Status
Not open for further replies.

acroamatic

Mar 13, 2004
Bishan
deadpoetscave.com
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0 said:
Picture book planned for National Day 2005

SLICES of Singapore captured in photographs are wanted for a 300-page book to commemorate the Lion's City 40th year of independence next year.
Read the rest of the article here.

To Singapore With Love website

All photographs to be sent to PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) i think.

SAFRAPC member can sent to the new club.... rep from the project will send on behalf....

Hi
the intention is noble
a photo book on singapore,
but listening in to the tv last night I was shocked to hear they have a: a budget of $500K, b: they want all your photos for free to use as they see fit, c: they are going to sell this book for $40 ,
isn't this another blatent free use of singaporean photographers talent, arn't we all just giving it away to commercial giants after all CDL also just launched another photo competition where they want us to send in pictures of life around the marina so that they can have free use of our talents, why can't they just pay us what we deserve for our pictures and be above board about it.

Totally agree John.

If you want to produce a photobook you must be prepared to pay for the photographs surely? So the photographer gets an acknowledgement?? Big deal.

When are people going to realise that if you want quality work from quality photographers using quality (and expensive in most cases) equipment, then it is going to cost you.

I for one won't be entering any of my images.

acroamatic said:
karwing, the website is in my original post.

yah, photos to be sent to PSS.
oh yah... oops! sorry =)

travelshooter said:
Hi
the intention is noble
a photo book on singapore,
but listening in to the tv last night I was shocked to hear they have a: a budget of $500K, b: they want all your photos for free to use as they see fit, c: they are going to sell this book for $40 ,
isn't this another blatent free use of singaporean photographers talent, arn't we all just giving it away to commercial giants after all CDL also just launched another photo competition where they want us to send in pictures of life around the marina so that they can have free use of our talents, why can't they just pay us what we deserve for our pictures and be above board about it.

Just some simple questions and SAD comments....

HOW MANY BOOKS CAN YOU FIND IN SINGAPORE THAT IS DONE BY PURE SINGAPOREAN?????? PHOTOGRAPHER, WRITER, EDITIOR, PUBLISHER???

By the way, the rule and regulation state clearly: Singapore Citizen, Permanent Residents, Student Pass or Employment Pass/ Work Permit holder RESIDING in Singapore. And NOT OPEN TO EVERYONE who wish to contribute can do so......

This is a project HEAD by MD CDL..... NOT CDL LTD.... and the competition is launch by CDL LTD not MD CDL..... These are 2 different cases....

The budget is for other cost... You report tax to gov.... but I guess there is no need for them to make a report on how they spent the money to the public.... 1st most important issue... if no money, do u think any printer willing to K.I.V this HUGE number of prints?? Or willing to print for FREE?????? How many pictures can they buy with 500K and how many photographers can they engage with that amount or even, how many books can they print with that amount???

HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK YOUR WORK WORTH???? And how much can a book earn?? Even for competition, DO you think you are a sure WINNER with your NOBLE work???? :confused:

Even if the book is sold, it will be sold with the effort of SINGAPOREAN..... Not yours alone.... and THAT IS THE IDEA...

If the book sold overseas, people read and see TONS of SINGAPOREAN NAMESssss in a $40 book worth of photographs of Singapore instead of petition.... what would they think "STUPID??? NOBLE???" they see the unity of the country...... and how many BOOKS you see in the world with TONS of the citizens' names in it???? if there is no cost for the book.... HOW ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE TO THE PUBLIC??? at MRT stations give away??? or "Q"ing overnight for the book at a certain location... with 2 books per head?? :think:

I guess people have misunderstood what SM GOH has mentioned before "BE INDEPENDENT" for yourselves don't always depend on gov... and of course stupid question was ask, "How the gov wants Singaporean to be independent??" "You want to be independent and now, you are asking gov how to be independent!!!"

Now when somebody stands out to show independence, what they got is "wet blanket".... sad to see all these.... I guess they got the assistance for the 4 major photo clubs are the right choice.... that is to avoid noble photos and photographers not wanting to contribute unless on cash transaction...:cry:

I’ll be one of the noble photographers to have my pictures or only my name in the book... because I believe, "photos are cheap, moments are priceless"

Young photographers who are not depending on selling of photography service and photos, its time for you to contribute and CHIONG ah... :blah: everyone wants to see how Singapore unite... not only on National Day wearing RED..... but in other ways.....

that is to avoid noble photos and photographers not wanting to contribute unless on cash transaction...

Just want to be paid what I deserve...it's ok for you to feel the other way but why don't you go and read the thread about Clubsnappers being taken advantage of as a cheap source for photographers. You'll see that John and I are not alone in our thoughts.

Fine...go ahead and submit. Sure you will feel a pang of national self-righteousness. Maybe you will get selected and see your photo all around Singapore. Maybe then you'll think...Hold on...they are using MY work to promote Singapore and they didn't pay me one cent, didn't even pay me enough to cover the wear and tear on the equipment, the paper that you printed it out on, the time you spent taking the shot...

And by the way, it's not polite to SHOUT in threads.

This is a project for Singaporean (photographers) to show their love for the country thro' photos durig the celebration of the country's birthday. Its is to show unity. At least this project is fully underwritten by Mr Kwek. Photo Clubs' involvment is to help iin gathering and orgainising shoots. Idea generators do not need to worry about money matters. Selling the book at $40 is just not to re-coup the money spend. Otherwise, how would the book going to be distributed? Send one to every household?

Well, if you want to compare with some CSers here, in the name of promotiing photography and giving benifits to members, but profiteering in activities they organise.
e.g. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=95112, TSWL is indeed a noble project.

Ask denniskee how difficult it is to organise the Orchard Rd shoot (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=94490). Still wondering who is sponsoring his project that is going to make a record for the country.

Phildate said:
Fine...go ahead and submit. Sure you will feel a pang of national self-righteousness. Maybe you will get selected and see your photo all around Singapore. Maybe then you'll think...Hold on...they are using MY work to promote Singapore and they didn't pay me one cent, didn't even pay me enough to cover the wear and tear on the equipment, the paper that you printed it out on, the time you spent taking the shot...

To me, the title says it all. To Singapore with Love.

I'm not a professional photographer. I just started this as a hobby only a few months ago. Still learning the basics as a matter of fact. But I see this as a worthwhile acitivity, to do something that isn't just for my own benefit, but has more meaning to it.

If I should be so fortunate to get one of my photos accepted for publishing (not very likely, sigh), its not so much of promoting Singapore the country, but more of sharing a uniquely Singaporean experience, recorded through a photo.

After all, isn't that what photography about? Sharing a record of your own experiences?

Phildate said:
Just want to be paid what I deserve...it's ok for you to feel the other way but why don't you go and read the thread about Clubsnappers being taken advantage of as a cheap source for photographers. You'll see that John and I are not alone in our thoughts.

And by the way, it's not polite to SHOUT in threads.

First, acroamatic put the threat to SHARE the information..... and NOT as part of the organiser for the project.... and also he didn't mention that the project are looking for CLUBSNAP photographers............

second, "Clubsnappers being taken advantage of as a cheap source for photographers." it just depends on how you going to think.... I have seen PEOPLE offering CS photographers "peanuts" and they just take it.... its not that the market is BAD.... just that the photographers willing to stay with "PEANUTS", so don't put the blame out on why people paying so low....

Most photographers here are starters. they see good money, they just take and they doesn't know about the rate. wheras photographers who knows the market rate, don't bother about they. so who to blame?? the "peanut taker" or the "peanut giver"??

if one spreads, "CS can get good rate of photographers..." everyone with budget constrain will source photographers here.... why bother to get proffesional where they can save 90% of the money. if NO CS photographer take the job or ask for higher rates, those people will sure to pay higher rates, if not get professional for they job.

for the project, i guess contributing ONE picture doesn't cost any wear and tear on cameras unless u are shooting at a HIGH mountain,DEEP the sea, wind like typhoon,etc in Singapore to cause so much damage. if not u can easily dig out 1 or 2 pictures that suits the theme.... there is no need to shoot for the sake of shooting....

furthermore, they are asking for entry form ($0.10 for printing the form), $1 for CD, $0.40 for stamps(incase u sending the CD case as well) WAH.... overall cost $1.50 so "expensive"... if not, just drop the CD to the clubs, PSS ,SAFRAPC and PAS can easily reach with public transport... only SCPS is a bit out of way only....

some project are for the name, some for money, some for art,some for charity. when its time for money, its for money, when time for charity or art, its time for charity or art.... not every time for MONEY....

by the way, it is supported by NAC and MICA. if there is miss use of pictures, you can go to them direct even if you can't find the chairman if future....

