To get a degree or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SianZronG

Sep 2, 2002
Punggol
www.1stjournal.com
Just coming out of NS, so the question is to take a plunge into work with my mouldy diploma or go study full time for a degree, or alternativly should i take a part time degree while i still work.

Money is always a concern. So my best bet is to do a part time while i work. question is what to study? I have a dip in computer engineering.

SO lost! :dunno: haha.... any suggestions from gurus out there?

Thanks! :)

SIM Uni?

what are your strenghts?

I would suggest that you go out and work first, to know for sure what you want to do for the rest of your life.

then go study in that field and excel in it.

Study what u are interested in. with passion then u will be good at it. when u are good at it, money will come find u ;p

hm... if that's the case i would stick with my dip, and do something like networking or system admin stuff like that. but who knows.

So i should work first? sounds like a good idea then get a feel of the industry first.

u can try, but 1 warning though.. alot of pp after they tried working and taste of earning $$, dun feel like gg back to school so dun let the evils of $$ get into u:bsmilie:

$$$$ makes the world go round! can study part time ma! no need compromise the $$ and still can get education, at most do a "extended" degree lo! haha.

I wanted to study what I was interest at...unfortunately turned down by UNI saying my dip grades not good enough....30%dip, 10%SAT,10% NS, 50% work experience criteria at that time...BS education system, based on grades and not interest. That is why so many of us are not happy working where we are...

Sorry OT, just my gripe.:(

dun get degree ;p dun fight ricebowl with me ;p :bsmilie:

study full-time and get tat degree b4 u start work...

work and study part-time is very difficult.

Sjourn said:
I wanted to study what I was interest at...unfortunately turned down by UNI saying my dip grades not good enough....30%dip, 10%SAT,10% NS, 50% work experience criteria at that time...BS education system, based on grades and not interest. That is why so many of us are not happy working where we are...

Sorry OT, just my gripe.:(
it's very hard to guage interest. Everyone who wants to get into uni normally write they have deep passion and immese interest in the subject, but how to tell who is genuine? You should blame the others how lied their way in instead

TrIjAm said:
study full-time and get tat degree b4 u start work...

work and study part-time is very difficult.
Agree with you ... Study while you can ...
Don't worry about working. You will have at least 30 years of that later. :sweat:

Klose said:

Dun get a technical degree from SIM for God sake.
They are more recognized for their business related degrees.
Most ppl get their degree from SIM due to upgrading opportunties in their current job

PLS DUN ever think of using a technical degree from SIM and apply for job as a fresh grad. :nono: :thumbsd: Never die b4.

Most company, infact all would rather go for the wiser and safer options: local grad from NTU, NUS. Even if they dun, they rather go for overseas grad from aus. SIM ranks the last.

In my humble opinion, dip holders may find their career limited. Uni Grads are very common now. :flush:
Well u can do a survey here and check how many uni grads around in CS :faint:

Go full time study and part time work. NUS and NTU are the best if u want to migrate in the future. But getting into NUS is not that easy though.

Study part time and work full time? I am doing that. U can forget about any other thing if u r working 5 1/2 days a week. Working shift work (3-4 days a week, 12 hours a day) would be better if u want to study part time. It will be better to have ur own transportation.

Institution recognition? Your first company will matter the most. Your subsequent companies will mostly see ur experience. But it still depends on the company. Some companies die die also want recognized degree holders.

Do more research and make a right move. ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.