To move or to ask the guy to lower his camera ?

To move or to ask the guy to lower his camera ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken111111

May 24, 2004
Jurong
Scenario:
1) You are taking photograph (using DSLR on a monopod) at an event and were standing at the '3rd row'.
2) The external flash of the photographer at the '1st row' is blocking your view.

Would you move your position or ask the person at the '1st row' to lower his camera ???

Other conditions:
1) The guy at the 1st layer is about 1.80m
2) He is using a prosumer camera with an external flash.
3) He is using LCD to frame his picture and the LCD is raised to his eye level. Obviously at horizontal position, the flash will be way above his head.

Finally...
Okay I admit. Actually I'm the guy at the 1st row. And I'm dead sure that the LCD is at my eye level because anything above and the color in the LCD would starts to darken.

Edit01: To see the images on the LCD clearly, the camera have to be at least 15cm away to avoid being cok-eye after the photography session.

Edit02: I found a picture from my collection to illustrate my point. Look at the few digicam in the picture. Do you think they are holding too high ?
PICT0013.jpg

The answer is NO.. because when they raise the LCD to the eye level, this is what the person at the back will see. Imagine they mount an external flash. It's going to be a lot higher.

Its rather impossible to lower camera to commodate others, if you do that, you are risking your back and maintaining the wrong posture. How long can you "tahan"? I do have these suggestions for the people behind.
1) grow taller
2) move to another location where you have better view (of course compromising your expected results from the shoot)
3) bring a ladder or stool
4) don't shoot at all
edit: forgot to add
5) be there early to beat the rest
:)

Wow, since that day after another CSer and I did that and then I shared in the gallery, lots of people also trying to get eye-contact huh? :D

But bring stool shouldn't be a problem what. :dunno: I was shooting 4th row then? What was the guy's problem in getting the shots anyway?

I'm not sure if that photographer is a member of clubsnap.

But I just want to explain that I'm not holding my camera too high.
Being close to 1.80m, I'm 1/2 a head taller than those beside me...
The minolta 3600HDS flash is actually quite tall. And when I bring the LCD to my eye level, the flash actually shoots out very high. For members who have used the Z1 camera before, you should know that the LCD would starts to darken if it's not at eye-level.

Wearing a spectacles, it's quite impossible for me to use that viewfinder on the camera.

SLR user: When u see other people using LCD on the camera to take the photograph, do you have that feeling: how come they always hold the camera so high ?

Drudkh said:
5) be there early to beat the rest
:)

That's what I did today.. went there at 5.50 and managed to secure a front position. And I guess I blocked quite a lot of people at the back.

It's not my fault for being tall... :cry:

Whether you hold it high or not, the guy ain't gonna shoot above your head right?

Drudkh said:
Whether you hold it high or not, the guy ain't gonna shoot above your head right?

From his angle he's supposed to be shooting over me and another photographer's shoulder (Remember, he's at the 3 row). There's a malay Canon user standing behind me (2nd row). Obviously the malay photographer had no problem taking photos except he occassionally knocks his lens on my back, which makes me jump.

But there is a minimum viewing distance from my eye to the LCD.. LCD too close to the eye, wait I become cok eye.. :bsmilie:
So I estimate the camera to be 15 cm in front of me...
And I guess the external flash is the culprit which blocks him.

So in the end, I bring my camera down, such that the FLASH does not go above my head, at the expense that I'm not able to see the images clearly in the LCD.

next time bring a chair or ladder

if you're not assigned... or not paid to do it, may I suggest another option instead?

DON'T SHOOT! Save yourself some grief and enjoy the show. :angel:

Be there early or move to a better place to shoot. :bsmilie:
Late then lousy place who to blame? :think: Myself.

if u were to squeeze with the media...then it's no mercy...every man for himself, elbows fly, fancy footwork rules. Best man gets the spot. hahah :bsmilie:

oeyvind said:
if you're not assigned... or not paid to do it, may I suggest another option instead?

DON'T SHOOT! Save yourself some grief and enjoy the show. :angel:

Best suggestion I'd seen so far! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Venom81 said:
Be there early or move to a better place to shoot. :bsmilie:
Late then lousy place who to blame? :think: Myself.

Looking at the poll results, the next time someone ask me to lower my camera again (if I'm dead sure my camera is at my eye level) , I'll give them a smile and IGNORE them. :sweat:

I can't possibly ask...

1) the guy in front to lower his head because his head is blocking me
PICT0003.jpg

2) the fans to remove their 'signboard' :dunno:
PICT0019.jpg

3) ask people not to raise their hands when I'm taking picture
PICT0073.jpg

The last amateur who got in my way at a shoot copped a fast moving 600/4 to the side of the head .. he got the message real quick to p*** off. :devil:

So end of the story is, it is best for you to take a chair/ladder, go to the back and get the better shots without blocking or being blocked. If it is an assignment for work, get the best in all ways (of course unethical means are not advisable).

Ian said:
The last amateur who got in my way at a shoot copped a fast moving 600/4 to the side of the head .. he got the message real quick to p*** off. :devil:

so u mean being an amateur does not give the right to shoot pictures and learn and must step aside when a "pro" steps in?

ken111111 said:
Looking at the poll results, the next time someone ask me to lower my camera again (if I'm dead sure my camera is at my eye level) , I'll give them a smile and IGNORE them. :sweat:

If they still hold their cameras with external flash high in the air then siao liao. Then I can forget about taking pictures. :nono:
I dislike people with external flash that block my view. What to do......... LanLan. :think:

its the law of the jungle out there, do anything you need to to survive.

Follow what I do, bring your own ladder ( me = pioneer of the ladder - wonder if pple got follow me bring ladders now, haven't been to shows in a while).

Fart...

And watch the crowd around u thin immediately ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.