Phildate said:
not to inflame the situation, but there is a difference between a commercial book sale which is purely profit oriented versus a national event.

for example, the participants are not paid to put on the show at NDP. (except for some) but in general, the ones who come out on the field for the mass displays do it for the country.

similarly, this book is to promote the country. alittle give and take is fine in this instance i think.

Just popped in from work and just have time to say "CHill Out" guys...not trying to offend anyone here.

i guess contributing ONE picture doesn't cost any wear and tear on cameras unless u are shooting at a HIGH mountain,DEEP the sea, wind like typhoon,etc in Singapore to cause so much damage. if not u can easily dig out 1 or 2 pictures that suits the theme.... there is no need to shoot for the sake of shooting....

If you can get the sort of shot that they are looking for by just taking one or two photos then you definitely deserve to be paid :) if not, you're probably like me, who shoots loads, and if I'm lucky get one or two great shots every now and then. Count up the hours it takes to get these shots and it's hundreds...do I deserve some recognition and maybe compensation. Well I think it would be nice that's all.

Phildate said:
Just popped in from work and just have time to say "CHill Out" guys...not trying to offend anyone here.

If you can get the sort of shot that they are looking for by just taking one or two photos then you definitely deserve to be paid :) if not, you're probably like me, who shoots loads, and if I'm lucky get one or two great shots every now and then. Count up the hours it takes to get these shots and it's hundreds...do I deserve some recognition and maybe compensation. Well I think it would be nice that's all.

u go for a competition, do u think the judges or any one else care how many shots u have take b4 u got a decent pic...?

u shoot like machine loads and only lucky to get 1 or 2 satistify shots every now and then...i think u probably better off if u go shot with a video cam...a lot more saving! :dunno: photography is more of a matter of skill, timing, patience and passions....not machine gunning all the way.

the idea is to have a collection of some nice photographs consolidated into a book for a country by it's very own countrymen. in term of recognition, they would have your very own name printed on the book, isnt that enough? if u think your machine gun shots are so noble or too expensive to share...well, keep it to yourself or send it off overseas to the national geographics magazine...they probably have better and compensate for u.

MD CDL could make bigger buck out of his bery own business than photography....i suppose he would be most disappointing to heard your comments here.

CSnapper are cheap...true...how many CSnapper are pro or how many are starter...u all know. when u are starter, u are just "cheap"...that apply to all other professions in the world...engg, accountant, doc, etc.

I don't mind not getting paid... but if they use my picture, at least give me a copy of that book. Is that too much to ask for?

fuzzy said:
I don't mind not getting paid... but if they use my picture, at least give me a copy of that book. Is that too much to ask for?

there are no rules and regulations that mention YOU DON't GET THE BOOK AFTER YOU CONTRIBUTE..... so just stay tune and wait lor.... for Photo Clubs, i think the rep will sure to "FIGHT" to get a copy for contributors for the club.....

Phildate said:

if u think that picture WORTH a lot, then wait till people or companies who have the SAME love and sell it to them for the sake of that LOAD of shots and the time that you have spend.....

people PAY for photos that deserve the money.... they don't CARE how much time and loads of shots u have done.... U pay the compensation if you don't give them what they want.....

this project gives the RECOGITION to photographers who contribute.....

obviousdude said:
not to inflame the situation, but there is a difference between a commercial book sale which is purely profit oriented versus a national event.

for example, the participants are not paid to put on the show at NDP. (except for some) but in general, the ones who come out on the field for the mass displays do it for the country.

similarly, this book is to promote the country. alittle give and take is fine in this instance i think.

agree with this point.... the participants have more than one reason to go for this event.... not to go for FREE KFC weekend after weekends.....

Status
Not open for further replies.