To clean or not to clean the DSLR CMOS sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
I've been using my Canon D30 for about 2 years but somehow I can't really find any huge or very noticeable dust or dirt spots on the images I took, despite enlarging my image to more than 300% in Photoshop and inspecting closely.

So far I've only used a blower to blow any possible dust on the sensor, as recommended by the camera manual and did not touch it with anything else.

So should i then buy one of those cleaners and clean the sensor anyway? For eg, there's a good tip by CS member, sfhuang. Do you all clean the sensor on a regular basis whether or not there is dust?

Somehow I get different views about cleaning the sensor. Some still swear to only use blower and nothing else. Worse case is to send it to Canon centre. Yet I've heard the best way is to make contact with the sensor using swab. But.. is this safe? Will it scratch the sensor?

Thanks...

If dust is not a major problem in your pictures, I suggest you do not even touch the CMOS sensor. For me, I regularly clean my S2 Pro (previously S1 Pro) because the CCD is very, very prone to dust and those pesky specks do affect my pictures.

There are different views towards cleaning the sensor DIY-style or sending the camera to the agent for cleaning, or not even cleaning at all. It is all up to the individual IMO. But the fact of the matter is that, cleaning the sensor yourself with a swab will definitely bring in some risks. Nevertheless, if you use fresh, clean PecPads, it is very unlikely you will scratch the sensor with your PecPad-ded swab.

cheers,
sfhuang

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

in continuation of the previous post,

"If it's dirty, just clean it."

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

For myself, I just use the blower and blow the hell out at the sensor.

I would only recommend that you go back to Canon for cleaning... and NOT DIY...

Just my 2 cents worth.

my d30 also never gotten dirty for the last 6 months, so i never 'touch' it expect for using a blower once a while.

I cleaned my D100 once every 3-mths DIY, or if I have a photography assignment the next day. I see it's a matter of preference. Some do it, some don't, giving reasons that they are not confident of doing it. But I strongly feel that all should learn how to do it in case of emergency. Anyway, it's a easy thing to do. Trust me. :)

Yep, it's easy to DIY.

Hi, maybe you might want to check this thread out

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=49367

I totally agree that if there's no problem, DON'T TOUCH IT! :D But I couldn't resist....... Hehehehehehe

Anyway, if you read the links on the cleaning, its really just cleaning the filter rather than the actual sensor. Don't know if sway sway scratch this filter can change or not?? heheheheh NOT GOING THERE!

Enjoy!

HelmetBox said:
Hi, maybe you might want to check this thread out

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=49367

I totally agree that if there's no problem, DON'T TOUCH IT! :D But I couldn't resist....... Hehehehehehe

Anyway, if you read the links on the cleaning, its really just cleaning the filter rather than the actual sensor. Don't know if sway sway scratch this filter can change or not?? heheheheh NOT GOING THERE!

Enjoy!

A word of caution. If you screw up and scratch the filter/sensor, it is extremely unlikely that the warranty will cover it. However, if you're careful and follow the proper instructions (using lint-free cloth and methanol-based cleaning soln, and so on) you will do ok. The cleaning job is really easy and safe to do. :cool:

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and the links! Hmm, in that case, I won't "fix it" then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.