To buy new or 2nd hand DSLR for beginners

speedant

Jun 28, 2007
Bukit Panjang
Dear Seniors,

I am currently using Canon Powershot S5IS, I am thinking of getting a Canon DSLR like 550D, need advice as to buy a 2nd hand or new camera and the related accessories? I have a tripod with ballhead already. Got some tight budget to look into. Thanks!:)

Hmm it all boils down to your budget and your comfort level with 2nd hand equipment

You have to define your budget as well as the type of photographs you like to take..

For 2nd hand body, it will be good if you know HOW to check the body. Things like shutter count, the condition of the body, fungus infected sensors etc. Best to bring an experienced friend along if you are getting a 2nd hand one..

If you have a tight budget of let's say 1k, consider Pentax KR dual kit lens combo..

you might want to consider if your tripod with the ballhead can stand the weight of the camera and lenses that you place on it. then you might want to budget in a new tripod also, along with a camera bag.

and please state your budget or no one can recommend you what to get

You can't do anything wrong with 2nd hand cameras as long as they are handled well. It's not that they stop working after 15 months of warranty. Read the various sticky threads, define your budget and your needs, make yourself familiar. Use Google to find common issues (if there are). To me it looks as if 2nd hand items are rather a question of people's attitude, not a question of failing technology.

For peace of mind go with a new camera. I just upgraded from Canon S5IS to 600D. That's where the BBB virus started :D

Like what others had already stated, it all depends on your budget and frankly if you are comfortable with 2nd stuff. And also when buying second hand product, please be sure you know how to check the product.

Finally, do check our stickies on what camera to buy... don't just limit yourself to Canon, there are other brands out there that create camera systems that are just as good (or better as many would have claimed - though I tend to disagreed, but... oh well...) and value for money too.

to be honest, i find 2nd hand bodies to be great savings, but i won't risk it.
how much price difference are you looking at? for that $100-$300, i'd prefer a piece of mind getting a new set with fresh warranty.

Dear Seniors,

I am currently using Canon Powershot S5IS, I am thinking of getting a Canon DSLR like 550D, need advice as to buy a 2nd hand or new camera and the related accessories? I have a tripod with ballhead already. Got some tight budget to look into. Thanks!:)

if u can get a friend to help you check, buy 2nd hand.

I find there is no point getting new unless u are very sure u want a DSLR.

I have a handful of friends buy already, put in the dry cabinet for 1/ 2 year and than sell it at a great loss.

Your loss will be reduced if you get a 2nd hand body.

Furthermore, with the technology changing so fast, what you purchase today may be outdated in a year times.

This 6 months gracing period is also a good period for you to exposure the limitation and you are more likely to know what you need and want.

By then, it is pretty safe to consider a new and better feature body.

ermm, u are not buying car right?

if got the budget, why settle for second hand? Especially if u are not sure what to check for when u buy second hand.

just make sure the amount u save its worth it. no point saving 100 for a used cam..

for me if the different its not much i will just get a new 1

Thank you very much for the kind advices and guidance! Really have to spend more time in reading other stickies n reviews of other brands n models. And really alot more to learn from you seniors!! Appreciate all replies to this thread!