To downgrade or not?

yorickt

May 5, 2010
Hi all,

I've been a lurker of CS forums for a while now so I know this is just the place where I can find reliable answers and different opinions.

I fell in love with photography when I was in secondary school. My father bought me a PnS camera, a Canon Ixus 50. A year ago, I decided to get a DSLR. After some reading up, I decided on the Canon 40D.

A year later now, I'm still struggling a lot with it. Maybe I'm just a moron at photography. I'm never getting what I want out of my DSLR. Everything is a little too intimidating and confusing.

I would peruse through CS forums and read field guides and it helps a little but I still haven't been able to feel comfortable with the 40D.

So... Should I downgrade to a prosumer before my frustration completely kills my interest?

It's just that, as a beginner, I want to be able to shoot without worrying about any technical aspects other than my eye. Do you know what I mean?

In short, I think my camera's bigger than I am. I feel like I need to hold on to something my own size, so to speak.

So what do you guys think?

yorickt

Sometimes a PNS camera will provide more satisfaction than a DSLR.
Investing in a DSLR will include investing in lens, tripod and the list goes on and on.....
If it is just too complicated..or simply you have no time for it, a pro consumer camera like the S90 is the way to go.
:)

Yes I agree the above, S90 maybe just what you need. Or even the Lx-3 (which I'm not too familiar with, apart from a bit of fiddling time). Don't give up on the 40D just yet, put it into the dry cabinet until you're ready for it.

Why S90 (some might recommend G11 too)? It has all the simple functions of the normal PnS and more. When you're ready to tackle a bit more, there's the shutter/aperture priority mode ready to welcome you. All you need is patience...

Remember, go slow on yourself if things are going to fast. This a hobby, not a profession to start with.

Maybe as a suggestion before you attempt a course of action that has financial repercussions, how about setting the 40D to run as an auto-everything camera, thereby more or less effectively going back to resembling a PNS.

I'd give that a try and then if it was still (!) freaking you out because it was too complex, maybe consider something else. But this way involves no financial outlay at least, and then maybe in time you can start getting more comfortable with it, taking control of one thing manually and letting the camera do the rest, taking control of another thing, etc.

just use 40d in auto mode and enjoy :)

why bother about the technical aspects if you dont want to ?? ;p

keep shooting !!!!;)

Hi all,

I've been a lurker of CS forums for a while now so I know this is just the place where I can find reliable answers and different opinions.

I fell in love with photography when I was in secondary school. My father bought me a PnS camera, a Canon Ixus 50. A year ago, I decided to get a DSLR. After some reading up, I decided on the Canon 40D.

A year later now, I'm still struggling a lot with it. Maybe I'm just a moron at photography. I'm never getting what I want out of my DSLR. Everything is a little too intimidating and confusing.

I would peruse through CS forums and read field guides and it helps a little but I still haven't been able to feel comfortable with the 40D.

So... Should I downgrade to a prosumer before my frustration completely kills my interest?

It's just that, as a beginner, I want to be able to shoot without worrying about any technical aspects other than my eye. Do you know what I mean?

In short, I think my camera's bigger than I am. I feel like I need to hold on to something my own size, so to speak.

yorickt

we all get hung up on equipments during some point in our lives. but our passion should always be about getting the right moment, lighting and compositions. feel free to downgrade if you feel that will help you maintain your interest in photography, but if you ask me, I would say keep the 40D, learn your trade. work harder to achieve what you want to achieve.

If there's something you do not quite know how to achieve, post some samples and ask for help in the forum. The 40D can do what most prosumer cams can do, in fact can do it much better. thus you should go about your problems a different way. Read more books, go for courses, and start asking questions. :)

Ditto above, I haven't thought about the financial repercussions part. :thumbsup:

Set the DSLR into programme mode. Concentrate on composition. Take photos. When composition becomes second nature to you then switch to aperture priority mode. Ask yourself what aperture should I use to take this shot. Take photos. When selecting the aperture becomes second nature to you. Try complete manual control. Ask yourself if shutter speed or aperture would add something more to the shot. Take pictures. Then when taking pictures become second nature to you. Try selecting ISO speed - would a grainy feel be better? High ISO is not just for low light situations.

You have good insight.

If the Ixus 50 serves your purposes better than the 40D, then go ahead and ENJOY the Ixus 50 :)

Carrying a frustrating piece of equipment around doesn't always makes you a better photographer but do detracts from your enjoyment of life.

Don't downgrade all the way . Sell your 40d for a prosumer . Once you get your confidence back then start back from entrylevel dslr . I nvr start with pns , I started with a d90 . I struggled , but you shouldn't give up easily . You should not solely rely on cs , rely on webs like kenrockwell . And also books from scottkelby . My 2cents , yeah .

if u are ok with ur compact, just use the compact then.
sell away ur dSLR setup and use the money for a holiday.

