Today Computer Times - Leica Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasphotography

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
errr, not quite...

it is actually a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 camera with Leica Optics (DC Vario-Elmarit f2.8-4.6 Asph).

Key Features

1) $699
2) 2.11 MP
3) 12x optical zoom (equivalent to a 420mm lens in a 35mm film camera)
4) Optical image stabiliser
5) Macro mode (min. 5cm distance)
6) Auto-bracketing exposure shots
7) Shutter lag of 0.1 sec
8) 4 frames per second
9) There might be a movie mode if I remember correctly seeing this feature in the shop

Had a feel of the camera. Really robust in build and build like a tank, rival Xpan. Gosh, am falling head over heal for this beauty! :lovegrin:

What do you guys think har? Tell me all about the bad points of this camera and convince me that this camera is not or not good enough for me!

Thought a 3MP camera is a norm nowadays but then this one is a 2.11MP! For your info, I tend to print my pictures up to A4 size...

Any contribution welcomed, thanks in advance.

The FZ2 is already out in Japan, with aperture and shutter priority mode control, but otherwise, nothing else over the FZ1. 2.1MP is good enough for 4R size shots, but beyond that size (like your stated A4), I doubt the picture will stand up to closer scrutiny...

yinkhoon said:
The FZ2 is already out in Japan, with aperture and shutter priority mode control, but otherwise, nothing else over the FZ1. 2.1MP is good enough for 4R size shots, but beyond that size (like your stated A4), I doubt the picture will stand up to closer scrutiny...

You mean the FZ1 doesn't have AP and SP modes? I only briefly touched the camera, so didn't pay notice to too much details. Would have thought a camera of this "class" should have these class functions.

jasphotography said:
You mean the FZ1 doesn't have AP and SP modes? I only briefly touched the camera, so didn't pay notice to too much details. Would have thought a camera of this "class" should have these class functions.

Dun think FZ1 has AP and SP modes ... it has Simple, Normal, Picture, Macro, Portrait, Sports, Panning, Night Portrait, Moving Image modes

for more detail , please refer to this URL

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...toreId=11251&catalogId=11005&modelNo=DMC-FZ1K

megaweb said:
Dun think FZ1 has AP and SP modes ... it has Simple, Normal, Picture, Macro, Portrait, Sports, Panning, Night Portrait, Moving Image modes

for more detail , please refer to this URL

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...toreId=11251&catalogId=11005&modelNo=DMC-FZ1K

thanks Mega... if FZ1 doesn't even have full manual mode for both aperture & shutter speed controls, then it is as good as a PnS, which is not good enough for me.

I rest my case...

jas, the FZ-2 will have aperture/shutter priority modes, otherwise it is quite similar to the FZ-1. Watch out for the launch in Singapore soon.

still don't understand how they can decide to marry a 12× lens onto a 2Mpx body. macam a v12 engine in a suzuki. The Finepix 5000 has 10× zoom right? if you need big lens can consider that.

hwchoy said:
still don't understand how they can decide to marry a 12× lens onto a 2Mpx body. macam a v12 engine in a suzuki. The Finepix 5000 has 10× zoom right? if you need big lens can consider that.

Because if it was any more than 2MP you would soon see the limits of such a lens...

Fz2.......imagine....
a digicam with 12x optical zoom with constant f2.8....
and IS.......... *slurps*

And that scallop hood......... :sweat:

Tweek said:
jas, the FZ-2 will have aperture/shutter priority modes, otherwise it is quite similar to the FZ-1. Watch out for the launch in Singapore soon.

ok, thanks Tweek.

It seems to me that no one here own a FZ-1 or is going to own a FZ-2 in future. I do however find the leica lens (plus its hood) and the FZ-1 chunky body sexy!

The constant f2.8 thru' the whole zoom range does seems very attractive... plus the 12x optical zoom... plus the image stabilizer... :)

The finepix does have more 10x optical zoom but has anyone tried shooting at 10x max zoom, handheld? Especially the aperture would have closed down to around f5.6... :(

My 2 cents worth of thoughts...

Edwin

Edwin said:
The constant f2.8 thru' the whole zoom range does seems very attractive... plus the 12x optical zoom... plus the image stabilizer... :)

Edwin, I don't think the FZ-1 comes with constant aperture lens you know. If it does now or in future, I would be the first one to place an order.

Imagine 420mm at f2.8 !!! :eek:

one of my senior staff has one FZ1, i think. the most outstanding thing about it is the massive glass lens it has! :)

*yum yum*

Hi,

I own a 2.1Mega pixels digi camera and picture that are deveoped up to 5R still look great to me! Personally, i feel that 2MP is good enough for normal use. Do you often need to develop up to A4 size? FYI, in case you don't know, the price of developing a 4R and 5R is a huge jump. A 5R photo cost me $2 in my area area, 4R photo cost 50cents( i know there are other places that only charges 35cents). If you wish to develop up to A4 size everytime, i think it's really costly. Maybe a film camera is cheaper?

Just me personal thoughts:)

yinkhoon said:

sehsuan said:
one of my senior staff has one FZ1, i think. the most outstanding thing about it is the massive glass lens it has! :)

*yum yum*

ok, let's not talk about SIZE here, how's the lens' quality?

Agree that the lens, relatively, is one big glass and almost looks like one that is interchangeable...

jasphotography said:
Edwin, I don't think the FZ-1 comes with constant aperture lens you know. If it does now or in future, I would be the first one to place an order.

Imagine 420mm at f2.8 !!! :eek:

jas, I think it really is constant f2.8 throughout the whole zoom range... :)

Tried shooting with one at MSColor when it was first released... Really bright lense... Managed to shoot the people walking outside the place using the max zoom, and that time was around 8 plus I think... :)

So are you rushing to get one already??? ;p

Edwin

jasphotography said:
ok, let's not talk about SIZE here, how's the lens' quality?

Agree that the lens, relatively, is one big glass and almost looks like one that is interchangeable...

quality wise i have no idea... but i know how to change the lens... first, give the camera a HARD knock... :bsmilie:

Hmmm... a Leica can't be that bad rite??? :think:

And I think the standard package includes a flower hood... :) Looks impressive when mounted on the camera... How I wish Sony had also included theirs in the standard package... Haiz... :cry:

Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.