To consider Canon 18-55 IS or to get Tamron 17-55?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrokk

Jun 3, 2008
Jurong, Singapore
Dear all,

I have recently bought a 500D with a 50mm 1.8 Prime lens.
Although i realized the quality of the prime lens is great, i find that i need a zoom lens for everyday use, especially when i wanna take scenery.

Consider that i have the budget for the Tamron (Seems like a lot of people is recommending this and i jus ask CP and was offered $660), I would like to hear from all people here, should i invest? or should i buy a cheap Canon 18-55mm to start with?

Furthermore, i will be going to HK pretty soon, and was told that HK sell Tamron at a much cheaper price. I would also like to know if its worth while to buy in HK.

Many thanks for the guide. :)

Last edited:
i am anewbie in photography.

not sure how much is the tamron in HK, but i bought my tamron at CP at $640 via credit card. if you are paying cash, they can sell at $625.

to me, i like the tamron more than the kit lens. given its f2.8. good in low light situations however no IS. but personally i dun find that a prob... yet...

as mentioned. i am still a newbie. the experience ones here should be able to give you a more sound advise.

Yeah the Tamron 17-50 (not 55) f/2.8 is a generally well-rated lens.
I think the AF motor is slightly noisier than on the Canon lenses, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Not sure what the pricing is in HK. If you can get it at a good price, I'd say, go for the Tamron over the Canon kit lens.

Thanks for your advises.
Do you all have any other lens in this price range to recommend?

i think you can also consider sigma 18-50.

should be in this range too (if my memory serves me well)

Dear all,

Although i realized the quality of the prime lens is great, i find that i need a zoom lens for everyday use, especially when i wanna take scenery.

Consider that i have the budget for the Tamron (Seems like a lot of people is recommending this and i jus ask CP and was offered $660), I would like to hear from all people here, should i invest? or should i buy a cheap Canon 18-55mm to start with?

Furthermore, i will be going to HK pretty soon, and was told that HK sell Tamron at a much cheaper price. I would also like to know if its worth while to buy in HK.

and anyway the tamron is a 17-50mm,

not 17-55, just so you know. :)

Thanks for your advises.
Do you all have any other lens in this price range to recommend?

Hi, one piece of advice, I have use both 18-55mm IS and w/o IS. Most of the pics taken will be seen as quite clear via camera but on PC, it's a different story so despite what others may feel, personally for me, IS do plays a role (unless your hands are damn stable!). Tammy will be a good buy but only if compared to Canon (with IS) which cost 3 times as much else I will get a cheap 18-55mm with IS for practice 1st (which is what I am doing now). My 3 cts worth. :)

Thanks Lomo,

I have tried to make the change to 17-50 on the thread. Hope it works.

BTW, the 17-55 is pretty much over my budget. T_T
Like wat Infinity have said, the 18-55 with IS makes a lot of difference. A friend of mine also go the advice the kit lens to me.
But i have heard comments that the noise is high and the sharpness is not there.
Hence i felt if my budget permits, y not skip the kit lens and go for the better one.

I have research a bit on the Sigma 18-50, wat are you people comments about this lens?

the range of 18-55 or 17-55 and even 17-50, whatever within this lens range, is a good walkabout lens. The thing is, if you're on a budget, go for the cheapest one. If you're not, invest in a good one.

not sure if that helps at all. :sweat:

hi, i did check out the price for tammy when i was in hk this mth cos i'm also thinking of replacing my kit lens (18-55mm) with this.. and indeed it is cheaper than singapore. after conversion, it cost around SGD530.. which is about SGD80 to 100 cheaper, depending on the singapore shops that you are getting the lens at.

just a note that if you were to bring it in singapore, there are some shops which has got 3 years local warranty or 1 year international warranty. If you were to buy it in hk, it will have 1 year international warranty which was wat i understand from the shop. so if warranty plays a part in your decision making, this should be factored in.

Dear all,

Hi Hi

Got my tamron 17-50 from HK about 11 mths back. better prices then so got ard S$500. From Tin Cheung. Can google the website and email for quote.

It is a fantastic lens, not good enough to fully utilize this lens but here are some great examples :

Here

Here

Here

However, if budget is a concern, try out a 2nd hand 18-55 IS (around S$130ish ? ), reviews as a pretty good lens with the additional IS. :D

Happy shooting !!

Last edited:
Thanks JBK, my friend also told me the same thing. I was wondering if the 80-100 more justify the additional 2yrs warranty.
Any comments?

Thanks JIT, Those photos were nice.
I actually hav the budget for tat lens, but was considering if i should spurge...

Anyone got comments about the sigma ones?

heard sigma lens must be handled more carefully then any other lens in singapore. It's coating tends to peel off easily due to the weather's humidity.

Have handle all 4 lens before:

1. Canon 18-55mm kit lens non IS
2. Canon 18-55mm kit lens IS
3. Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
4. Canon 17-55mm F2.8 USM IS

My comments for
1. This lens is a toy......DO NOT BUY IT!
2. A great leap from the non IS version, good IQ for its price. Its a good starters lens. Recommended if you are trying out different zooming range.
3. Good image quality, F2.8 gives nice bokeh. However slight back focusing problem when mounted on canon body. I guess most third party lens give a very slight back/front focusing problem. Light and good for travel. This lens was still me for slightly more than a yr. No regrets.....Highly recommended if you have the budget for it.
4. I guess this lens needs no more recommendation. Its the lens that is mounted on my XXD camera most of the time. Excellent IQ ,colours and contrast.
Only con will be the build...

Have handle all 4 lens before:

1. Canon 18-55mm kit lens non IS
2. Canon 18-55mm kit lens IS
3. Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
4. Canon 17-55mm F2.8 USM IS

My comments for
1. This lens is a toy......DO NOT BUY IT!
2. A great leap from the non IS version, good IQ for its price. Its a good starters lens. Recommended if you are trying out different zooming range.
3. Good image quality, F2.8 gives nice bokeh. However slight back focusing problem when mounted on canon body. I guess most third party lens give a very slight back/front focusing problem. Light and good for travel. This lens was still me for slightly more than a yr. No regrets.....Highly recommended if you have the budget for it.
4. I guess this lens needs no more recommendation. Its the lens that is mounted on my XXD camera most of the time. Excellent IQ ,colours and contrast.
Only con will be the build...

Hey thanks a lot, i think like u say, i will most prob buy the tammy.
Only think is should i buy in HK (1yrs warranty) or SG (3yrs warranty).... sigh... delimma...:dunno:

Hey thanks a lot, i think like u say, i will most prob buy the tammy.
Only think is should i buy in HK (1yrs warranty) or SG (3yrs warranty).... sigh... delimma...:dunno:

I will be flying to HK soon but I still buy this lens 1 - 2 mths back in SG. Why? A couple of reasons: -

1) 2 more additional years of warranty. Better be safe than sorry. If your lens break down at the 2nd yr, it will cost more than $80 to repair.

2) I can test the lens slowly in SG. If there is anything wrong within the first few days, you can get it fixed. I bring 1 friend who knows photography well to test the lens and give me his opinion. This is pretty useful especially if you are not extremely familiar

3) Savings not really great $80/ $100. Unless you are buying a lens that cost $3000, else no point.

Just some of my views.

Last edited:
Hi htngwilliam,

In fact, i hav made some checks at CP and got a price of 660. From the Tin Cheung Website, the price listed was HK$2467 ~ SG$460
The $200 different is pretty tempting. Saving the $200 might allow me to get another tele lens. lol

I also think u hit spot on at pt 2. But i find it a bit paiseh to try out the lens at the shop. Some more i dun really know how to test the lens....T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.