Hmm, I personally think that you shouldn't downgrade. What I recommend is books and a kahki. Find a nice book on photography(you can always rent from the library) and read the theory before going out and trying out the practical aspect of it.

Secondly, if you had a friend who shares the same interest in photography, go out and shoot some photos with him or her. Its quite amazing how fast this "forces" you to learn as the both of you tries to take the best photographs possible.

Finally, learn the general "rules" for lighting and composition. You don't have to follow them exactly. They are more like guidelines. And when you're ready, read up on filters and flash photography.

Its not going to be very easy, and remember to share the photos!

Cheers man

Hi all,

yorickt

There may be a bit of a paradigm issue ...

First and foremost, photography IS a technical discipline at all levels, but more so when you want more out of it than just say weekend snaps of friends and family, and even then, there are lovely snapshots that everyone admires, and tons of really bad ones.

Like just about ANY other form of applied or fine arts, there's no escaping the technical aspects of it. PERIOD.

There's just no escaping HARD and well-informed, educated smart WORK ...... regardless of what camera manufacturers' marketing departments want you to believe.

So, what's your next step?

Two things:

1) If getting a prosumer or advanced (every single one is these days) P&S brings you joy, forget the financial lost, forget the coolness factor of using a DSLR and go for the prosumer.

2) Could you be more specific about exactly what you mean when you say "never getting what I want out of my DSLR." and "Everything is a little too intimidating and confusing."

One refers to expectations (coming from an IXUS), and the other could be an issue of learning the controls, or knowing how a DSLR was designed to 'think'.

There's quite a big leap going from a P&S to a DSLR, and often, users going from the former find that the photos they get look crappy right out of the starting box, and wonder why they even bothered with a DSLR ... but like what others mentioned, you could try boosting every setting like color, saturation, contrast and sharpness and use it on 'P' mode first.

The 40D is a very capable camera. You will loose a lot financially if you sell it before realizing at least half it's capabilities.

Sometimes just getting around the menu seems like an uphill climb if you're not familiar with DSLRs. Have you gotten a friend to look at your settings and so on, or help you walk through the camera? The instruction manual is a wealth of information. Read it. Not browse through, not go to it now and then when you felt like it, but actually read, look up definitions on the net and reference. Better yet, go borrow books or look online for tutorials.

Last edited:
Join some of the photo shooting gathering here & learn from the seniors.
Once you understand more about your camera, you will be able to create magnificent photos.

Please don't get rid of your 40D first. :rolleyes:

use auto mode function first of your camera
join gathering/outing so you can ask about your camera's functions & capabilities

at first i also felt that sentiments like yours(all of my first pics for half year are mostly crap) but i just keep on shooting and reading about photography(internet really helps eg youtube)
i also look here in CS and other photography site for pictures and inspiration(it helps me to train my eyes(for differentiate the good and bad pictures)
and i believe if you really have the passion in photography you will really push yourself hard to achieve what you want(for whatever difficulties)

hope it helps you...goodluck to you :)

Keep your Canon 40D and get a used Prosumer.

After a while, you'll know when to use which camera.

you can't do much without a bit of knowledge, no matter how much you play.

my suggestion is to spend a week off, devouring photography books voraciously.

then go back to it, apply what you gleaned from the books. if that still doesn't work, then i hate to say this, but perhaps you really have a negative affinity for photography and it is best that the two part.

I'm with night86mare on this. Try taking a step back and reading some photography books. Learn about exposure, composition, attempt to find out what every function available on your camera does. If you're even half interested in photography, which you definitely are, you'll come back to your 40D with a renewed vigor. I'm very new to this as well so i can definitely understand what you're going through. Just keep at it, and it'll pay off eventually, i'm sure of it

When you first start taking pictures, dont focus too much on the functions of the DSLR...just stick it in P mode and shoot anything you fancy. As you do so, you will find yourself asking how to improve on the images you've taken, like "how do i isolate the flower from the background" or "How do i freeze the moving car while keeping the wheels and background blurred" or "how do i keep everything in the image in focus" which will naturally lead you to the 'pro modes' like Av, Tv, and M.

Last edited:
Don't downgrade your 40D yet, go and join some gathering photo shooting with the CSer.
Shoot more, post more, ask more and u will learn more from it. Happy shooting

I am unable to understand a very simple thing .... what is the difference between "Auto" mode in P&S and DSLR?
Can anyone please help me?

Note : Please be clear that I am not criticizing anyone, neither I am 'at war' with some one. :D We are here to exchange our experience and learn from each other. and finally, lets not talk about whether you want a BMW (DSLR) to go to wet market? that's a different thing already.
:D
Same way, don't say that I have so many buttons and I am too tempted to press all the buttons ;p

You start with "Auto" mode, then slowly/gradually move to Av and Tv and then move to M. To me, mostly I use Av and it does most of the things for me. for those special cases, I use Tv and very rarely I feel urge to use M ...

Last edited: