To buy a D10 or 70-200L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagenuk

Feb 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Just got my bonus :) But $ only enough to buy one. So was caught between either getting a Canon D10 or 70-200mm IS L.

Was thinking of going to digital so can save money on printing and scanning. But DSLR get outdated and obseleted very fast.

Can someone advise which is better ? Get a zoom lens and stick to film till DSLR stablised ?

At the moment I only have EOS 3, 28-80mm, 550EX.

Get the lens. It will improve your images faster.

If you get the 10D, you will also need a few CF cards & Nixvue Harddisks, and a lot of photoshopping time. You may think that you don't need them, but you really do if you got the 10D or 300D, or any other DSLR.

How come you have expensive body, expensive flash, and cheap lens?

If your lens is the consumer zoom type, then the 70-200 will make a difference in the picture quality even if you continue shooting the same way. You might be more reluctant to go shooting though - the 70-200IS is not exactly a walkaround lens.

There are strong reasons to get a 10D too. i was using an EOS 3 too at the beginning of the year. Got a 10D in April.

The learning rate shoots up significantly at one's first dSLR. i get all my f-stop/shutter speeds recorded, i get to change ISO on the fly, i get to see my exposure errors in the histogram - esp for low or tricky light. i believe the instant feedback brings one's photography to the next higher level. The skills and knowledge gleaned can be reapplied back to shooting film.

i sold the EOS 3 shortly due to underutilization.

The EOS 3 is a pro-body, of course. Compared to the 10D, you will (instantly!) miss the lightning AF speed, 45 AF-points, the HUGE viewfinder, and if applicable to you, ECF.

The 70-200/2.8L IS is a dream lens. It's very pricey though. Maybe you can consider splitting your bonus to get a few lenses instead.

Anyway, tough choice. Your call. Happy shopping, and happy shooting.

Buy the lens bah.
Cos get a 10D, ur 28-80mm will not be wide enough if u need to shoot a lot on wide angle. Then u need to get another wide angle lens which is expensive.

actually theres nothing undesirable with a pro body +cheap lens. ur outfit is perfectly ok. i prefer it this way (handling-wise is better)than the other way round (weak body + pro lens= feels lopsided).

Dslr wont accelerate ur learning curve exponentially. theres no need for all the techno xtras to help u along; is easy to remember exposure settings for all the shots u ever took. coz they dont vary much at all in the first place. (at least thats my case) changing ISO on the fly is a plus point but using films with unchangeable ISO force u to learn how to ration and plan on the fly. better, right? :) of course, i will welcome conveniences anytime :p

eos3 is cheap nowadays anyway...so get the lens.

cheers

Thanks for everyone advise, seem like most of you have the same thinking as me. Get the lens ! Maybe I also consider get a lower end like f4 L, with that can get 2 lens rather than 2.8 since I also travel much.

Who knows 6 months down the road Canon may release a EOS 3D with 11pix : )

Status
Not open for further replies.