Today Computer Times - Leica Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edwin said:
jas, I think it really is constant f2.8 throughout the whole zoom range... :)

Tried shooting with one at MSColor when it was first released... Really bright lense... Managed to shoot the people walking outside the place using the max zoom, and that time was around 8 plus I think... :)

So are you rushing to get one already??? ;p

Edwin

wohoo, you getting me excited now and again...

I thought it was constant aperture too as I detected no changes in LCD brightness as I zoomed fully out.

But then... they've already said "DC Vario-Elmarit f2.8-4.6 Asph", so how do you explain this?

I feel Panasonic would have blown their trumpet loud and clear if the aperture is constant throughout the entire zoom range, afterall, this is one dame good selling point!

jasphotography said:
denizenx, what you wanted us to see on the right?

CA at the edge of the building...and yes it IS 2.8 constant throughout the whole range...coupled with LEICA lens i guess FZ2 that is coming to replace FZ1 will be a more functional camera with 3 megapix and A/S/M(maybe) modes...stay tuned!

memory said:
CA at the edge of the building...and yes it IS 2.8 constant throughout the whole range...coupled with LEICA lens i guess FZ2 that is coming to replace FZ1 will be a more functional camera with 3 megapix and A/S/M(maybe) modes...stay tuned!

I did notice the edges but I couldn't name what fault was it. And what the heck is CA?

and paiseh.... didn't read thoroughly the camera spec:

Aperture (Iris) F2.8 (wide to telephoto)
Focus Distance f=4.6-55.2mm (35mm equiv: 35-420mm)

I got mixed up (from the lens marking) thinking it is 35mm at f2.8 and 420mm at f4.6 :embrass: The ah pek who tested briefly the FZ-1 thought the same too.

ok, I go order a FZ-2 now! In the mean time, I think I should check out the FZ-1 more. Didn't have much camera time at the shop! :confused:

sehsuan said:
CA == chromatic abberation == something like astigmatism? :dunno:

aiya, say so lah, I know chromatic abberation which is a phenomenon of
the lack of a lens' ability to focus all wave lengths of different colours at the same plane, resulting to unsharped images.

But then I thought Aspherical lens is the antidote for CA?

Then again, based on one above picture, I can't comment if CA really exist in the FZ-1 lens.

dennislim said:
ur 1st digital cam =P
after using nikon for so long

dennis, you maciam very free right, every day every night.

I need some manpower this Friday if you know what I mean... :)

no, not my 1st digital camera. I got my second digital camera already, they are mainly used for my company product shots... to testify on court or on my supplier!!! :D

jasphotography said:
dennis, you maciam very free right, every day every night.

I need some manpower this Friday if you know what I mean... :)

no, not my 1st digital camera. I got my second digital camera already, they are mainly used for my company product shots... to testify on court or on my supplier!!! :D

yes i am free 90% of the time hee ...

what can i be of help to u ? PM me if its private

jasphotography said:
But then I thought Aspherical lens is the antidote for CA?

Thought it should be APO/ED/SD that corrects for CA?
Aspherical is to correct for Coma I think.

Anyway, the CA is pretty obvious here and that isn't the worst case high contrast scenario yet. Wait till you have a bright sunny day...

jasphotography said:
I thought it was constant aperture too as I detected no changes in LCD brightness as I zoomed fully out.

just for info, for digial cams, even if aperture changes when zooming in/out, there may not be any change in LCD brightness. This is because most digicams increase the gain for the LCD display, so that the user can still see the preview at a comfortable brightness level.

Tweek said:
just for info, for digial cams, even if aperture changes when zooming in/out, there may not be any change in LCD brightness. This is because most digicams increase the gain for the LCD display, so that the user can still see the preview at a comfortable brightness level.

but for the A70 I used/borrowed, the LCD brightness does change when zoomed out :dunno:

Zerstorer said:
Thought it should be APO/ED/SD that corrects for CA?
Aspherical is to correct for Coma I think.

Click on here to see...

From one of the links:

ASPHERIC (ASPHERICAL) LENS - A lens element that changes shape across its surface as opposed to one having a smooth continuous arc. Generally, an aspherical lens deviates slightly from an exactly spherical shape, and is relatively free from aberrations. Light rays are bent more at the edges of a conventional spherical lens than they are at the center, causing them to come into focus before the film plane. A lens made with aspherical elements focuses all the light rays passing through it on the film plane.

dennislim said:
eh jas ... what is the help u need ?

no need no need, thank you! tomorrow quite relax... but will mobile you for more labour-intensive job :D

jasphotography said:
Click on here to see...
ASPHERIC (ASPHERICAL) LENS - A lens element that changes shape across its surface as opposed to one having a smooth continuous arc. Generally, an aspherical lens deviates slightly from an exactly spherical shape, and is relatively free from aberrations. Light rays are bent more at the edges of a conventional spherical lens than they are at the center, causing them to come into focus before the film plane. A lens made with aspherical elements focuses all the light rays passing through it on the film plane.

It says to correct for light rays going off focus(coma or spherical aberration), but it doesn't say to correct for light being dispersed into a secondary spectrum and not focusing at the same point, which is the main cause of CA.

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/LensGuide/opt_tech.html

dennislim said:
waaaa ... bully me :cry:

oh is it? I thought I am actually abusing you :p

Lucky you didn't come today... from Pasir Panjang to Lim Chu Kang took me, or rather, my inexperienced driver, 1hr and 15 mins !! :complain:

Was spinning around AYE, PIE, SLE & BKE, exit and enter the expressways for countless times... shiek!

Think I need a massage!

Hi,

From what I can see from the some demo pics I found in HWZ, the CA is quite visible on the FZ-1 but can be corrected using PS. I took the liberty of downloading the demo pics and PSed them that time (cos that time my supervisor was looking at FZ-1 actually). You can find the pics here at my humble photo gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.