To use digital camera LCD or thru the viewfinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie_ng81

May 26, 2004
Singapore
Hello,
Im pretty much a novice and I would like to know the difference between using the LCD of a digicam to take photos and thru the viewfinder? Should be called viewfinder rite? I mean the one where you look thru for film cameras to take photos. What are the pros and cons?

What i know from my camera is that the LCD shows 100% of what will be framed in the photo while the viewfinder only shows 85%. Also that use viewfinder helps to conserve battery. :)

In strong lightning, viewing thru the viewfinder blocks glares, and enables you to see the subject clearly. Of coz, as what catpuke pointed out, you see 100% and save battery. Viewing in LCD also allows you to have a preview before the shot is taken. Unless yours in the EVF, optical VF does not have any preview.

the framing of your shot will be more accurate on the lcd.
the downside of it is that (as catpuke has mentioned) it saps your batteries and may introduce greater camera-shake from your holding posture as opposed to holding it firmly to your your face when using the viewfinder

i used a nikon 5700, what you see through the viewfinder is actually the same as what you see in the LCD.

so it solves all of the problems listed above, no glare, reduced battery consumption, and i see exactly what i shoot.

remember that unlike an slr, you'll have digital zoom, which won't appear in your viewfinder. (5700 will reproduce that though)

lcd for dc is better...coz its designed to be used wif lcd....the viewfinder normally blocked by lens or got this parallex error in sight....so u get diff photos which can be quite irritating...

LCd normally has a lag . Wave your hand in front of lens to see the effect. So if you are shoting action, go for the viewfinder.

Im currently using a olympus C-5060, its not a SLR but seems like the photos that I take using the viewfinder seems pretty alrite, like there's not much of a shifting in the photos. And yeah, it seems like Im not able to shoot fast action shots like lightning. Or is it my camera too slow? I cant see the lightning flash on the LCD.

First, I am very used (40+ years) to a viewfinder (VF). My new Canon S1 IS has both VF & LCD, and I almost always use the VF to compose and snap an image.

1) as mentioned, a VF saves some power.
2) the VF significantly reduces hand shake as the arms are held close to the body, even with my Canon's Image stabilizer.
3) this (2) is especially true when using manual focus or in dim lighting conditions.
4) zero glare and distractions with VF.
5) you can see the settings icons far better on the VF.
6) if you wear bi-focals, you need to tilt your head way back and hold the camera up at eye level to use the LCD. This makes it very hard to compose.
7) the only real advantage to the LCD over the VF, is for shooting over the heads in a crowd, and you really need a tilt/swivel LCD to do that.
8) I use the LCD mainly for reviewing snaps.
9) the LCD is probably better when using a tri-pod. (haven't tried yet)

Aside: My cousins Minolta A1 has a neat feature. It has a setting that automatically switches from LCD to VF when you put the VF to your eye, then back to LCD when away from your eye.

ttfn
jgb

Status
Not open for further replies.