to jumpship, or not?

patzer

Dec 2, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hi all, im new to photography and even newer to CS.

I bought my first DSLR sony A330 earlier june this year. well i am totally sastified with sony now but i do have some concerns on whether will it remain the same in the future.

As such, i am rather reluctant to buy any accessories like lenses and flashes as im afraid i might realise sony isnt really for me.

From what I hear(from my friends), sony seems to be very unpopular among singaporean photographers.

Quite a few of my friends say that sony doesnt have the same image quality as canon or nikon, and all of its lenses except the CZs are sub-par.

However, i was rather impressed by sony's a55 10fps and AF points.

Also, as sony is new to the DSLR sector, i must also consider that sony may improve in the future and be able to churn out better stuff.

Even so, i'm still very unsure on whether in invest in any sony accessories or not, help please!

It seems that your friends knows nothing about photography.
Who says that Sony doesn't have IQ comparable to other brands?

Just because everyone in the cafe is drinking coffee, doesn't mean you can't drink tea.
If you have reasons for needing a 10fps monster, then go ahead and get the A55/A33, the 10fps monsters in Canikons are real pocket burners.

Sony's FF is way cheaper that than of Canikon.
Sony has IS built into their bodies, IS in lenses can almost double the price of that of Non-IS in the other brands.
Minolta lenses are also compatible with Sony.

And lastly, most GWC uses Canikon :)

Last edited:
I think you need to do a bit more research, I use a Nikon but I know that Nikon uses Sony sensors.

Also, what you say about CZ lenses is equivalent to saying any other lenses other than L lenses for Canon is not up to par which is obviously not true.

I bought my first DSLR sony A330 earlier june this year. well i am totally sastified with sony now but i do have some concerns on whether will it remain the same in the future.

As such, i am rather reluctant to buy any accessories like lenses and flashes as im afraid i might realise sony isnt really for me.

From what I hear(from my friends), sony seems to be very unpopular among singaporean photographers.

Quite a few of my friends say that sony doesnt have the same image quality as canon or nikon, and all of its lenses except the CZs are sub-par.

Also, as sony is new to the DSLR sector, i must also consider that sony may improve in the future and be able to churn out better stuff.

Even so, i'm still very unsure on whether in invest in any sony accessories or not, help please!

err u do know right nikon and pentax is using sony's sensor, why are u reluctant to commit to a brand, so u sacrifice ur chance of getting better image and technique and choose to stick with ur kit lens and pop up flash and hope for miracle that the next new DSLR on the market can take very good image with a kit lens and pop up flash :bsmilie: well tell u those won't ever happen so instead of switching body why not start investing on lens there's no such thing as best DSLR, all sucks :bsmilie:, the user is the one that take good picture ;)

Last edited:
Go for it if the cam meet your requirements. Don't invest with a heavy heart, that's all. All the best!

only you can tell if sony floats your boat.

you can find out:
1. IQ of sony's camera through pictures of Sony boys on CS, Flickr, Dedicated Sony Alpha forum
2. Does the lens Sony offer satisfy your need? consider 3rd party options too
3. compare your camera capability vs your friends canon/nikon.

btw, Sony is not really new. Sony took over Konica Minolta DSLR arm.

For me, I was from the minolta camp. When Sony took over, I could have change camp then as I was not heavily invested in gears. The main reason why I stick with the Minolta/Sony mount is that Sony keeps the sensor stabilization route. I also believe it is easier to create top quality lens when you dun have to worry about optical stabilization. For example, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 have both versions and the one with no optical stabilization seems optically superior to the other.

Recently, I also discovered that Sony G and CZ lens are much cheaper in Hong Kong and you can still get 1 year Singapore warranty by converting the HK warranty at Sony Style HK. Although G and CZ lines are Sony top tier lenses, the "normal" sony lenses are capable of giving good results. You just need to know their limitations as with any other brand of lenses. Of course, the top tiers have better all round performance.

Hence, it is up to you to decide whether to stick to Sony but get your facts clear first. Make an informed decision and enjoy your hobby. Cheers!

well thanks all for the comments, after reading all of them i guess i should get my self better informed on what sony has.

well i am totally sastified with sony now but i do have some concerns on whether will it remain the same in the future.

This statement of yours should be enough to tell you what you should do. Don't waste your time and money changing systems without a really good reason.

As for your friends, they are not using your camera, you are. The statement about image/lens quality is rubbish. There are many pros who shoot with Sony - by pros I don't mean those who 'shoot nice photos', but who make their living from photography.

Yes, Sony is less popular than Canon and Nikon, but it has gained market and mind-share rapidly in the last few years. Leica and Hasselblad are even less popular.

If you're worried about sinking more money into the system and losing out if you decide to change later, bear this in mind: the part of your system that will depreciate the most is your body - you already have that. Lenses hold value better, so you won't really lose as much, as long as you make prudent deals.

Change only when the system you are using can no longer meet your shooting needs.

Not to satisfy some peer pressure or imaginations of how a different system will somehow help you take better pictures.

well thanks all for the comments, after reading all of them i guess i should get my self better informed on what sony has.

If you're dissatisfied with your photos, I would say that it doesn't help how much you know sony has or has not. Improve yourself first. Do you know the interaction between f number, shutter speed and ISO, or even basic composition guidelines? I hope you do before you consider switching camps.

Even if you buy, say a top of the line C/N camera, and you know nuts about the basics then I think you'll continue to be dissatisfied. Then what, jump to Hasselblad? Mamiya? Pretty soon you'll scrap photography cos no camera can replicate what your eyes can.

always remember, it's person behind the cam...;)

[hypnosis=ON]

come come... cross over to the dark side... :devil:
[hypnosis=OFF]

hehehehe kidding.
You seem very hesitant about Sony. But I hope from all the replies you've received so far, you'll have realized that the person operating the camera makes the biggest difference. Are you dissatisfied with your current Sony camera in any way? If not, continue shooting with it :) Don't be afraid to invest further. You always have the option of selling it off at a later date should you find it unsuitable.

How much does it really matter when you take a picture, edit the picture? Recognizing sensor type / camera type from looking at pictures is esoteric blabbering, colours can be changed (and wil be changed during post processing). Skilled people can take pictures with PnS cameras and make other go "Wowo!" about. Camera type? Sensor type? WTH..? :)
Gear freaks blabber about technical specs that exist in paper but are mostly invisible to naked eye.

Even if you buy, say a top of the line C/N camera, and you know nuts about the basics then I think you'll continue to be dissatisfied. Then what, jump to Hasselblad? Mamiya? Pretty soon you'll scrap photography cos no camera can replicate what your eyes can.

Well said haha. :thumbsup:

Like a someone wanting to be the best swordman, but is concern about his sword not being powerful enough, keep searching searching , end of the day, give him excalibur also maybe cannot win any sword fight at all.

its never about the camera, its the person using it.

If a picture turns out bad, 99.99% of the time the camera is not to be blamed.

just jump... you will fell more secure...

I beg to differ. It's important to understand what's the option available in each brand and see if they could match your needs. Each brand has its own strength and weakness. If what Sony is good at matches your needs and wants, then there is no need to change. Example, if you dread for live view, Sony is great. If you dread for fast primes, Sony has less choice at the moment, Nikon and Canon has more. If you dread for tilt shift lens, you would have to go for Nikon or Canon.

Having say so, if your purpose is general photography and not likely to spend a lot on high-end lenses, personally I believe the difference between various brand is marginal and may not worth the effort to change brand.

Example, if you dread for live view, Sony is great. If you dread for fast primes, Sony has less choice at the moment, Nikon and Canon has more. If you dread for tilt shift lens, you would have to go for Nikon or Canon.

Pardon the OT, but you should really find out what "dread" means!
As it is, none of the above make sense (though in general I think we get what you're trying to say)

I beg to differ. It's important to understand what's the option available in each brand and see if they could match your needs. Each brand has its own strength and weakness. If what Sony is good at matches your needs and wants, then there is no need to change. Example, if you dread for live view, Sony is great. If you dread for fast primes, Sony has less choice at the moment, Nikon and Canon has more. If you dread for tilt shift lens, you would have to go for Nikon or Canon.

TS is not clear what his needs are.

So, it is impossible to see if any brand matches his needs.