Today is a bad day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvard

Sep 7, 2008
My friend borrowed my D700+17-35+28-70 set for his 2nd honey-moon trip in Europe. But he lost it!
That is headache and painful! He is my good friend. I do not know how to claim from him.
The worse thing is, I will make my holiday trip in New Zealand on 20th, but I do not have a camera.
:bheart::bheart::bheart::bheart::bheart:

:eek::eek::eek: lost for words..you don't have to claim from him, he should automatic compensate!

oh man, that will be a disaster if this happening to me..
sad for u bro... :cry:

My friend borrowed my D700+17-35+28-70 set for his 2nd honey-moon trip in Europe. But he lost it!
That is headache and painful! He is my good friend. I do not know how to claim from him.
The worse thing is, I will make my holiday trip in New Zealand on 20th, but I do not have a camera.

how does one lose such a big setup? is it stolen? :eek:

feel so sorry for u...17-35 prices had shot up like crazy...even if he pays u back, its gonna be a 6-7k lesson, assuming everything buy brand new or near new condition (except for the 28-70)...

What an unfortunate event.
If he is your really good friend, then just take a deep breath and sit back... and wait one week first.
If as your good friend, I borrowed and subsequently lost your gears, I will certainly make good the lost to you, knowing that you will be leaving soon.
Trust and Responsibility matters much more than Money in a true Friendship.
You will still have up till the 13th Dec to find out how true this is.
If it failed, than just accept your fate & go ahead and buy a brand new D700s... hehe...

Oh dear, i so sorry for u.. Is it covered under travel insurance?
I will compensate u if i will him.. Responsibility man

Sorry to heard that.

I believe that you really treat him as a very good friend to entrust your equipment to him.
If you are his good friend, he will repay you back.

Waoh. That's sad man.. I will not even lend my friend my equipment if he is going overseas just in case the same thing that happen to you also happen on me. But cheer up, Im sure yr friend will compensate yr lost, for sure..

You are truly a good fren. Not everyone i know wld lend their beloved cameras and eqpt to their frens. If he is a good fren, he'd compensate u.

somewhere in some forum, there'll be a thread titled "today is a good day"

Next time don't lend your equipment unless it's family.

It'll be interesting to know if he compensates you, then will it be new equipment cost or 2nd hand cost :bsmilie:

Oh dear, i so sorry for u.. Is it covered under travel insurance?
I will compensate u if i will him.. Responsibility man

normally, there is a claim limit of camera equipment under any travel insurance. iirc, its only a couple of hundred for body and/or lens. the amount is not even enough to buy back the D700 body.

that's why my philosophy had always been: don't borrow or lend any equipment to anyone. if I can afford, I will buy it. if I cannot afford, I will do without. its to prevent situation like this from happening.

:)

Last edited:
lend only things that you can afford to lose.

borrow only things that you can afford to pay for if it goes missing.

especially if you treasure the friendship.

I feel your pain

He must have been a very close friend of yours for you to lend him such expensive stuff. For that reason alone, nothing can replace Friendship. If he treat you as a close friend too, he will in one way or another compensate you but at times such a big amount cant be raised in a short time. I believe he had informed you (assuming on how you came to know about it) so he should have said something about the replacement thing.

Worst case, loan a set for you trip 1st. (from those who offer this service).

Personally I would still treasure Friendship over equipment but heart will still feel the pain. Once my friend lost my bino (my only present given by my late Dad) and he cant replace it. But what to do, no amount of $ can replace it. If I'm the "friend who lost your gears, I would at least take up installment plan to replace yr set if I cant afford in is cash. However, the 1st thing yr friend should do is to tell you what his plans are. He might be waiting for that slim chance that the gears can be recovered.

Good luck and hope you will hear good news soon.

An expensive camera can't replace a good friend.
- Laozi

Not living up to responsibility will ruin anything!

Next time don't lend your equipment unless it's family.

It'll be interesting to know if he compensates you, then will it be new equipment cost or 2nd hand cost :bsmilie:

Never lend to family! NEVER!

Beat thing is for you to do is, let him know, where he can buy the same set up. And then tell him that you need the camera by the 20th. You actually have no headache!

normally, there is a claim limit of camera equipment under any travel insurance. iirc, its only a couple of hundred for body and/or lens. the amount is not even enough to buy back the D700 body.

that's why my philosophy had always been: don't borrow or lend any equipment to anyone. if I can afford, I will buy it. if I cannot afford, I will do without. its to prevent situation like this from happening.

:)

Agreed

Buy him a new set of camera and say 'sorry' to him.Of course you must bring hime along.

Status
Not open for further replies.