To flash, or not to flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Just wondering, yo. When shooting sports, is it OK to use flash?

And what other situations would flash usage be taboo?
Indoor SSO-type concerts, art galleries & museums, and what else?

:dunno:

And what other situations would flash usage be taboo?

when the event organiser says no to flash

sometimse i worry also
i used flash for a while, for taking photos of skaters and bike stunts
but i switched if off later, worry it might affect them.

always use flash for sports (if possible). Flash helps to freeze the subject. You will also gain higher shutter speed when using flash.

Originally posted by AntZ
always use flash for sports (if possible). Flash helps to freeze the subject. You will also gain higher shutter speed when using flash.

Flash also distracts the subject and the loss of concentration may result in an accident or below-par performance. Not very polite to do so.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Flash also distracts the subject and the loss of concentration may result in an accident or below-par performance. Not very polite to do so.

Like what I said, only if possible means if the subject does not mind. Or other photographers are already using flash and its ok to the subject. Why use flash if the oragnisers or the sibject dont allow you to use that anyway.
Im only saying why flash helps.

sorry hor, i think my reply will be a bit OT
but don't flash at young kids, esp babies and toddlers. their eyes cannot take the harsh light.

Originally posted by AntZ

even if it's possible and allowed, sometimes you do want a slightly longer exposure to show motion. you wouldn't want all your ice skaters to look like they're standing and posing

Status
Not open for further replies.