To give or not to give?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickerz

Here's my situation;

Me and my friend are photographers at our workplace (say he is Mr X, I'm Mr Z) but he's the official photographer. There were some times where he was given the "official" duty to take photos for some other colleagues weddings or special ocassion but on personal basis, as in just give "ang-pao" money. He did not set any amount for his side.

A few weeks ago, he was appointed to take an engagement of a colleague and I was there taking photos too but it's for my personal collection. The thing is should I give her my set of pictures? I'm afraid in this kind of situation, since (if) I give the person engaged all my pictures, the next time she (or some other friends) might think why should I pay Mr X when I can get it free from Mr Z? I don't mind giving since she's a good friend of mine but on another note I might be cutting into Mr X line from gaining extra income, sort of.

Appreciate view from you all. Thanks.

It's all up to you...

since you're there in a personal capacity, just choose a few good shots and give them to her. Tat way, you won't be really infiringing on his obligations.

For me, I'll just give lor. I assume you and Mr X are friends too, and he would know that you've been taking photos as well. So if your photos are really better than his, then who's to say who they want to engage?

But that's just me I guess... Otherwise, I'm sure I will have not much use for those photos...

where I come from, it would be very odd to refuse the photos you took of the same person who invited you to the event in the first place. What do you mean by "personal collection"? That you treat the person who invited you as a hired model?

If friends start to ask you to shoot for free, refuse if you don't want to and don't shoot even for your "personal collection". Once you took photos of a friend it's very odd, IMO, to refuse the photos (or cheat by not giving the good photos you took).

I think this should go in kopitiam.

Sorry, my point here is not being selfish by not giving my photos. It's just that in the case of me me giving all the photos, it may happen that next time she (or others) asked me to do it instead of paying Mr X to do it since I can give it for free. I'm more worried about me cutting into others lane, not selfish in giving my part for the photos. ;)

pass to ur friend see if he wants to include in album, else post somewhere like facebook and share it out lorz. :)

Sorry, my point here is not being selfish by not giving my photos. It's just that in the case of me me giving all the photos, it may happen that next time she (or others) asked me to do it instead of paying Mr X to do it since I can give it for free. I'm more worried about me cutting into others lane, not selfish in giving my part for the photos. ;)

that's what i said. If that happens, politely tell them that you can't take such a responsibility. even if you captured a few shots for you, it won't be difficult to share them in that case. Of course if you shoot like crazy and end up with more photos than the other guy, then your word won't hold water. My point is that "i'd shoot but won't give you photos" isn't going to work with friends. Much more consistent stand would be "I can't take the responsibility, ask him to shoot and I can share the few I might take".

Perhaps you should tell Mr X that you were asked for the photos and look at his response. Since both of are friends then things and situation like this could be amicably ironed out.

Or, like someone suggested, add your photos in the main album.

Just my two cents worth.;)

Here's my situation;

Me and my friend are photographers at our workplace (say he is Mr X, I'm Mr Z) but he's the official photographer. There were some times where he was given the "official" duty to take photos for some other colleagues weddings or special ocassion but on personal basis, as in just give "ang-pao" money. He did not set any amount for his side.

A few weeks ago, he was appointed to take an engagement of a colleague and I was there taking photos too but it's for my personal collection. The thing is should I give her my set of pictures? I'm afraid in this kind of situation, since (if) I give the person engaged all my pictures, the next time she (or some other friends) might think why should I pay Mr X when I can get it free from Mr Z? I don't mind giving since she's a good friend of mine but on another note I might be cutting into Mr X line from gaining extra income, sort of.

Appreciate view from you all. Thanks.

Actually, it really depends if your photos are considered good.
With all due respect, theres definately a diff between a paid professional and someone who does it as a hobby.
Thats why the really pro photographers dont really care if there are additional relatives/friends taking photos because ultimately, only the photographer is able to know what hes taking through the view finder.

If your pics are good, then your friends would have found a gem in you for all their future engagements. =)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.