The Last Battle", which is the Battle of Berlin. Also like my favourite.

i hope never.

Then again, in this crazy world, you'll never know. :sweat:

w/ all d price increase at our doorstep i tot D-Day is really near... :sweat:

paratroopers also, during the invasion, the germans flooded the grass plains, knowing these are good terrains for airborne landings, so as a result, many 82 and 101 guys got drowned in it.
IIRC, Geneva Conventions now define paratroopers (those who are not shooting at u) as 'off-limit targets'. Attacking them are like attacking 'unarmed combatants' and u can be tried as a war criminal if u start shooting them.

A dumb rule IMO.

Wait for enemy reinforcements to hit the ground, swee-swee pack up their parachutes pick up weapon den u start shooting them as 'legal combatants'? Too late liaoz. :angry:

IIRC, Geneva Conventions now define paratroopers (those who are not shooting at u) as 'off-limit targets'. Attacking them are like attacking 'unarmed combatants' and u can be tried as a war criminal if u start shooting them.

A dumb rule IMO.

Wait for enemy reinforcements to hit the ground, swee-swee pack up their parachutes pick up weapon den u start shooting them as 'legal combatants'? Too late liaoz. :angry:

Geneva Convention is a show only... in war who really cares ?

Thats interesting, I didn't know of that fact before. :think: The fascinating part of the wikipedia link is that there were many fake "diversionary" military 'landings' to divert attention away from Normandy where the actual invasion was to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.