To shoot in sRGB or Adobe RGB settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artfakeme

Mar 6, 2005
Singapore
www.dvineshots.com
Hi guys, I found out that shooting in Adobe RGB settings gives better colour output (printout) then on sRGB.

How true is this?

All the while I have been shooting in sRGB and the print out looks good so far.

I will soon do a test print from this two different settings to see if there is any difference.

Care to share to those who know the diff?

to what i know.. not many (if any) printers can produce the entire gamut of adobe RGB.

artfakeme said:
Hi guys, I found out that shooting in Adobe RGB settings gives better colour output (printout) then on sRGB.

How true is this?

I will soon do a test print from this two different settings to see if there is any difference.

It will depend on your subject and final output.

For prints by photo labs.... sRGB will do.

For your own prints... depend on your printer. Eg like Epson R800 or the new A3 printer (can't remember model) have slightly wider colour space.

Also have to conside what paper you are using.... :bigeyes: confusing? :sweat:

artfakeme said:

How true is this?

if you intend to do your own post processing using Photoshop,
then Adobe RGB is the way to go.

the said setting will not apply when shooting in RAW, only in JPGs.

I've seen a picture by both Adobe RGB and sRGB printed out A1 size, and there is a great difference....Adobe RGB is more accurate..but on 4R, almost no difference can be seen...

artfakeme said:

How true is this?

Adobe RGB has a wider color gamut than sRGB. Blow up the images. Only then will you see the difference in color.

Most photolabs in sg are printing in sRGB which have a smaller colour gamut than Adobe RGB. If you sent your images to them in Adobe RGB your prints will not have the full spectrum of colours in them. Most of the time you'll get a kind of "grey layer" over them which is most noticable on skin tone. BUT some labs will print your Adobe RGB images through Photoshop and not the default printing software ( fuji software, kodak software...etc ), in this case Adobe RGB will give you better result IF they will do the necessary adjustment.
For me I'll shoot in sRGB if I'm going to sent them to colourlab to do prints and
only shoot in Adobe RGB if the images are going for offset printing(newspaper, mag...etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.