To Repair or Not to Repair 18-200mm VR?

ymmij

Dec 4, 2005
Hi my 18-200mm VR (version 1) of more than 2 years have been giving me some issues lately. It takes a while to focus sometimes and there is a lot of noise like grrrr grrr.... The image quality is still ok. The focus is fine sometimes after some churning noise.

I took it down to NSC and was quoted about $360 for replacement of VR parts and SW motor plus general cleaning. A new lens cost slight over $1000.

Now this is a little ridiculous as this cost about 35% of a new piece.

A gentleman I met at the NSC told me to just keep the lens and buy another new one. Whats your opinion and advice. Thanks.

For me, I will get it repaired for $360 and use the balance of $640- $700 on another lens(or other things like flash)

If the problem is just slow/noisy focusing and is not vital(unless using for professional shooting jobs), I'll even not repair it and spend the $1000 on other lenses

Look like you used this lens alot.

only you will know if its worth it to repair.

the newer 18-200 VR II is close to $1,200 unless you wanna try your bet on a 2nd hand

Just ask yourself, how old is the lens? Unlike the old manual lens with no electronics, no matter how good a brand is, electronics are bound to degrade over age and after you've replace one part another part may start to give problem. The 18-200mm may not be a high end professional lens, but, if it is more than 4 years, and budget is not an issue, you may want to consider getting a new lens instead.

since warranty no more, can asking fatigue or other shops see how much they charge to fix.

One good thing about this lens is that the VR mechanism has a "fixed" position. At this position, the VR mechanism will not be floating.
For a minimum fee, you can ask a camera technician to disable the VR: remove the VR flexible cable ( could be the root cause of focus and VR problem), and set the VR mechanism to it's fixed position. All functionwould be normal except VR function.

If you still want the VR function, you can ask a 3rd party technician to get the VR flex cable replaced. Of course, ask him to confirm if the AF problem is really caused by flex cable problem

Thanks for the replies.

I have used this lens for 2 years plus. Except for the noise and initial unable to focus time lag, the lens is in workable condition with decent image quality.

Besides NSC what are the common repair shops you guys frequent?

Thanks for the replies.

I have used this lens for 2 years plus. Except for the noise and initial unable to focus time lag, the lens is in workable condition with decent image quality.

Besides NSC what are the common repair shops you guys frequent?

just ask fatigue to have a look at it.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I will not be sending it to NSC for now.

Do you think 17-55 F2.8 lens would be a good replacement? Is it advisable to get a used one or maybe a new one since the price difference is about 60%?

ymmij said:
Thanks for the replies. Guess I will not be sending it to NSC for now.

Do you think 17-55 F2.8 lens would be a good replacement? Is it advisable to get a used one or maybe a new one since the price difference is about 60%?

Actually 18-200mm is versatile for when you traveling. Not the sharpest lens but if you got a bit of patience can take quite some nice photos.

yes the 18-200 VR1 lens have served me well over the few years. now it is a little faulty though.

i would be helping a friend to take his rom photos so i need a working lens, rest of my lens are prime mostly that's why i was thinking of getting a 17-55.

yes the 18-200 VR1 lens have served me well over the few years. now it is a little faulty though.

i would be helping a friend to take his rom photos so i need a working lens, rest of my lens are prime mostly that's why i was thinking of getting a 17-55.

17-55 is a very good lens. But whether it is a good match for your shooting style, largely depends on yourself.

well i am no pro and it is just a ROM, so mostly like an event. friend wanted to make his day a low-key event. couple do not even want photo shoot at fort canning after the event. weird though.

i read alot on this 17-55 F2.8 lens and definitely it is an amazing lens. question for me now is whether i should be getting a new one or a used one, which cost about 60% of the new price estimated.

well i am no pro and it is just a ROM, so mostly like an event. friend wanted to make his day a low-key event. couple do not even want photo shoot at fort canning after the event. weird though.

i read alot on this 17-55 F2.8 lens and definitely it is an amazing lens. question for me now is whether i should be getting a new one or a used one, which cost about 60% of the new price estimated.

decisions.. life is full of decisions.. anyway best of luck.

When u have filthly plenty of $ , u probably dont need to decide &/or choose...

Life is a decision, only for less rich... Or not-so-rich.. :wink:

Anyway maybe u can consider cheaper option, tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Last edited: