to buy or not to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampira

Feb 2, 2007
Tampines,Singapore
Gd morning!

should a newbie get an IS lens?I've alraedy got a 55-200mm USM II n the lense that comes with 400D kit.are they other tings that i shld get too?:think:

heheh..thx.

have a great day ahead :lovegrin:

tell me too

hmm I think its best that u do not get caught up in the euphoria of buying lots of lenses yet since u just got ur DSLR, rather i think u should get comfortable with shooting with what ever u have. Then decide if there is any range that u prefer, then spend some good money on getting the range which u will use.

Since u have the kit lens and the 55-200 think that will cover most of the situation that u will encounter liao. The next thing is to shoot shoot and shoot then decide what u really want. Then get the best that u can comfortably pay without selling ur soul, house or what not.

Haha i am a Nikon user (so not very familiar with what canon has), it has always been a dream to get the holy trinity (look around the Nikon forum and u will find out what they are). But i am prefectly happy with my 28-70 f2.8 Tokina (second hand but give damm sharp pics) and my 80-200 2 touch version (which i got after a few years shooting). Which has both does not has the canon equivalent of Canon's IS.

So take ur time to decide, and enjoy photography, look at some of photography's greats and u will see that sometimes they just use one fixed focal lens maybe two to take that timeless image.

1st you have to know what kind of photographs you like to shoot. 2nd you have to note which focal lengths you used most often. 3rd you have to look into your budget. You have to let us know these 3 things, then it'll be easier to advise you.

You are already covered from 18mm-200mm, which should cover almost all your shooting needs. Anything else is just an upgrade. Don't worry about what you should get next, just go out and shoot more. Eventually you'll know what you need.

hi hi.. thx to you who responded.i tink i shall stick to wat i have.coz i believe i wana do portraiture mostly.hmm i've got a free tripod along wif my dslr.so do enlighten me about flash.is the built-in one good enough or shld i try n get a mount type?which is good yet wont burn my pockets? i bought a LumiQuest Soft Screen frm cp.hmmm one more ting..how do i shoot nice pics using just a car sunshade reflector n natural lite?

hi hi.. thx to you who responded.i tink i shall stick to wat i have.coz i believe i wana do portraiture mostly.hmm i've got a free tripod along wif my dslr.so do enlighten me about flash.is the built-in one good enough or shld i try n get a mount type?which is good yet wont burn my pockets? i bought a LumiQuest Soft Screen frm cp.hmmm one more ting..how do i shoot nice pics using just a car sunshade reflector n natural lite?

If you're doing portraiture, you'll not want to use the built-in flash at all. Consider softboxes, etc.

For the "nice pics using just a car sunshade reflector".... Practice! (seriously)

for portrait shots, probably can get a cheap yet sharp 50mm f/1.8 lens, can also make use of the narrow depth of field to make the subject more distinguish.

for portrait shots, probably can get a cheap yet sharp 50mm f/1.8 lens, can also make use of the narrow depth of field to make the subject more distinguish.

thx..i need to learn alot sey

Gd morning!

should a newbie get an IS lens?I've alraedy got a 55-200mm USM II n the lense that comes with 400D kit.are they other tings that i shld get too?:think:

heheh..thx.

have a great day ahead :lovegrin:

U ask yourself. Do u need or do u want an IS lens? IS is more appropriate for tele zooms rather than wide or medium tele, unless u always shoot in very low light conditions. IMO no point spending extra for IS if u dun need it.

Other things to buy? External flash, tripod, cable release.

ok ok like i said..i'll stick to waht i have but do enlighten me on flashes.pretty please

ok ok like i said..i'll stick to waht i have but do enlighten me on flashes.pretty please

Built-in flashes usually are weaker and if used with a long lens, especially with hood, will cause a shadow at the bottom of your pics. Built-in flashes are also more susceptible to red-eye effect as they're closer to the axis of the lens.

External ones are a lot better as they're higher (means further away from the lens axis and reduces retina reflection) so reducing red-eye effect. External flashes also gives u the flexibility to bounce flash and be used with diffusers such as lightsphere, omnibounce and larger bounce cards to give that smooth and even distribution of light. Last but not least, external ones are definitely more powerful and will be very useful if needed to take far away objects.

Built-in flashes usually are weaker and if used with a long lens, especially with hood, will cause a shadow at the bottom of your pics. Built-in flashes are also more susceptible to red-eye effect as they're closer to the axis of the lens.

External ones are a lot better as they're higher (means further away from the lens axis and reduces retina reflection) so reducing red-eye effect. External flashes also gives u the flexibility to bounce flash and be used with diffusers such as lightsphere, omnibounce and larger bounce cards to give that smooth and even distribution of light. Last but not least, external ones are definitely more powerful and will be very useful if needed to take far away objects.

Thank you snoweagle..are there any good canon 400D compatible flashes below the price range $300?sumhw I dun tink so rite?rite?

Below $300, you can get canon flash EX-420 2nd hand. You can try at B&S section.

The other option, you can buy 3rd party flashes (Sigma etc..).

Hope this is help.

thx thx..i'll check it out..meanwhile i'll need to storm my brain if i really need it before mastering proper n gd shoots.thx HVB88

well i think u should use what u have get a tripod, cable release... :D :D

and flash get a 580EX :D :D but a cheaper version is the 480EX, why u would want to get it?

1. ability to direct flash to bounce off walls/ceilling instead off the subject
2. onboard flash lacks the ability to position

~other reasons, i can;lt think of, but i do really like my 580EX :D~

and flash get a 580EX :D :D but a cheaper version is the 480EX, why u would want to get it?

thx...kagari.i'll welcome more advices,pointers n tips from u shooters out here..

Thank you snoweagle..are there any good canon 400D compatible flashes below the price range $300?sumhw I dun tink so rite?rite?

All EX speedlites are compatible with the 400D. As said above a 2nd-hand 420EX can be had for that price but that flash does not have manual controls. I used to have this flash but have upgraded to 580EX.

Maybe u would want to increase your budget to around $400+ to get a new 430EX.

I think u mean the 430EX rite?

*checks canon numbering*

ah yes 430~~~ gomen~~~ *is very bad @ numbers*

Status
Not open for further replies.